Super-thin Patagonia snowsuits/coats?

U

Unregistered

Hi, just wondering what people thought about having your child wear a super-thin (but warm) snowsuit in a carseat. I've got my little one in a thin fleece outerlayer right now, with blanket piled on top, but it's been getting soooo cold, that I worry. I also can't stand the pain in the rear, when we're driving to do something outdoors, of changing her from fleece to real snowsuit in the back of the car at the destination - talk about a kid screaming her head off. I'm thinking maybe next year of buying her a Patagonia Puffball suit or pants/jacket. I had a look at them in MEC and was blown away at how thin they are (no thicker than our fleece snowsuit)....they're expensive as hell, but will be going on sale in the spring, I'm sure. Have any of you used them? What are your thoughts as carseat experts?

ADS

canadiangie

I've never met the Puff Ball in real life, but have seen it online. Use your common sense on this. If it's as thin as your current fleece, and not made of slippery material, and you can get the harness nice and snug, then yes it's fine to use. :thumbsup:

My girls wear thin layers of clothing and Ursus jackets or suits overtop.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Also keep in mind two important things:
If you're already aware of the harness tightness issue associated with heavy coats and snowsuits in carseats, you're probably also one of the rare parents who're tightening the harness sufficiently anyways. In addition, if you're talking about a rear-facing then a little bit of compression slack isn't quite as critical as for forward-facing.

The absolute best way to be sure is this: Put your child in the item of clothing, and tighten the harness. Take them out (without loosening the harness off), remove the article of clothing, and put the child back in the harness. Look at how much slack you have, and that would be approximately the amount of slack introduced when your child's clothing was compressed during a crash event. If it's too much for your comfort, then you'll want to think twice about using it.

-Nicole.

ninejr

In addition, if you're talking about a rear-facing then a little bit of compression slack isn't quite as critical as for forward-facing.

Why is this? I thought it would be the other way because if B's harness is too loose she will just slide right up between the straps, but A would still be more restrained by hitting her harness going forward. (Don't worry, both girls are secure, this is just what I thought)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The most simple way to explain it is this--working off of most collisions being forward-facing:

A rear-facing child is held in position in the carseat by the harness, but during a crash it is the carseat shell that "restrains" the child (primarily, the carseat absorbs most of the load of the event).. Obviously the straps stop riding up and restrain when the seat rotates downwards, etc, but overall the child is contained by the seat.

A forward-facing child is restrained by the straps. The child's body could slip through a loose harness very easily when forward facing. A loose harness when rear-facing will cause more riding up and more overall movement, but would have to be far more severe to actually result in an ejection. Perhaps if the rear-facing seat were seriously over-reclined, it would be a bigger problem..

-N.

U

Unregistered

They NEVER go on sale. Maybe there'll be a new style or something next year. But they're pretty much the same price all year round.

gigi

They are worth every dime! Get a dark color though bc they tend to stain.

I saw a boy yesterday in a North Face coat that liked just like a Puffball, you might find a better price on one of those (or maybe you won't but its worth a try). I don't know anything else about it, but it looked nice.

Adventuredad

A rear-facing child is held in position in the carseat by the harness, but during a crash it is the carseat shell that "restrains" the child (primarily, the carseat absorbs most of the load of the event).. Obviously the straps stop riding up and restrain when the seat rotates downwards, etc, but overall the child is contained by the seat.

Good point. Forces on a harness for a forward facing child are very large. Rear facing children are mostly protected by the seat shell so forces on harness are low.

Wearing thick winer clothing is never a good idea but it's far less of a problem in rear facing seats.

I'm not familiar with the Patagonia suit but their stuff is generally great.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC