Question 2010 Subaru Outback: Center Position?

U

Unregistered

I called Subaru Customer Service and they confirmed that they do not approve of using the center rear position in the Outback for a car seat, even in the 2010 version which no longer has a hump in the middle. Yet, I see all over the web, even here at Car-Seat.org, that there are plenty of conscientious parents who install car seats in the middle.

We are about to buy a car, and this is a make-or-break issue. If we can't use the middle for a car seat, we won't buy the car. The reason is that we want to be able to fit 2 car seats and an adult in the back, and the best way to do that is to have the two carseats next to one another.

Does anyone have direct experience with this? Can you figure out why the 2010 Outback shouldn't have a carseat in the middle? Is it an issue that the child will simply not be safe, or is it a minor issue of sub-optimal usage?

Thank you!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Really? No carseat? So that top tether that's there is for show?

What it's been in the past is that it's a notoriously difficult spot to get a seat in. Narrow and with a hump. So they haven't recommended it simply because for Joe Public it won't be a good install. But if you can, great.

I'd call back and get a second or third answer, since they tend to vary by who answers, and most customer service reps at car places have no idea about carseats. Then I'd ask to talk to an engineer about why.

Wendy

BananaBoat

I'm going to agree with Wendy on this one. As a long-time Subaru owner, they have ALWAYS said no center install on both the Outback & Forester (not sure about other models). Yet, aside from the hump, there's no other reason given. Plus, why would you bother putting tethers in all 3 positions, if they strictly forbid use of the center position :confused: Doesn't make any sense.

I'd ask to speak to an engineer specifically AND preferably one who has some knowledge of car seat installation. If it's true that they forbid center install of car seats, they need to get rid of that tether ASAP! And they need to decide if they want to be in the family-vehicle market at all. As far as I'm concerned forcing parents to install outboard only with the minimal front-to-back room their cars provide is generally unrealistic for a family of more than 1 child :twocents:

Don't get me wrong, I love our Subies...we're just outgrowing them!

mytwobugs

When we visited my parents earlier this year we rode in their 2010 Outback. I agree that the no car seat in the middle is probably just a left over. Compared to previous Subaru's it actually has 3 functional seating positions. (and a decent size seat - my big booty, ds1 in RSTV, and ds2 in Maestro with plenty of room to spare) I didn't actually have a carseat in the middle (DS1 rode there in his RSTV) but I really can't see a reason installing a carseat there would be a problem.
I remember reading the manual and I think it said something about not recommending installing a carseat there but don't think it was forbidden. I do remember some conflicting info about attaching the clip to the tether anchor. One picture had it attaching clip down and another picture had it clip up. I could only get them to fit one way (sorry don't remember which) so I went with it since it was a temporary thing.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thank you!! This was incredibly helpful! I went out to look at 2010 Outbacks today. There is no latch setup for the center, but there are anchors for each of the three seats, and a seatbelt install in the center worked just fine. The center seat in this model is totally flat.

Now if you could only help me figure out how to afford one...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC