Question Mazda Tribute and latch

Dani_mummy

We have a 09 Mazda Tribute and a 2010 Radian XTSL.

I just want to make sure I understand the Super latch rules. Being that the vehicle was made after 2005, I can use latch up to 65lbs even though vehicle manual says 48lbs?

Also I've recently noticed that the vehicle manual seems to allow using seatbelt and Latch at the same time, I thought this wasn't allowed? I've attached 2 screenshots right from Mazda owner manual.
Just an fyi-I currently have the seat installedon passenger side RF just with latch. Usually have it in the middle with seatbelt just temporarily on outside to allow more room for luggage etc.

Pics
1 is a written explanation
2 is a chart for seat installations

ADS

canadiangie

Ford is most likely going to tell you to default to 48lbs.

Transport Canada will most likely advise that you default to 48lbs.

Sunshine Kids is going to tell you that going right up to 65lbs is fine.

I, personally would default to 48lbs and use the seatbelt to install at that point. And that's assuming you even surpass that weight with your Radian -- as many children will transition to a booster seat around that weight, which for most kids is nearing age 6.

Yes, the way the chart is written makes it look like you can use UAS/LATCH and the seatbelt to install at the same time. But, no matter what, your car seat (and no car seat for that matter, that I'm aware of) allows this. So, default back to using one or the other.

Clear as mud?

amyd

I'm sure I'm missing something entirely obvious, but what does Ford have to do with this? :eek:

Also, some car manufacturers recommend routing the seatbelt through the belt path when forward facing installed with UAS to prevent the child from getting the loose seatbelt wrapped around his/her neck. Perhaps that is what the manual is referring to, although as Angie said, restraint manufacturer's don't allow both installation methods.

canadiangie

I'm sure I'm missing something entirely obvious, but what does Ford have to do with this? :eek:

Also, some car manufacturers recommend routing the seatbelt through the belt path when forward facing installed with UAS to prevent the child from getting the loose seatbelt wrapped around his/her neck. Perhaps that is what the manual is referring to, although as Angie said, restraint manufacturer's don't allow both installation methods.

Sorry Mazda, my mind just goes to Ford right away. :eek:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, the Mazda Tribute *IS* the Ford Escape.. so either way--Ford or Mazda. If the manual explicitly says 48lbs, then 48lbs it is. There's no explicit exclusion for centre LATCH in the 09 Tribute manual is there? Ford/Mazda were allowing it with the Escape/Tribute in previous years, but someone here has a few year old Explorer and it actually explicitly said no centre LATCH.. So now I'm curious if the newer Ford models are all saying that centre LATCH is not permitted.

-N.

Dani_mummy

Yes the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are pretty much the same vehicle, just few options differences etc. For center latch it defers to car seat manual as to whether they allow the non- standard spacing.

I've attached a screenshot of it

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks! That's consistent with previous model years (per advice from Ford/Mazda, since it wasn't in the earlier manuals.)

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC