Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Question infant seat for 2009 Dodge Journey

HI.

My husband and I have been researching infant seats and I have to say that all the information is so overwhelming.

We've been offered a Graco Snugride 35 from my brother-in-law (it'll be over a year old when we would get it). I've see good reviews, but they all seem to be more about weight and carrying. We don't really care about those things.

Does any one have any thoughts on car seats that would best fit our Journey? I believe we have a latch system, but to be honest, I'm not really sure what that even means. It just came with the "family and safety" package. I'll be looking that up in the mean time. Just hoping to get some opinions about the safest options for our little bundle.

thanks!
    Cristina

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: infant seat for 2009 Dodge Journey

The Snugride 35 should fit just fine, especially in the middle. You do have LATCH. All cars after September 1, 2002 do. You can use that to install the carseat, or you can use the seatbelt. Either is fine.

It sounds like you're not going to carry the seat around at all? Or do you just not care how much it weighs?

If you're not going to carry it around at all, would you prefer starting with a convertible carseat?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

thanks.

I guess I'd looked at the convertibles but hadn't really considered it; I didn't realize that the newer ones could hold small infants as well. We don't plan on taking it out of the car, so it might be a good idea for us to get something we can get more mileage out of.

For a newborn I'd look at a Graco My Ride, Learning Curve True Fit, Sunshine Kids Radian, Evenflo Triumph 65, and Combi Cocooro. Of those, the Coccoro will be outgrown first rear facing (about 2-3 years), then the My Ride (3-4 years) and Triumph 65 (around 4 years), then the True Fit and Radian (my daughter fit by height at 7 years).

Forward facing they'll do about the same. The Coccoro (about 3-4 years), the My Ride (about 5 years), the Triumph 65, True Fit, and Radians (6-7 years).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

I looked at a 2010 Journey the other day and it only has LATCH outboard.
    Emi 19 months! RFing in mama's Onyx Marathon, daddy's Streamer My Ride and Sarah's Asterisks Scenera

We had the Journey for a short time as a rental, and it is tiny. The True Fit works very well rear-facing outboard, but I couldn't get it to install in the center as the seat is too narrow.

I started my son out in the True Fit as a newborn, and was very happy with it. The My Ride is also a fabulous choice for a newborn, but it might be a tight fight in the Journey. I wouldn't even try a Radian
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

The 2009 has a 60/40 split in the back, with the 60% side having three anchors. You can do outboard OR middle, but not both.

I don't have info on the 2010 model.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Unregistered

thanks everyone! I'm really liking the convertible seats. I'll have to see how well they fit or if we can even get it to fit in the middle, which I'll feel safest about.
    and glad to hear that you can really, safely put a newborn in it.

again, thanks for all the info. this has been the thing that has been stressing me out the most. My husband will also appreciate all your help since I might stop driving him crazy about it now.