Car seat idea & a little brag

As most know, my family is going on it's first long vacation & we leave tomorrow. :eek:

Today I had DH help me take out all 3 seats before he left for work so I could get them all cleaned up. Here's where my idea comes into play.

It would be great to see a seat be designed that would be handicap parent/grandparent/guardian friendly. I know it wouldn't be easy but I think it could be done. Something where the harness is more internal. I know there are the Triumphs w/ knobs & other seats where the harness moves w/ the headrest, but for those of us that are one handed or that have significant weakness of strength, those aren't any easier than a pull till your blue in the face adjuster strap (at least I know for me they are no easier). BUT, the bigger for me would be more seat covers that just wrap around or maybe even snap onto the seat. Pokin elastics through little holes & having them pop out on you when you go to reach for it on the other side makes for time consuming redressing of the seat. Sure, some of the features I'm asking for are available, but not all on one seat (or if there is I'm clueless).

I say the previous because I just spent an hour redressing a GN & two Sceneras. The GN wasn't all that bad, but man those 567454547 holes & elastics on the Sceneras made me curse & tantrum. LOL...

But I'm very proud that I got all 3 seats redressed & rock solidly reinstalled all by my one handed self in an hour! Go me!

ADS

Baylor

Man. You are good. I don't have much trouble at all with the Gn seat covers but I know there have been other seats that were never the same again.

Sounds like you should make something up and sell it!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
At least the Scenera no longer has all those stupid plastic "guides" to pop in & out. The elastics are horrible too! Why can't they make them easier?

My Radian and EFTA are sure easy to change covers on (especially love the EFTA since there's no harness to deal with.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd love to see more seats utilize the tightener the SafeGuard Child Seat has (had :( )-- pull down the strap covers a bit, lift a lever gently and most of the slack ratchets out, then you just have to give 1-2 turns of the knob to adjust. And height adjusts with one hand by pulling a handle on top of the seat. Man I love using that seat.

There is that new Summer Infant seat coming out, that's supposed to practically install itself and buckle the harness for you, lol.

emtb79

The new Britax covers for everything but the RA55 are super easy to pop on and off. I had it off and a new one back on in under 10 minutes.

cookie123

As most know, my family is going on it's first long vacation & we leave tomorrow. :eek:

Today I had DH help me take out all 3 seats before he left for work so I could get them all cleaned up. Here's where my idea comes into play.

It would be great to see a seat be designed that would be handicap parent/grandparent/guardian friendly. I know it wouldn't be easy but I think it could be done. Something where the harness is more internal. I know there are the Triumphs w/ knobs & other seats where the harness moves w/ the headrest, but for those of us that are one handed or that have significant weakness of strength, those aren't any easier than a pull till your blue in the face adjuster strap (at least I know for me they are no easier). BUT, the bigger for me would be more seat covers that just wrap around or maybe even snap onto the seat. Pokin elastics through little holes & having them pop out on you when you go to reach for it on the other side makes for time consuming redressing of the seat. Sure, some of the features I'm asking for are available, but not all on one seat (or if there is I'm clueless).

I say the previous because I just spent an hour redressing a GN & two Sceneras. The GN wasn't all that bad, but man those 567454547 holes & elastics on the Sceneras made me curse & tantrum. LOL...

But I'm very proud that I got all 3 seats redressed & rock solidly reinstalled all by my one handed self in an hour! Go me!

Wow! I AM impressed. That's amazing. That Snugride 35 I was messing with at work was nicely elasticized and the cover came off and on easily. I didn't have it completely off though. Anyway, have a great trip!

ILoveMy3Boys

Oh my! Before Judi taught me the trick of the Scenera I could fight one of those for an hour just installing it alone!!! Go you!

Yeah, when recommend the Scenera to people on a budget I always tell them, "I will not lie, it's a PITA to get installed RF. But once you are used to seat & how it installs it's really rather easy". I tell them I hated it the first few months I had it for DS but once I comfortable & fully familar w/ it & it's temperment I loved it. I really do love it as a budget seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Huh, I've found the Scenera to be comparatively easy in most cars.

But then, I'm comparing to Radians. LOL.

Kat_Momof3

the safety 1st Uptown/Avenue and Safety 1st Onside air have covers that pop on/off like showercaps... maybe use it as an excuse to upgrade the girls to Onside Airs (40lb rf limit)... I think 59.99 at TRU/BRU right now... with a twin discount, should be able to get a good deal.

I agree... the Nautilus isn't as bad at all... but I can still imagine that with one hand, it'd be a pain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC