Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Do I have rear side airbags or rear head curtain airbags in my 2003 Nissan Altima SE?

Specs say these features are optional. Several sources online state that the rear side airbag seams are very hard to find/see. I'm not even sure what I should be looking for regarding the rear head curtain airbags (not even sure what they are!). Where are these features located in the car (if in fact I do have these features), and most importantly, is it safe to have my 2 kids riding outboard? Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Do I have rear side airbags or rear head curtain airbags in my 2003 Nissan Altima SE?

Check your airbag warnings in your manual, just to be sure, but a 2003 airbag in the rear seat should not interfere with your kids being outboard, at all.

Look for airbag labels up around the top of the window, possibly a little back.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

4. Thank You from:

Re: Do I have rear side airbags or rear head curtain airbags in my 2003 Nissan Altima SE?

In that model of vehicle the side and curtain airbags were optional.

Side airbags deploy from the outboard sides of the seat - these deploy to protect your torso in a crash. Typcially these are found in the front seating positions only, however there are a few car companies that have them in the rear outboard seating positions as well.

Side curtain airbags deploy from the roofline to protect your head in a crash - these cover the 1st, 2nd, and often the 3rd row (if in a van etc).

In the 2003 Altima side and curtain airbags are optional. You can typically determine if a vehicle has side (torso) airbags by looking on the outboard side of the seat - there is usually a little tag that is labeled "airbag" or "side airbag". Curtain (head) airbags can be a little tricker - if it is equipped with them you might find a stamp that says "curtain airbag" on the inside of the vehicle by the roofline. You could also contact a Nissan dealer, they should be able to determine if your vehicle has the optional airbags by your VIN.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

6. Thank You from:

The other label to look for is "SRS" which stands for Supplemental Restraint System. AKA airbag.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

8. Thank You from: