Silly booster question

TXDani

Senior Community Member
When this baby arrives I am going to have to move my 6 year old son to the third row of my Yukon XL. He is in a booster (Compass B5-something or other) and loves it because it is camouflage. But in the third row 65% of the time when he buckles he accidentally locks the seatbelt and then has to take the seatbelt out of the should guide, let all the slack out and then rebuckle. He gets very frustrated with this and it gets time consuming.

Do you think there is another booster that won't need as much seatbelt slack to buckle? I am thinking an old Parkway would work best but that's a moot point. I know I can work with him on this although I know the belts are kind of short back there so that doesn't help so I am thinking besides working with him on pulling out less belt a new booster might help.

Any ideas are appreciated!

ADS

lovinwaves

Peyton just got the Vivo and it's been by far the easiest booster for her to buckle. She buckles it OVER the arm rest easily, then slides the lapbelt down in the slot, pulls the slack out, then puts the shoulder belt down in the slot. It seemed like with her other boosters she was (and so was I) having to pull a bunch of seatbelt out to get the dang thing buckled. We are new to boostering, so I'm not sure why that was LOL

I will watch her buckle in tomorrow and really see how much slack she is pulling out. I can do a video for you too if you want :)

Last edited:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Thanks Mel!

Maybe this weekend I'll go try one out in my car and see how he does with it.

Kegracin

I'm going to keep an eye on this post because I also have a yukon and my seat belt does that too. I always just figured the seat belts back there just stupid, DS is 7.5 and mostly rides in a monarch back there but we also have a old style parkway. He has less problems with the Parkway when its back there but he doesn't like the parkway because its not soft (it has a cotton cover not a fuzzy one). He knows how to fix it him self tho and normally only has problems when hes mad at me so I never really gave it much thought.

AtTheSouthDam

I have DD1 put her arm over the shoulder belt as she buckles then put it under when she is done. Otherwise she does the same thing. Slings the belt over her shoudler then leans all the way over to buckle it, locking it in the process. To unlock it is a complicated procedure of remving the seat, twisting and turning. This only happens in the third row of the van. The female end in the middle row angles the wrong way so she can't yet do that buckle herself.

lovinwaves

I will watch her buckle in tomorrow and really see how much slack she is pulling out. I can do a video for you too if you want :)

Oops, I guess she uses more seatbelt than I thought. She is still pretty new to boostering though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQeiu7EZZY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - Peyton buckling Recaro Vivo Booster[/ame]

~Melissa~
Sent from my iPhone

Kat_Momof3

I know in our chevy cobalt, the key is to have belt guides that are parallel to where the seatbelt is coming from... which is why the FPSV booster was so loved, and same reason why the Evenflo Big Kid works so well in it... the flat belt guides run right flat against where the seatbelt comes out, so when it retracts, it unlocks as long as all the slack is fed back... so no rethreading.

ETA - Ruthie just caught me reading Andre's reply and insisted on watching the video... she has informed me... "that's my friend who has the same booster as me! Look, she likes to be safe, just like ME!"

Last edited:

andre149

I don't have any suggestions, but I watched the video lovin posted... I love her grin at the end, too cute!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC