Britax Multi-Tech - need to replace after crash w/o kids?

Leche Mami

My DH was rear-ended. No passengers in the car. We have a Britax Multi-Tech behind the passenger's seat. Does this need to be replaced?

We also have a TrueFit Premier behind the drivers seat. Anyone know policy/recommendations on that one as well?

Thanks!

ADS

lenats31

My DH was rear-ended. No passengers in the car. We have a Britax Multi-Tech behind the passenger's seat. Does this need to be replaced?

We also have a TrueFit Premier behind the drivers seat. Anyone know policy/recommendations on that one as well?

Thanks!

As far as I can recall, Britax in Sweden recommends replacing the car seat if the speed is 15+ km/h. You need to divide that by 1,64 in order to get that in mph. Adventuredad co-operates with Britax in Sweden.:)

Lena

Adventuredad

Sorry to hear about your collision. Habits regarding replacement of car seats after collisions vary a lot by country. A Polish customer recently had the car basically destroyed and insurance company refused replacements of seats. Here in Sweden we replace seats after a crash regardless of circumstances.

We recently had a customer whose car rolled off the driveway and into a tree in the backyard. Car barely had a dent. Speed was approximately 2 mph but insurance company insisted on replacing seats despite the extremely minor collision. Perhaps a bit too careful.....?:)

Do you have more details about the collision? Approximate speed? Condition of car?

If you need a new MT right away before insurance company makes a decision we can ship one over for you. If they don't replace the full value we'll work something out.

Leche Mami

Thanks. Both cars were stopped at a red light. Driver behind DH stepped on gas and crashed into our car which was still waiting for light to turn green. So, speed was low. DH said his head didn't whip forward or anything. We have a Volvo V40 and were hit by a Volvo S60. No visible damage on our car. S60 hit off-center and had front crunched in a bit.

Insurance said it doesn't meet requirements for seat replacement. Our insurance broker said he'd fight that for us though if manufacturer guidelines say to replace after any crash. Not sure about this seat though since it isn't a US spec seat.

khanbulgarski

Hello,

I am joining this, because I was in a similar situation involving a sort of a crash with my TWE and Besafe Izi Combi X3. I was skidding because of ice and hit a the curbstone on the side of the road at about 20-30 km/h. As a result a small piece of the front wheel's rim was broken but apart from that there was no other damage to the car. Both car seats were empty and unrestrained. Do you think they could have been damaged and do I need to replace them?

Adventuredad

Difficult to say but it doesn't really sound like Khanbulgarski was in a crash......

Regarding Leche Miami, do we have a speed estimate? Speed was low, is that 3 mph or 20 mph? According to poster above TF needs to be replaced after a any collision.

I think it's difficult to say if seats should be replaced in these minor incidents since habits vary so much depending on country.

khanbulgarski

The owner's manual states to replace after any accident.

Yeah, but what is an accident exactly? What if you scratch the paint during off-road or ground the car? What if go over a speed ramp with high speed and the whole car jumps violently? For me this 'any accident' thing is a bit too vague leaving to individuals to decide what qualifies as a legitimate reason to change the car seat. I think manufacturers should be more specific and give guidelines like the American authorities.

Last edited:

Adventuredad

There are no exact guidelines for what an "accident" is since it varies so much by country. It's normally:

A traffic collision (motor vehicle collision, motor vehicle accident, car accident, or car crash) occurs when a road vehicle collides with another vehicle, pedestrian, animal, road debris, or other geographical or architectural obstacle.

Some insurance companies say seats need to be replaced in accidents over 10 mph, some when airbag deploy, some replace after accident at any speed and there are those who basically don't want to replace seats even in high speed collisions.

I would not call "What if go over a speed ramp with high speed and the whole car jumps violently" an accident. Your TWE is half jokingly described as being able to survice a nuclear explosion.:D The seat is simply unbelievably strong.

The main issue is that insurance companies in various countries have such different policies.

dubhreubel

There are no exact guidelines for what an "accident" is since it varies so much by country. It's normally:

Some insurance companies say seats need to be replaced in accidents over 10 mph, some when airbag deploy, some replace after accident at any speed and there are those who basically don't want to replace seats even in high speed collisions.

I would not call "What if go over a speed ramp with high speed and the whole car jumps violently" an accident. Your TWE is half jokingly described as being able to survice a nuclear explosion.:D The seat is simply unbelievably strong.

The main issue is that insurance companies in various countries have such different policies.

We got lucky since our insurance replaced our seat no problem, but Our car was totaled (written off completely) and the air bags didn't deploy. I think insurance companies have to (or should have to?) bend to manufacturer guidelines, not just make up their own.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC