News CPSC Approves Strong New Crib Safety Standards To Ensure a Safe Sleep for Babies and Toddlers

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) voted unanimously to approve new mandatory standards for full-size and non-full-size baby cribs as mandated by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA). The federal crib standards had not been updated in nearly 30 years and these new rules are expected to usher in a safer generation of cribs.

More...

ADS

Athena

Thank you for posting this!

So it will be illegal to resell a crib that does not meet the new standards, right? Anyone know where those new standards are clearly spelled out? I see that they cannot have drop sides and they are requiring stronger, more durable hardware, but how do I know if my crib's hardware meets that new standard? It is a good quality, sturdy, expensive crib (we're the first owners) with metal on metal hardware that we believe to be quite safe (or we wouldn't be using it). Given that, I was planning to resell it next year and was counting on that contribution to our next bed.

I skimmed through several documents related to this on their site and they talk a lot about who will be required to follow the new standard, but little about how we know whether or not our cribs actually meet that standard.

If anyone found the info, please let me know. Thank you!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Glad my metal railed double drop-side crib is never going to leave our family! I do not hesitate to use it as there are no plastic parts and the metal rails go completely thru the whole rail top to bottom.

It is a beautiful crib and has been in my family for 30 years. I had it professionally refinished when DD1 was born just in case it had lead paint. It meets all current standards, other than this new ban on the drop-sides...

rosey2007

I am worried that with the new standards its going to up the price on baby cribs to a price a lot of folks cannot afford to pay. Don't get me wrong I think the new standards are great, but the price of this could be to high for some of us.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I am worried that with the new standards its going to up the price on baby cribs to a price a lot of folks cannot afford to pay. Don't get me wrong I think the new standards are great, but the price of this could be to high for some of us.

I thought that exact thing. I wouldn't be able to afford more than the $100 one at Walmart...forget $3-400 at Babies R Us...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought that exact thing. I wouldn't be able to afford more than the $100 one at Walmart...forget $3-400 at Babies R Us...

The Graco cribs are made by Baby Italia and only cost $139, even at BRU. There may be some price increase with these new standards overall, but they'll figure out a way to keep things that people can still actually afford :thumbsup:

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Glad my metal railed double drop-side crib is never going to leave our family! I do not hesitate to use it as there are no plastic parts and the metal rails go completely thru the whole rail top to bottom.

It is a beautiful crib and has been in my family for 30 years. I had it professionally refinished when DD1 was born just in case it had lead paint. It meets all current standards, other than this new ban on the drop-sides...

What does yours look like. Can you post a pic? We have a child craft oak double drop side that I used with my older three kids. It also has all metal hardware with the rods that go through the sides.

We bought a generation next crib by baby's dream when we had last child. I'm hoping to convert it into a full size bed when she gets a room of her own. Since out growing the crib she's in the bottom of a bunk bed.

BananaBoat

IKEA has for many years & still does sell very sturdy, fixed-sided cribs starting UNDER $100. We've had one for DD for 2.5 years that is in perfect shape & is solid wood. Currently it costs $129 & I climb into it with DD everyday :love:

Of course, this morning she decided to figure out how to climb out :eek: So back to IKEA we go today to get her a twin bed. I'm so not ready for this!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What does yours look like. Can you post a pic? We have a child craft oak double drop side that I used with my older three kids. It also has all metal hardware with the rods that go through the sides.

best pic I have right now...I can take another later...
We have the front rail off or DD4 as a "toddler bed". The other rail is tucked behind it.

Last edited:

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Thanks for the pic. We have this one. So does the law say that we cannot use these in our home? Ours does not have any recall and it is solid oak. It is a rock solid crib. I've been saving it to use with grandchildren some day and DH says I should trash it. It has a few scratches and teeth marks but I can't let it go. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
If it isn't recalled, and the bars are closed enough together, I would use it.

:yeahthat:

Mine was purchased in 1979, used by my sister(1979), me (1980), my cousins in 1985 and '88. Refinished and has been in continuous use from 2000 to now with 4 of my 5 kids and my niece. It will be kept and used for our grandkids barring any new laws that say it is unsafe (bar spacing etc).

This says they are banned from sale or resale or giving away if I read it correctly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC