Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosco Scenera

Carseat Crazy

Cosco Scenera

I just bought two at Wal mart and I am pretty impressed so far (but have not installed them yet!). They are comfier than I thought and the buckle works well and adjusting the shoulder harnesses is a breeze too.

And YOU CAN use the foot UP OR DOWN when FF. That was a question I had yesterday. The upright with the foot down FF is not very reclined. So not sure how I will install yet.

HTH

Tracy
    Momma to
    Zach & Josh 2
    Felicia 7

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Re: Cosco Scenera

Can you post what it says regarding the foot when RF?
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    Can you post what it says regarding the foot when RF?

And FF? This is just the first I'm really hearing that that foot is optional FF...(yesterday someone said it of the Uptown, too...)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

I just walked outside to get the owner's manual off my Uptown and realized dh took my car with the Uptown in it. I really want to know what it says. I don't think I would use it ffing with the foot up anyway but I just wanted to see how it was worded.
    Cindy
    Mom to DS 3/10/04 Vivo and DD 3/27/10 in a Marathon

OK, the safetybeltsafe summary says...

"When forward-facing, use recline position only if needed to make child restraint flush against vehicle seatback"

And the manual says (In the FF install section)..."The recline position is to
    be used only to install the
    child restraint flush against
    the back of the vehicle seat back, if needed"

So I don't think they are giving you a free pass to install it reclined just because you want to, but it's ok if that's the only way you can get it safely installed. It's still going to put a LOT more force on the pelvis in a crash if they are reclined when FF, so I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary, and then, only after the kiddo's too big for rearfacing (35 pounds or the head even with the top of the seatback, at least age 3 for most kids, to keep them MUCH safer than any forward facing seat).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

CPS Technician

i said yesterday about the uptown but didn't have time to check the manual, and with the seats being both coscos... they both say that you CAN use the seat with the "foot/boot" in the rfing mode (folded up under the seat) ONLY ONLY if the seat installs more flat against the back of the seat of the car... but it's better IMO to use the upright mode as ffing seat are safest while in the most upright possition.
    I'll try to remember to check it tonight and quote it...
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

CPS Technician

julie we cross posted! thanks, i though i had the info right, thanks for looking it up though... !

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Thanks so much for that info, guys!
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Carseat Crazy

Ok. I am not going to use the foot up anyways.

Another question though with using the locking clip. It shows a pic of the locking clip on the end where the seat belt buckles. I thought it went on the opposite end to lock it there. The seat belt clip is up against the plastic part of the seat when tightened and I dont think that is safe so I cannot get the locking clip btw the seat belt buckle and the seat as shown in the pic. Does thhat make sense? And does that mean I cannot use it in this vehicle as it does not have ratcheting seat belts.

TIA

IF you need a locking clip it MUST be used next to the buckle. But since 1997 all cars must have locking seatbelts and therefore you wouldn't need to use a locking clip. It's OK for the male end of the buckle to touch your carseat, the problem only comes when part of the buckle is IN the belt path. If you post your car make and year, we can help you figure out how/if your seatbelts lock.

Carseat Crazy

Dh's car is an early 80s mercedes diesel. What about the tether?
    TIA
    Last edited by 1girltwinboyz; 04-18-2007 at 03:49 PM.

CPS Technician

do you mean he's going to take out the factory installed lap and sholder belts and replace them with lap only belts... if so that's NOT a good idea at all... something like that would need to be cleared with the car maker, and i would think your insurance company would highly frown on it...

Quote Originally Posted by 1girltwinboyz View Post
    Dh's car is an early 80s mercedes diesel. He is most likely going to put lap only belts in place of the shoulder/lap belts. But there is no tether either. Is that a big deal?

TIA
    You MUST use a locking clip properly, right next to the buckle, as demonstrated in the www.carseatsite.com videos...or...put the Marathons in that car and use the built in lockoffs . I wouldn't replace lap shoulderbelts with anything but lap shoulderbelts, because you can't use lapbelts for boosters.

Julie

Carseat Crazy

why would the ins make a diff with lap belts on all seats in back? the seats are installed MUCH safer with lap belts only. There is a lap belt in the middle section but i cannot fit two carseats with one in the middle of back seat.

There is still the ? of the tether though?

Can a seat belt booster be used with non ratcheting seat belts?

CPS Technician

why would the ins make a diff with lap belts on all seats in back? the seats are installed MUCH safer with lap belts only. There is a lap belt in the middle section but i cannot fit two carseats with one in the middle of back seat.

There is still the ? of the tether though?

Can a seat belt booster be used with non ratcheting seat belts?
    You don't have tether anchors - w/a model that old I don't know if you can even install them (my LATCH manual is outside). You can certainly use a car seat with non-ratcheting seatbelts. That is what the locking clip is for - to lock the seatbelt. You must use it at the latchplate, so you may need to twist the buckle stalk (up to 3 times) to pull the clip and latchplate out of the belt path. The problem with the lap belts is they didn't come with the car - adding seatbelts is risky. A car that was made w/lap only belts is fine to put a car seat in. You should be able to use the locking clip and the shoulder/lap belts just fine. I would strongly suggest finding a tech, since the seat and car and locking clips are new to you.
    Karen in TN
    Mom of 3 girls, CPST, RN BSN

Carseat Crazy

really twist the seat belt? after I buckle it or before?

Carseat Crazy

Ok. I went onto the site above to see how to do locking clip and I think I got it! Its nice and tight. the only thing is the locking clip is in the belt path. The belt clip and buckle are not. is this ok?

Ok. I went onto the site above to see how to do locking clip and I think I got it! Its nice and tight. the only thing is the locking clip is in the belt path. The belt clip and buckle are not. is this ok?
    Yeah, I think that's fine...all that's important is that the locking clip is within an inch of the buckle and is firmly on the belt .

<High 5> for getting it to work!

(You might still consider putting the Marathons in that car... the shoulderbelt lockoffs help stabilize the seat much like a top tether would, since you can't add top tether anchors, that would be a good thing...I think also the Safeseat 2 has a built in Lockoff, and the safeguard child seat (freaky expensive, but nice...)
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    And FF? This is just the first I'm really hearing that that foot is optional FF...(yesterday someone said it of the Uptown, too...)
    It is optional forward facing. On page 33 of the manual it says "In the Forward facing position, the child restraint can be used in either reclined or upright position".

But there really really isn't that much of a recline when it is installed that way. I'm just saying.
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.