Idea: Freecycle, etc. (SMILIES warning)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Although I've noticed other Freecycles prohibit offering used safety seats, my local Freecycle sucks -- their excuse to allow used seats is that some people might use them for artistic purpses.... PUHLEEZ! What's the chance of that? I'm guess like less than 1% :confused: :thumbsdown: It was like pulling teeth just to get them to post a link to the Used Seat Checklist from the NY state Gov. Traffic Safety website & still no addition to the rules about actually using it :mad: I've rescued dozens of seats in the past 2 years & only 1 was not expired or otherwise unsafe :( The admin never approves of my posts to the list about the issue & never responds to my attempts at communication (to be fair on that count, I have grown so frustrated that I've accused him/her of simply not caring whether the children in our community live or die :eek:) Sooooo, instead I simply keep reposting "WANTED: child safety seats: carseats/boosters" (signed SafeKids certified Child Passenger Safety Technician: seats will be used for training purposes) :whistle: I've gotten a bunch more seats in a much shorter timeframe this way & guess what -- they're all unsafe. But, to make matters worse yet still, the admin continues to edit out my disclaimer that all used seats must be demolished or donated to CPSTs :dizzy: :doh:

ADS

JaRylan

You're serious, they edit the rest of your message? That is just wrong. At least you are getting some seats off the market.

southpawboston

several months i gave away a perfectly legal and safe snugride on one of my three local freecycles... mfr date of 09/02, 1st owner (okay, not really, but it was given to me by a close sibling who bought it new, so in the family), all manuals, warning labels, LATCH belt, properly routed harness, etc... double checked and cleared for the recall that affected some of the snugrides, etc...

on a side note, i actually turned down giving it to someone who drove up in a late-model BMW X5 (i had to lie and tell them i realized i had lost a part to it). i then eventually gave it to a needy family of four kids and a newborn whose entire fleet of carseats was pretty grim.

not taking sides here, but in trying to understand both sides of the coin here, i guess the reason the admin is editing out your comment is because, although you say that all used seats MUST be demolished or donated to CPSTs, we know that really isn't true (by law)... we "well-informed" CPS advocates regularly sell/swap carseats as we please, with complete confidence. yet we want to prohibit non-advocates from doing the same by creating a blanket policy against any trading or selling? yes, we know CPS better than 99% of the population and we know how to identify an unsafe seat, but as well intensioned as your efforts are, i can see why the admin would take that stance.

ETA:

i can understand your frustration, but i wonder if using a less alienating warning (i.e., saying MUST when in fact that is not true), if you tried to explain the facts as they are (high percentage of unsafe seats being traded/donated), then people may make good faith efforts to understand and take appropriate action. also remember that the people donating on freecycle, in general, are a little more open-minded than the people on craigslist. people who take the time to post on freecycle are not looking to make a dime on these carseats... they have good (if misguided) intentions and with, proper (and convincing!!) reasoning, they may be pursuaded to trash the seats or donate them to a CPST instead of another family. i think the key is in the wording of your freecycle posts. telling people they MUST not sell or trade a carseat and that they MUST destroy it is not persuasive... it's actually a little arrogant and alienating, reminiscent of some of the emails sent to craigslist posters.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I did write "must" here, but that was a typo -- to Freecycle, I explain that it's safest practice, linking to the Used Seat Checklist.... It's just inappropriate to edit out lifesaving information from someone who has a certification or lisence or degree on the particular issue *SIGH* If this were the other city I lived in where there's absolutely no other resource for needy families, it wouldn't bother me so much, but we have 2 permanent fitting stations in this small town! Families just need help finding the SAFER alternatives yet our Freecycle doesn't allow it :soapbox:

gwenvet

I always email the posters of "Wanted carseats" that they shouldn't use a secondhand seat unless they are from a very reliable source and I tell them what to look for. I also point them to the two CPST's in the area who often have new seats to give out. I like your idea about us posting a wanted ad saying that they will be used for training! I think I'll try that.

southpawboston

I always email the posters of "Wanted carseats" that they shouldn't use a secondhand seat unless they are from a very reliable source and I tell them what to look for. I also point them to the two CPST's in the area who often have new seats to give out. I like your idea about us posting a wanted ad saying that they will be used for training! I think I'll try that.

i like your approach... emailing potential takers. then they can make an informed decision. the wanted ad for seats for training purposes is good also. if it can be worded in such a way as to make potential donors feel really good about their donation-- that they are contributing to a cause, all the better!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I tried that as well -- no one seemed to care or "get it" ... taking the seats before they reach the hands of new users is more effective ;) It's just more difficult to keep up with offers than it is to post a wanted :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC