News Carseat safety coming up next on The Dr.s

mlohry

They are going to talk about carseat safety coming up next on the Drs. Looks like they are going to talk about buckling safely with winter jackets on.

ADS

mlohry

Wasn't much info, try just touched on using coats that are too thick in carseats. I guess that's good. Not sure what wad up with the video they showed, it was for a booster not a carseat.

dawnp15

The last time they talked about car seat safety they really missed the mark. IIRC they said that kids will want to be turned at 1yr so they can look around :rolleyes: Just prooved that Dr.'s are not CPST and should not be giving out info like that.

turtlemama

I watched it just to see how much they would miss. They had what appeared to be a 1 yr old baby doll in a Chase booster seat. They mentioned coat compression, but I don't think they said it could lead to an ejection hazard (I can't remember). They said the harness could be "just a little" loose. Which to me,if I were a new parent, would take that as "it's ok if it is loose." Travis started in on something about seeing kids come into the emergency room and how sometimes it would be safer without the car seat, but he stopped short of saying all of that. He said "I see kids in the ER all the time with car seat injuries and sometimes, it would be safer without..."
They could have done a lot better. I never watch the show anymore, but had to this time since they mentioned car seats.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
He said "I see kids in the ER all the time with car seat injuries and sometimes, it would be safer without..."

Holy cow. How about it would be safer if they were a) in the right stage, b) installed properly, and c) how much WORSE most of those injuries would be sans carseat?

mrswh

I watched it just to see how much they would miss. They had what appeared to be a 1 yr old baby doll in a Chase booster seat. They mentioned coat compression, but I don't think they said it could lead to an ejection hazard (I can't remember). They said the harness could be "just a little" loose. Which to me,if I were a new parent, would take that as "it's ok if it is loose." Travis started in on something about seeing kids come into the emergency room and how sometimes it would be safer without the car seat, but he stopped short of saying all of that. He said "I see kids in the ER all the time with car seat injuries and sometimes, it would be safer without..."
They could have done a lot better. I never watch the show anymore, but had to this time since they mentioned car seats.

What I think he was saying is that they'd be better off without a car seat than improperly harnessed in a car seat. :eek: I think that was really irresponsible - now if a parent is confused about how to properly harness a kid in a car seat maybe they'll decide it's better to just not use one.

Also, did anyone notice they kept referring only to "babies"? As if only babies are in car seats.

It was good that they pointed out that the puffy coat should be worn on top of, not under, the straps (although with no real explanation), but the rest of it was really not helpful. I felt like they had a chance to pass along some valuable information and they blew it.
:twocents:

turtlemama

I really think they have no business giving car seat advice if they don't know much about car seat safety. It was very disappointing to watch. Sure, parents will now know not to let their kids wear the heavy coats in the car seat, but will they know why?
I think they gave more bad info then they did good.

Baylor

I really think they have no business giving car seat advice if they don't know much about car seat safety. It was very disappointing to watch. Sure, parents will now know not to let their kids wear the heavy coats in the car seat, but will they know why?
I think they gave more bad info then they did good.

I agree. If they are going to do the segment the need to have experts on and do full explanations on why some coats are not good and why and give better options. This is something I did not know at all until I came here. I shudder at the coats my kids have ridden in..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC