Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Britax Multi-Tech - need to replace after crash w/o kids?

My DH was rear-ended. No passengers in the car. We have a Britax Multi-Tech behind the passenger's seat. Does this need to be replaced?

We also have a TrueFit Premier behind the drivers seat. Anyone know policy/recommendations on that one as well?

Thanks!
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Britax Multi-Tech - need to replace after crash w/o kids?

I'd contact Adventuredad about the MT. Sorry that happened.

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Leche Mami View Post
    My DH was rear-ended. No passengers in the car. We have a Britax Multi-Tech behind the passenger's seat. Does this need to be replaced?

We also have a TrueFit Premier behind the drivers seat. Anyone know policy/recommendations on that one as well?

Thanks!
    As far as I can recall, Britax in Sweden recommends replacing the car seat if the speed is 15+ km/h. You need to divide that by 1,64 in order to get that in mph. Adventuredad co-operates with Britax in Sweden.

Lena
    Fancy a Sitbag?
    Model: Mathias. Car seat: Britax Multi-Tech

TrueFit is replace after any crash.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your collision. Habits regarding replacement of car seats after collisions vary a lot by country. A Polish customer recently had the car basically destroyed and insurance company refused replacements of seats. Here in Sweden we replace seats after a crash regardless of circumstances.

We recently had a customer whose car rolled off the driveway and into a tree in the backyard. Car barely had a dent. Speed was approximately 2 mph but insurance company insisted on replacing seats despite the extremely minor collision. Perhaps a bit too careful.....?:-)

Do you have more details about the collision? Approximate speed? Condition of car?

If you need a new MT right away before insurance company makes a decision we can ship one over for you. If they don't replace the full value we'll work something out.
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

Carseat Crazy

Thanks. Both cars were stopped at a red light. Driver behind DH stepped on gas and crashed into our car which was still waiting for light to turn green. So, speed was low. DH said his head didn't whip forward or anything. We have a Volvo V40 and were hit by a Volvo S60. No visible damage on our car. S60 hit off-center and had front crunched in a bit.

Insurance said it doesn't meet requirements for seat replacement. Our insurance broker said he'd fight that for us though if manufacturer guidelines say to replace after any crash. Not sure about this seat though since it isn't a US spec seat.
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Carseat Crazy

I still need guidance on whether to replace the MT. Any additional info?
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Hello,

I am joining this, because I was in a similar situation involving a sort of a crash with my TWE and Besafe Izi Combi X3. I was skidding because of ice and hit a the curbstone on the side of the road at about 20-30 km/h. As a result a small piece of the front wheel's rim was broken but apart from that there was no other damage to the car. Both car seats were empty and unrestrained. Do you think they could have been damaged and do I need to replace them?

Difficult to say but it doesn't really sound like Khanbulgarski was in a crash......

Regarding Leche Miami, do we have a speed estimate? Speed was low, is that 3 mph or 20 mph? According to poster above TF needs to be replaced after a any collision.

I think it's difficult to say if seats should be replaced in these minor incidents since habits vary so much depending on country.
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Leche Mami View Post
    I still need guidance on whether to replace the MT. Any additional info?
    The owner's manual states to replace after any accident.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    The owner's manual states to replace after any accident.
    Yeah, but what is an accident exactly? What if you scratch the paint during off-road or ground the car? What if go over a speed ramp with high speed and the whole car jumps violently? For me this 'any accident' thing is a bit too vague leaving to individuals to decide what qualifies as a legitimate reason to change the car seat. I think manufacturers should be more specific and give guidelines like the American authorities.
    Last edited by khanbulgarski; 12-30-2010 at 02:30 AM.

There are no exact guidelines for what an "accident" is since it varies so much by country. It's normally:

A traffic collision (motor vehicle collision, motor vehicle accident, car accident, or car crash) occurs when a road vehicle collides with another vehicle, pedestrian, animal, road debris, or other geographical or architectural obstacle.
    Some insurance companies say seats need to be replaced in accidents over 10 mph, some when airbag deploy, some replace after accident at any speed and there are those who basically don't want to replace seats even in high speed collisions.

I would not call "What if go over a speed ramp with high speed and the whole car jumps violently" an accident. Your TWE is half jokingly described as being able to survice a nuclear explosion. The seat is simply unbelievably strong.

The main issue is that insurance companies in various countries have such different policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post
    There are no exact guidelines for what an "accident" is since it varies so much by country. It's normally:

Some insurance companies say seats need to be replaced in accidents over 10 mph, some when airbag deploy, some replace after accident at any speed and there are those who basically don't want to replace seats even in high speed collisions.

I would not call "What if go over a speed ramp with high speed and the whole car jumps violently" an accident. Your TWE is half jokingly described as being able to survice a nuclear explosion. The seat is simply unbelievably strong.

The main issue is that insurance companies in various countries have such different policies.
    We got lucky since our insurance replaced our seat no problem, but Our car was totaled (written off completely) and the air bags didn't deploy. I think insurance companies have to (or should have to?) bend to manufacturer guidelines, not just make up their own.