Installing tether anchor on 97 Honda CR-V-Help please!

Paperdragon

I'm using part number 82410SE3C01 and I'm trying to screw it into holes that were covered by plastic caps in the roof of my Honda (back by the rear window) for both of the outboard seats. But the holes are too small. Is there some other part I need? There were also holes covered by caps almost directly above the back seat, but those couldn't be right, could they? They are the same size as the holes near the back window. Thanks!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If I remember correctly, the ceiling anchors in the CR-V are almost directly above the backseats, not at the back by the windows. Hope that helps.

Paperdragon

There are actually six holes in the ceiling. Two by the rear window, two just above the back rest of the back seat and two just behind the front seat. They all have equally small holes. They are all along the sides of the ceiling (outboard). I'm not sure if they gave me the wrong part or what. :( If the bolts were to fit in any of these holes, I would not be sure which would be safest. As it is, they don't fit. Is there anyone one with a LATCH book who could tell me if I have the right part number? Thanks so much. I love this web site!

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
There are actually six holes in the ceiling. Two by the rear window, two just above the back rest of the back seat and two just behind the front seat. They all have equally small holes. They are all along the sides of the ceiling (outboard). I'm not sure if they gave me the wrong part or what. :( If the bolts were to fit in any of these holes, I would not be sure which would be safest. As it is, they don't fit. Is there anyone one with a LATCH book who could tell me if I have the right part number? Thanks so much. I love this web site!

I'm not familiar with CR-V's at all, but what I'm reading sounds like maybe you're trying the wrong holes? If they are "along the sides of the ceiling", that doesn't sound right. They should be close to centered above (in this case) the seating position. Also, to reiterate, the LATCH manual states that the weld nuts are "in the ceiling near rear window". Could there be anything else there?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, wrong holes altogether. They are by the back window in the ceiling, but you have to peel back the cloth headliner to get to the anchors...there's one for outboard seats, but nothing for the center. My dh says it's easy, but also that instructions came with it (I remember making the dealership print them up for us, actually, you might have to go back and get them) (I would have killed to have seen him do this, but he's so 'helpful' he didn't tell me when he did it).

Paperdragon

OK, I haven't peeled back the fabric (yet). That's my next step. I called Honda customer service, who told me to try that as well. he also told me that for Honda (and he thought other companies as well) the top tether had been tested up to average adult weight (170lbs). However, they only rate the tether to whatever the maximum weight restrictions are for car seats for that year. Could this be right? Thanks again, everyone for all of the help!:D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
OK, I haven't peeled back the fabric (yet). That's my next step. I called Honda customer service, who told me to try that as well. he also told me that for Honda (and he thought other companies as well) the top tether had been tested up to average adult weight (170lbs). However, they only rate the tether to whatever the maximum weight restrictions are for car seats for that year. Could this be right? Thanks again, everyone for all of the help!:D

They never know what they are talking about when it comes to tether weights... Honda typically says 40 (A *very* low estimation of how sturdy those anchors really are), but the current 'best practice' recommendation is to use them as long as you need them (they will still help the seat perform well even if it's a Regent tethered up to 80 pounds, so just keep on using it as long as you have a harnessed seat).

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC