RF vent?

hillary116

J 3 yrs, 8 months, and 36 inches, 30 pounds. She currently rides RF in My Rides, installed in our cars and my mom's car. Lots of room to grow still. It is now a daily complaint from my mom and DH that getting her into and out of the car is too much trouble, and "besides, her legs looked cramped". I got a whole lecture today about how J spent several minutes trying to find a place for her legs last Friday when she went out with my mom. J doesn't complain about it. Not once has she even asked to ride in the GNs installed for big sis and big bro. She seems happy with the current arrangement. So why do the adults have to complain so much?

ADS

StillThankful

I can't answer your question :) but my mom used to "lecture" me as well. We eventually turned DD1 FF at 4. However, that was because she had been asking to turn FF not because of outside pressure.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can your DD climb in by herself? That would take care of the first issue. And if she happily climbs in, gets comfy, and waits to be buckled, that would prove that #2 is a non issue as well.

Wendy

hillary116

Yup, happily climbs in on her own, and even tries to do her own straps sometimes. She cannot do them at all though. My mom said "look how hard it is for her to climb in and turn around in such a cramped space". Ack. It really doesn't look that hard to me.

I am just venting, because I am tired of hearing it. My sister and BIL declare me crazy well over a year ago (it would be more fun for her if she turned FF, plus so much easier on you! :rolleyes:) and now to get it from my mom and husband too! When she is four, I will give the option of turning, if J wants to.

Mom2three

I have gone through the same thing with DH, MIL, and everyone else. Most of them just learned to accept it eventually. But my DH still makes snide remarks. I have just learned to ignore it. He has laid off now that there is an "end in sight." I am going to turn her next month when she turns 4, but not because of other people's comments. DD is uncomfortable and it's not worth the daily fight with her.

Kat_Momof3

point this out to them... SHE'S THREE!!

what does this mean??

if she were REMOTELY unhappy, uncomfortable, whatever, BOY would you be hearing about it...

Then, tell them to ASK HER... the next time they take her (so that you won't be there to "influence" her)... "are you comfy?" "do you like your seat?"

Also, REASSURE them... that when she's _yrs old or outgrows the limit of the seat, you'll turn her around.... not like she's gonna be rearfacing forever.

And again... she's THREE... which means she's gonna be moving those legs around no matter how little/much space she has... it's either gonna be facing the back and kicking the back seat... or forward facing... and kicking THEM in the BACK!

Now, if she were complaining, at 3yrs old, I'd not blame you one bit for turning her... but she's NOT (and I understand why... the seat she has is one that is not only roomy for legs, but looks so comfy that I wish it came in MY size so I could rf, too.

hillary116

Now, if she were complaining, at 3yrs old, I'd not blame you one bit for turning her... but she's NOT (and I understand why... the seat she has is one that is not only roomy for legs, but looks so comfy that I wish it came in MY size so I could rf, too.

yes very comfy looking. My twins still ask to ride in it- I used to let them when J wasn't in the car with us. But they out grew it RF by height around 5 years old.
you are right though, J is very verble when "something is not comfortable".

Kat_Momof3

Exactly... and when they think about it, I'm sure they'll have a big "DUH" moment, too... cause it'd be like trying to convince my daughter that she needs to not change her underwear everytime she changes her clothes (from clothes to pjs, from pjs to clothes)... she protests that it... "just feels icky"... she'll offer to let you smell it... "it smells icky"... (I have smelled it... it smells just as clean as it was that morning, Ruthanne)... in the end, you pick your battles... I let her change her underwear if she's changing her pants... but if we're simply changing shirts... NO... we're not changing our pants/skirt and underwear for that....

it's the same with socks for her.

when she was 3... it was all clothes... I have yet to meet a 3yr old who doesn't make it all too clear when they are uncomfortable.

turtlemama

They complain because it is an inconvenience for them. They don't like doing the little extra it takes to put a bigger child in RF so they want to make it easier on themselves and have you turn her around. I have heard this a lot about why parents FF their kids early. "It's easier for me to give them things" It's easier for me to buckle them in. "I can see them better." I and me being the main words in those phrases. IMO a child will not tell you they are uncomfortable RF if they have never been FF, because 1. they aren't (usually) and 2. they have never known any different. I could understand if, like PP said, she was complaining, but if she isn't, then it is on them and they need to just wait it out.
There is a way of comparing or something that I read somewhere to make older people understand how it would be to RF comfort wise.
"Which feels better, sitting on the couch with your legs curled up, or sitting on a bar stool with them dangling over the edge, not touching the floor?"
Maybe they will understand better if you put it to them that way?

JMacSanDiego

I'm very lucky that nobody ever lectures me on how my son should or shouldn't ride. I think they know better than to do that. The only very minor complaints I have are that my son kicks the infant/toddler mirror which I have installed on the headrest (obviously so I can see him). He also uses his shoes to try and destroy the "Kick Mat." He gets it all scrunched up, lol. As for putting him in the car, I used to do it for him, but he got so tall that his head would hit the door frame if I put him in the carseat. Now he climbs in himself, although he still needs a little help from me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC