Eek! DD is about to outgrow the True Fit!

Mommy0608

How is that possible?! I measured her torso recently and got 15-16". She was squirmy though, so it's entirely possible that I was off a little. I thought the TF had 18" top slots? Tonight I had to take her somewhere in DH's car, where she rides in the TF. It's been a long time since I've seen her in that seat since I rarely ride in DH's car with her. I knew she was on the top slots FF since she was over the 3rd RF and we just turned the seat around recently so I had moved the harness to the top position. Tonight, it appeared that she had maybe 1/2" growing room. It was dark and cold out, so I didn't look too closely to see how the slot actually lined up with the cover, so hopefully she has more room than I thought. A new seat is NOT in the budget, so I'll have to sell some stuff. If she really is about to outgrow it, what should I get? Will a Maestro give her much growing room over the TF? I think I've read that the Nautilus has more growing room than the Maestro, but not by much, right? She didn't like the Nautilus when we were shopping for her primary seat (ended up with the Frontier), so I don't know if that would work or not. Another FR85 is highly unlikely budget-wise. Gah. I really didn't think I'd have to deal with this for a long time yet!

ADS

NannyMom

Give it a look tomorrow in the day light. It does have 18ish inch top slots. But, how reclined is it in your car? That can come into play as well. I believe the Maestro is also 18, and the Nautilus is 18.5.

I know you wanted the Radian for DS for the weight, but can he use the TF while you save up for another seat?

Mommy0608

Tyler's weight fluctuates. He's anywhere from 30-32lbs undressed. He's going to need the 40lb limit of the Radian soon, but we do have a little time yet. I hate to do that though... I really like the low profile and low sides of the Radian so that he can climb into the seat himself in the van. He has a hard time with the TF and Symphony... he gets his feet tangled up in the low part of the sides of those seats. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the Radian FF in the Civic with seatbelt... not fun, not fun at all. I tried it with Brie a while back when I was deciding between the Radian and the True Fit for Jessica, and ended up with the True Fit for that reason. The only reason I have a Radian now is for the 40lb limit and shell height for Tyler. I didn't try it with LATCH FF, so maybe it would be okay since DD isn't 40lbs yet. Or I could put her RF in it (maybe... she might have outgrown it RF by height). Hmm.

We'll really be in a pickle when DS gains a pound or two and NEEDS that 40lb limit. Then he'll either have to be FF in DH's car, or we'll need yet another seat! :( My personal minimum is age 3. Not sure what to do about that. I suppose I could ditch the Signo, True Fit and Symphony and get a FR85 for DD and a cheap 40lb RF seat for DS. That's a lot of work though.

ETA: Doesn't the TF have taller slots than the Radian?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My understanding was the radian has taller slots than the TF..in general, but of course with different fits, you can get discrepencies.
Would a 40 rf scenera work for ds, or is he too tall?

NannyMom

The TF does have taller slots than the Radian. But because it installs so upright, I've seen it fit kids with more room than the Nautilus.

Can you sell the 3 seats, and get DD the blue Frontier to be passed down to DS? Maybe she can use it until she's 6, then DS can have it to replace whatever cheap 40 pound seat you buy. Then DD can get a new dedicated booster.

Mommy0608

Thanks for helping me think through this. :) I don't know if DS is too tall for the 40lb RF Scenera... he's never sat in one. I do know he's almost too tall to RF in the Symphony. The headrest is on the second from bottom position, which is the highest allowed for RF use.

One thing I do know for certain... DD will be harnessed well beyond the time that DS turns FF, so passing a seat down probably won't work. With her epilepsy, I'd rather keep her harnessed a while longer. I'm really hoping she'll outgrow it, but of course there's no way to predict that.

Good point about different seats fitting differently due to the recline and whatnot. Maybe she'd have more room in the Radian than I thought.

Pixels

Don't forget that you can use the Radian with shoulders over the top slots.

What year is your Civic? I've gotten the hang of installing it with seatbelt in my '02.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
you might even try moving the seats between vehicles...DD loses almost a full inch in her GN in my grammas car, i kid you not....it's a drastic difference.

NannyMom

I'm pretty sure I measured Sofi at a 15 inch torso, and she is on the top slots of the True Fit (and Radian, but 2nd from top in the GN). So, if Jessica's torso is 16 inches, it might be possible she's outgrowing the TF :eek: Just based on seeing how much room Sofi has with her 15 inch torso.

AtTheSouthDam

Does she look any better today? I hope she has more room but a 1/2" in torso can be little while yet And she can be AT the slot, just not over.

I understand the whole 'can't afford a new seat right now'. I am hoping DD2 slows down on the weight. She gained 3 lbs in the past month! That usually takes her over 6 months. I don't want to put hte YS away just yet :( and I really wanted a Kiddy in the spring :crying:

Mommy0608

I know I can use the Radian with her over the top slots, but I'm personally not okay with it. :eek:

I didn't try her in it today yet, since the TF is in DH's car and he drives it to work. I'll check this weekend in the daylight (it's dark by the time he gets home). Hopefully she'll have a little more room than I first thought. If not, then I'll try the Radian in the Civic (it's a 2003, by the way) FF and RF and see how much room she has in that. If she's too close to outgrowing both of those seats, then I suppose we'll have to sell some seats to fund a new seat. I did find a FR85 on sale for $209 with free shipping, so if I can sell 3 seats I might be able to get that and a 40lb RF Scenera (as long as DS fits in it height-wise).

Mommy0608

So say she loses height in a particular seat in the Civic. Would it be a reasonable assumption that she'd lose height in other seats in the Civic as well? Just wondering if she loses height room in the True Fit in the Civic, if she'd also lose height in the Maestro, since they have the same harness height on paper. On the other hand, maybe I should just save up for a FR85 so we won't be in this position again in a year or so.

Pixels

Your 2003 is the same as my 2002, except I think you might have adjustable head restraints, whereas I have head bumps. Recline on, pull the base forward of the bight an inch or so. Twist down the female buckle stalk as far as you can (I think you can get three twists). The direction of the twist matters, let me think ... twist clockwise for driver's side, counter-clockwise for passenger's side, I think. Buckle, and pull the shoulder belt through the velcro slit to tighten while pressing in the seat (I kneel in my own seats, being careful to stay off the EPS foam). I usually kneel, pull the shoulder belt with one hand, while reaching around and holding the buckle so it's not trying to untwist with the other hand. And oh yeah, hook up the tether FIRST, and make sure not to trap the tail or adjuster between the Radian and vehicle seat. BTDT, frustrating as heck to have to uninstall to get the tether out!

Kat_Momof3

with epilepsy, I totally agree with wanting to harness her as long as may be... I have no suggestions for a short term solution (sounds like Pixels has that covered, though), but LONG TERM... start saving for another Frontier 85!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC