opinions on 6.5 yo booster vs harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcymc

My 6yo dd has been riding in a Nauti in my car. She is in DHs car in a TB only 10 min once per week. I recently ordered a parkway SGL. She rode in it twice in my car and is now asking for it to be her everyday seat. She is small- just 40 lbs. She is responsible when riding in a booster. She is telling me everyone in her class is in a booster (almost everyone in my 4 year old's class is too :rolleyes: ) I did talk to her about being as safe as she could be in the harness. I feel better with the crotch strap.

I keep going back and forth. I thought maybe when she turned 7 (May), or maybe after the winter. She could be harnessed until 4th grade probably.

Does anyone else have small kids? When did you move to a booster full time?

ADS

Baylor

For me, I would keep her harnessed at that weight. but that is just my opinion.. not an expert one.

I would just feel better that way, At least til she was a little bigger.

Maedze

As you have been told numerous times, Baylor, there is no reason to keep her harnessed 'at that weight'. Child passenger safety is based in facts and research, and although people's opinions do play a part, they do not justify misrepresenting the facts.

OP, if she is mature and will be 'good' every single ride, I'd get her a booster. There's absolutely no reason to keep her harnessed outside of seatbelt immaturity and it doesn't sound like that's an issue.

Being 'small' is no different from being average sized, in terms of booster readiness, as long as the booster fits well.

My son switched from harnessed to booster mode shortly after his sixth birthday. He's done perfectly.

christineka

If the child can sit properly, then the booster is fine. I keep going back and forth with my 7 year old ds because he keeps moving around so he's not properly positioned under the belt, but he's nearly 8 and should be able to sit properly in a booster. My 6 year old is a tiny 35 pounds. She sits nicely in a booster, but I'm not even going to attempt to put her in the booster full time due to a tight three across and the fact that she has oodles of room to grow in her radian. If my ds could stay still in a booster, I'd let him. If we had the room, I'd let my 6 year old ride in a booster too. There are no hard facts about what is safer for an older kid. We know rear-facing is safe, but whether ffing harnessed or ffing in a booster, we only have conjecture, but we do know, the seatbelt must be in the proper place to protect the child.

Baylor

As you have been told numerous times, Baylor, there is no reason to keep her harnessed 'at that weight'. Child passenger safety is based in facts and research, and although people's opinions do play a part, they do not justify misrepresenting the facts.

OP, if she is mature and will be 'good' every single ride, I'd get her a booster. There's absolutely no reason to keep her harnessed outside of seatbelt immaturity and it doesn't sound like that's an issue.

Being 'small' is no different from being average sized, in terms of booster readiness, as long as the booster fits well.

My son switched from harnessed to booster mode shortly after his sixth birthday. He's done perfectly.

I did not misrepresent anything... Just gave a mom's opinion...

Maedze

I did not misrepresent anything... Just gave a mom's opinion...

Yes, you did.

I have not responded to a single thing you've said since you started posting until yesterday, but I've watched you misrepresent the facts, twist the truth, and abuse technicians and advocates who correct you, on a daily basis.

Please do not start with me. I'm not as patient as some others.

If you want a site where 'opinions' are of primary value, I'd suggest something that isn't based so much in research, technical review and scientifically conducted studies.

munchkin

As long as she has the 'booster maturity' and the belt placement is good (lap belt on/under hips, shoulder belt in middle of shoulder) I would be ok with her riding in a booster full time. Only you know your kid; if she will stay in position for an entire ride and not mess around with the belt and responsibility of being in a booster I say go for it :thumbsup:. I think the slideguard is an especially good choice at her size. Not that I think she NEEDS it (I am ok with her in the turbo), but just a little extra to keep her safe.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
We don't really have any evidence as to whether or not a booster or harness is safer at that age. We also do not have much to go on as far as whether or not weight even plays much into it. For all we know, a 40 lb 6 yo might perform better, worse or the same as a 65 lb 6 yo.

We like to focus on maturity...can the child stay in position for the entire ride, every time? Does the booster itself position the belts correctly on her hips and shoulder?

If she is 6 yo, and the answers to those questions are yes, then she is likely very safe in a booster.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have absolutely no opinion on whether she should be in a booster or a harness. ;)

They are both very, very, very safe when properly used. There is no evidence that one is safer than the other. It is reasonable and safe to choose based on preference and convenience.

Chameleon

Absolutely use a booster if she's asking to AND she can handle sitting properly. It is perfectly safe either way. We have no evidence to say which is safer. My son is 5 and uses one full time now. My DD is almost 8 and has been in a booster full time since 6 years old. It all depends on maturity.

Edited to say we have the SG for my DS and he loves it although there is no evidence that the extra slide guard is any safer either.

canadiangie

I'll chime in, from Canada, land of 'we don't booster until 40 pounds'. ;)

At age 6+ and having reached 40lbs, and showing signs of maturity as you say, I would have no issue with a well fitting highback booster.

Or, if you feel more comfy with a 5 point harness, then maybe get her through the winter, or until her next birthday.

At this point you've reached the stage where as long as you are using each option correctly, your dd will be very well protected in the event of a collision.

You pick... and please do it with confidence, and know that you ARE providing her a safe seating option no matter what you choose. :)

Baylor: over 40 pounds and over age 6 is a perfectly safe time to transition to a booster. Really. We all promise.

NVMBR02

I moved my dd1 to a booster at about that age and weight. She reached 40 pounds about 3 months after she turned 6. She had been begging to use a booster full time for about a year at that point and I knew she would sit correctly everytime.
She is happy and I am content that she is safe. :thumbsup:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
As per prior warnings on various threads and announcements, infractions and bans are now being issued for those who have continue to incite drama. bully other members or have disregarded the advice to ignore members rather than confront them on the forums.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Hi marcymc, I sincerely apologize for having to close your thread due to issues not related to your post. Please check your private messages. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC