Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

nb in convertible

Hey folks- I don't get over here very often anymore- but question for those "most geeky car seat geeks"... (said with much love and affection - for I am one).

We have another blessing joining us in May sometimes (#3) and our Peg is expired. So I have begun researching infant seats and frankly I'm not loving much of anything on the market. There is one that I like- but the $529 price point is out of my range. I have a TrueFit, Radian XL, and Marathon currently and am seriously considering using one of these for our nb babe.

I am aware that many convertibles aren't a great fit for little ones. What are your thoughts and experiences? From what I can measure the radian has the lowest shoulder harness height- and would likely make it the best choice?

I could put ds #1 (4yrs, 35lbs) in the TrueFit, keep ds#2 (14mo, 24lbs) in Marathon and nb in Radian. However- what about the rf issues in my Sienna? (XL was purchased for ds#1 because of high rf limit and sadly it's not possible in 2nd row of Sienna) Would you put baby in 3rd row?

BTW I'm in Canada. ANy other ideas or configs? I'm not opposed to buying something else.

Thanks a mil in advance.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: nb in convertible

The TrueFit and Radian fit most average-size, full-term newborns (and sometimes some smaller ones, but it's not a sure thing).
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Do you have the Graco My Ride available in Canada? It is my fav convertible for squishy tiny newborns. The infant insert is to die for!

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Threads merged (cross posting not permitted) and left in the Canadian forum where you'll get appropriate responses.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Thanks Wendy- my bad.

Carseat Crazy

Hi Danielle
    I just got a Myride and I think it would fit a newborn really well!

Danielle

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The Evenflo Triumph Advance (and Triumph 65, if you have that), Evenflo Momentum, Evenflo Titan, Cosco Scenera, Radians (especially with infant inserts), Graco MyRide, and True Fits (all versions) will all fit most full-term, average-sized newbies well. The Radian doesn't tend to overrecline for smaller kids in the Sienna from what I recall (and you need 45 degrees for a noob anyway), it's older heavier kids that have that problem, so it might be a possibility in the second row...
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!