Do you watch your garage door close?

B

broxbourneDELETE

My neighbor where I used to live was a personal defense attorney and her long time boyfriend is one too (he is a pretty well-known one around here). She was the only person I have ever seen watch her automatic garage door close all the way whenever she pulled out of her driveway, 100% of the time. Sometimes I knew she was in a hurry and sometimes it was very early in the morning. Now we do this too. (Worst case reasons: A child or pet gets stuck and the auto-reverse fails. Someone sneaks into your garage as you're driving off. A snake crawls in??) Just curious if anyone else does, or if most everyone else does and I was just slow to learn?

--Charlene

ADS

southpawboston

when we used to have an automatic garage door i *had* to look back to make sure it was closed. not because of kids or animals (we had none then and we had a fenced-in yard so never had stray animals) but simply because of basic OCD tendencies. :) like double-checking that the stove is off.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I usually wait until it finishes closing before pulling out of our driveway for safety reasons and because our door is a bit flakey in the winter time. The bottom roller sometimes pops partially out of the door track on one side when the ground freezes and thaws, causing a slab in our driveway to heave at the garage doorway. If the door/roller meets with any resistance while closing, the auto-reverse sensors will open the door up again, and sometimes this happens at the last moment when it's an inch or so away from closing completely.

jn__

I always do, because if for some reason it doesn't close, the wind will blow the house door open. I know I should lock this but I don't. I doubt anyone would go in, but I don't want the dog to get out, get lost, etc.

Mom2nj

Now that I think about it, I do watch ours go down every time, I won't back up until it does. I dont' back up for 2 reason, 1) to make sure it closes and 2) so I don't hit the house :D Our garage is detached and I have to drive along the entire length of our house... I thought I was clear the other day and hit the gabage bin.... My kids are in the car with my 99% of the time so I am not watching for them, just making sure it closes I guess...

B

broxbourneDELETE

Sorry I have a bit of OCD myself and jsut had to see responses right away. My neighbor did not really just check, per se, she *watched* the door descend. I know she's must defended quite a few characters in her job and suspect that the door thing was maybe a natural extension of that. (We were pretty friendly as neighbors, but I never questioned her reasons for this.) Or maybe it is just pure safety reasons: I know she insisted that our common builder make special safety modifications on the exterior of her house only because her boyfriend said she was too open to injury lawsuits as a homeowner otherwise. Now my husband and me totally watch our garage door descend as well, even if we're just going for walk. The baby must be wonder what is so darn interesting about this door??? :)

lovinwaves

We watch our door shut COMPLETELY before leaving.

You never know, a leaf could suddenly blow in and trip the sensor to open the door back up.

We also have garage door sensors on ours, so if the doors left open or are opened we will know immediately. The housing sensors sit in our living room and kitchen.

MySillyKids

I always watch. So does DH.

We had an incident the other day where a garage door had mysteriosly opened.

It turned out our 3 year old grabbed the remote off of the counter, and was of course pushing the buttons. Eek.

R&J'sMom

I always watch and make sure it closes. I don't want to come home with my 2 boys and find some weirdo hiding in my garage.

mamato2

Am I the only one with a garage too full of 'stuff' to park in?? We do open the door of course to get the lawnmower and bikes out and I ALWAYS watch it go all the way up AND down. You never know. One time one of the bikes rolled a bit and the door (which is supposed to reverse but I don't trust it to) could have hit it. I also want to make sure no child suddenly gets the urge to run toward/under the door!
Besides being full the garage is weird in that the light switch has to be ON for the door to function, meaning if we DID use the garage to park in we'd have to leave the light on the whole time we were gone so that we could use the opener upon returning. :confused:
C.

TheRealMacGyver

I wouldn't say I stop and stare at it until it closes, but I always double check before I pull away. Mainly because sometimes something gets in the way and will trip it just at the end. I heard about a paranoid single woman that would watch the door close after she pulled into the garage, while remaining in her car, doors locked, watching in her mirrors for anybody sneeking in! I think that may be a bit extreme, but I guess it depends on where you live and how many enemies you have.

Lara

I always make sure it closes, but I don't necessarily watch it go down.

about 6 months ago my door went wacko and would close all the way and then open up. over and over and over. Finally figured out something was wrong with the motor and got it fixed! Anyways, that's what prompted me making sure it had closed because a few times I came home to an opened garage which was freaky!

beebear23

Senior Community Member
My dh does. But then, he's a little OCD when it comes to these things. Double and triple checks that doors are locked, lights off, heater/ac off, doors closed, etc..

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
:whistle: I've never lived in a house that didnt have a manual garage door!!!

I've never ever used a garage door opener so I"m the first to open and the last to close it :p

My parents joke was that the only reason they had kids was because they were tired of climbing out of the car to close the garage door!

jn__

Okay I do watch it go down, but usually because I've got nothing better to look at. :) I usually get myself situated while in the garage, then start the car and go. I guess I could back the car out, close the door, and THEN do all that stuff, but it's just not my habit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC