Summer Infant Prodigy

NannyMom

Have we heard of this seat? I don't remember it at all. Parenting dot com says it's available in January, and it's one of their top 10 convertible seats :rolleyes: Uh, but it's an infant carrier.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Re: Summer Infan Prodigy

Yep, there have been a few threads. I don't wanna search though, because my internet is uber slow today.

christineka

Yeah, it was at the latest convention. It has a digital display to show whether it is installed correctly or not. Or maybe that's if the harness is tight enough.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

The sucker's supposed to practically install itself. Should be interesting. :rolleyes:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

I dunno about that belt tightener jobby. It looks pretty Mighty-Titish to me.

Kat_Momof3

it's definitely an infant seat... don't know why they would call it a convertible seat... I'd contact parenting.com's customer support and complain about that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

I dunno about that belt tightener jobby. It looks pretty Mighty-Titish to me.

Or like the Orbit strong arm thingie? Or there's a euro seat with a built in ratchet. Nothing wrong with ratchets inherently, except for overzealous parents doing them too tight and mucking up their seatbelts (ratchets on ratchet straps are excellent technology, it seems to me that the straps on those are thicker or something than seatbelts, I guess?)
If this has a self-limiter to prevent overtightening, it's probably pretty cool. If not, I agree, serious potential for messed up seatbelts...

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor

The rachet device is very mighty-titeish but the smiley face on the electronic feedback display will lite up when it's "tight enough". If Summer Infant wants to make it idiot proof then they'd do the smart thing and make a frowny face appear when it's substantially over-tightened. Or at least make the smiley face disappear if someone gets carried away.

Other than the potential for seriously over-tightening the webbing (to the point of damaging the seatbelt or LATCH belt) it seemed like a cool infant seat with some really innovative features. It also has that SafeGuard harness technology from their ambulance seat (I can't remember its name) where you pull the harness adjuster strap and the harness height automatically lowers to the tops of the child's shoulders. But the stroller that it will come with initially is very Graco MetroLite-ish, IIRC.

Baylor

The rachet device is very mighty-titeish but the smiley face on the electronic feedback display will lite up when it's "tight enough". If Summer Infant wants to make it idiot proof then they'd do the smart thing and make a frowny face appear when it's substantially over-tightened. Or at least make the smiley face disappear if someone gets carried away.

Other than the potential for seriously over-tightening the webbing (to the point of damaging the seatbelt or LATCH belt) it seemed like a cool infant seat with some really innovative features. It also has that SafeGuard harness technology from their ambulance seat (I can't remember its name) where you pull the harness adjuster strap and the harness height automatically lowers to the tops of the child's shoulders. But the stroller that it will come with initially is very Graco MetroLite-ish, IIRC.

Does it work like the mighty tite? Does it ratchet the seat belt back into seat belt track?( Sorry don't know the technical name) Or does it take up slack and store it in the seat as the mighty tite stores the slack?
I hope this makes sense.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor

From what I remember, it works very similar to the mighty-tite. It does not feed the excess webbing back into the vehicle's retractor (I think that was the word you were looking for?). It stores the excess webbing on a spool (is that the word I'm looking for? ~ not sure) inside the base.

Baylor

From what I remember, it works very similar to the mighty-tite. It does not feed the excess webbing back into the vehicle's retractor (I think that was the word you were looking for?). It stores the excess webbing on a spool (is that the word I'm looking for? ~ not sure) inside the base.

Yep That is the word.. Sorry.. Thanks.

But this is different than the mighty tite because it is part of the seat and not an after market product, correct? It is made to work this way and that is why it would be a safe feature on that seat?

Thank you!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

What would be even better is if the smiley face started to make a strangling-eyes-popping-open face when it started to overtighten. Kinda like this :eek:

NannyMom

I do remember hearing about this. It'll be interesting to see it for real.

it's definitely an infant seat... don't know why they would call it a convertible seat... I'd contact parenting.com's customer support and complain about that.

A friend knows a senior editor there, and she emailed her. They had 3 infant seats listed as their top 10 convertibles. And can you guess which was number 1?? The 3-in1. Because it can take you "from hospital to kindergarten" :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC