What seat would you get?

amy&girls

For a 60lb 9yr old. His mom is insisting that since he's 9, he doesn't need a seat anymore. He's 9, but that's the only criteria he meets for ditching the booster. He isn't of weight or height (I think he's almost there though, 54 or 55 inches, something like that). I don't know for sure. It just bugs me that she lets him ride around in her car with the shoulder belt behind his back b/c it doesn't fit right. :thumbsdown: I'm on a tighter budget this year, and I'd like to get him a booster as a gift. (He rides in one in my car and says he likes it. seems to prefer it actually) I think at his height/age a NBB would be best b/c his younger sister is harnessed in a Nautilus so she won't be needing the seat as a hand me down. :) I was looking at the Evenflo Big Kid Amp, the Harmony Literider, the backless Turbobooster and someone else suggested the Cosco Ambassador. I like the look of the literider, but I think he might be uncomfortable in it, as it doesn't really have any arm rests. What are the pros/cons of each seat?

ADS

hrice

Pick up a Harmony Literider at Wal Mart for 14 bucks. I use this for my 9 yr old:thumbsup:

hrice

Oh, and the "arm rests" on boosters aren't really for resting arms on. They are to help position the belt.

skaterbabs

The arm rests aren't really arm rests - they're belt guides, that's why they're so low. Can you have him try out several models?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd go with the Literider. We have 2 now for my 8 1/2yo. He loves them. He says they are much more comfortable (padded) than his TB or BK.

Agreed, the arms are only to hold the belt in position, not for resting arms on.

luckyclov

I'd go with the Literider as well. I just bought one for my DS to use in friends' cars and I really like it. He does, too, but I'm not ready to LBB him yet fulltime.

And, another one agreeing that "armrests" on boosters are for belt positioning and not resting arms.

cookie123

Obviously the literider is well liked. I'm wondering if anyone finds it too narrow for their kiddo. It looks really small. Brett seems pretty squished in the FPSV booster with it in it's smallest setting. Is that even a valid comparison?

I was thinking I might pick one up for whatever situation might arise.

Kat_Momof3

The literider, especially with the design of the "armrests" is significantly wider than the FPSV booster at it's narrowest. Heck, my son still uses his and he's too wide to fit comfortably in the FPSV at it's WIDEST setting.

if he wants something with more of "armrests", there's also the Harmony Cruz... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Cruz-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Black-and-Red/14914783

otherwise, the Cosco High Rise/Auto Booster/Ambassador is a great little booster, too.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000076984811P?prdNo=12

both of these also have cupholders... which may influence his like of them... I know the cosco's actually works really well... because it was the backless booster Damian used till he passed the 5-step test when he was too wide for other boosters.

Not sure about the Cruz cupholder, but it looks pretty good.

The only issue I've had with the literider is an incompatibility with my minivan... it's beltpath is so low and the armrests are so low that in the captain's chair, you get buckle crunch that also causes the seatbelt to not be able to tighten all the way on the child... and in the third row, it is tippy even before you try to buckle it, buckle crunch is even worse because the buckle is longer and flexible... but can't go all the way through the beltpath onto the child's leg...

However, for my dh's car (it's what my younger son is using in my signature pic, though you can't see it), it works great... the buckles are very short there, and the seats are so contoured, it's a great fit.

mlohry

I will go out on a limb and say the Amp. My son had a hard time threading the seatbelt thru the narrow belt path on the harmony. I picked the amp up at Target for 19$ and Evenflo has a 5$ printable coupon on their site, making the seats about the same price. We love our Amp!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC