Harness expirations

BlessedMama10

I know certain parts are safe to use from expired seats, but what about the harness? I have heard mixed reviews on this, one reason being that the seatbelts in cars never expire so why would an expired seats harness not be safe. Is it just a different grade of webbing or something? Are there any actual facts on this? I am needing a RA harness and all I have found are ones that have been in the washing machine or are expired. I know the rules about the washed ones but what about expired ones?

ADS

mykidsmylife

The harness does expire. The fibers can break down over time causing the harness to not work properly. Heat, cold, wet, etc can all affect the make up of the harness as well as the shell.

It is recommended that vehicle seat belts get replaced every 10 years and after an accident. They can also break down.

I would not buy an expired or washed harness. I would not buy one from someone you didn't trust either...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've always been told, by mechanics, engineers, people I trust, and it was also mentioned in my tech class, that seatbelts DO degrade over time. The fibers suffer wear and tear and also over time simply go through heat, cold, dry out, get wet, lose integrity. The recommendation I've been given is to inspect carefully after 10 years, inspect every year after that, consider replacing after 15 years, and replace after 20. And they are made of much heavier-duty webbing than car seat harnesses. (They should also, of course, be replaced after being in use to restrain an occupant or CR during a crash, or if cut, frayed, ripped, or otherwise damaged-- even a 1 mm cut in a belt can cause catastrophic failure during a crash.)

aeormsby

I know Britax harnesses have a tag with the date on them. I would definitely follow the same expiration as the seat with regards to the harness.

Baylor

Does anyone know the cost of replacing seatbelts in a car? I realize it may be different for different cars.. but just an estimate?

I would never use a used harness that I was not sure if it was not washed or damaged. They are easily replaced. I got a new set for my GN for about 10.00.. I think. I don't remember. I am actually going to order a new set just to have.. In case of spills, vomiting... so I can just replace them.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
As stated above, Britax harnesses are $22 shipped. The seat in question has only one year of life left. OP, have you considered selling the cover to help fund a new seat? That may be the most practical solution here.

abacus2

Does anyone know the cost of replacing seatbelts in a car? I realize it may be different for different cars.. but just an estimate?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering if the risk of errors in installation are greater than the risk of failure in an accident for older seatbelts.

Baylor

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering if the risk of errors in installation are greater than the risk of failure in an accident for older seatbelts.

I was curious about that too! Thanks for bringing that up.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
An experienced mechanic or a dealership should have no problem replacing a seatbelt. What it costs depends on the vehicle. At least one brand has/had a lifetime warranty on seatbelts. Some run in the several hundreds just for the parts; some you can get replaced for under $200/belt for original equipment replacement belts with labor included. All down to brand. If you're ever in a crash, make sure that the belts in use (to restrain an occupant OR a CR) are replaced as part of the repair cost, insurance will pay for that but sometimes you have to ask to make sure it's been done, not all mechanics will do it automatically.

BlessedMama10

As stated above, Britax harnesses are $22 shipped. The seat in question has only one year of life left. OP, have you considered selling the cover to help fund a new seat? That may be the most practical solution here.

I called Britax and they are $22 plus $11 shipping so I am looking at $33 for a new set of harnesses. I only have one seat cover so I would have to buy a new one if I sold this one. My deal is that like you said, is it work it to try and salvage this seat with only a year of life left on it. I already bought EPS foam from someone so I have money invested in it already and it's still needing parts. I'm thinking I should have just saved my money and gotten a new seat.:(

Baylor

I called Britax and they are $22 plus $11 shipping so I am looking at $33 for a new set of harnesses. I only have one seat cover so I would have to buy a new one if I sold this one. My deal is that like you said, is it work it to try and salvage this seat with only a year of life left on it. I already bought EPS foam from someone so I have money invested in it already and it's still needing parts. I'm thinking I should have just saved my money and gotten a new seat.:(

Are you putting a seat together with parts? I am confused. I would pay for the new harnesses.. They are so important.

I would get a New safe seat if I were you and maybe save for a new britax or get one here from someone that is reputable.

Where did you get this seat?

brittany

Did you buy the seat used and are trying to piece it back together? I am just hoping you didnt find it somewhere...that is my first thought when you need foam and a harness...

It would be cheaper just to buy a new seat, esp since you say their is only 1yr left on the seat. Not worth it

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Sorry for underestimating. I agree that it's time to cut your losses with this seat. Selling the cover can get you some of your investment back. If the child fits in a Roundabout s/he'll fit in a Scenera for $40. :)

BlessedMama10

I guess I didn't make myself clear:eek:. I had bought a Marathon and a Roundabout new back in 2006 when I had a new baby and a not quite 2yo. I got the MA for the 2 yo and the baby used the RA. I used them until I had the twins and then I did a switch around with my seats at which point I stored the MA and RA. We moved last year and for some reason my kiddos decided to pick at the EPS foam while I wasn't paying attention. That's why I needed new EPS foam for the seats. I had stripped my seats and washed covers etc but somehow I ended up with only part of my harness for the RA. When I started thinking back on it I couldn't guarantee that the harness had not ever been submerged or washed because I know there was a point in time that I didn't read instructions thoroughly enough to know better. I just hated to toss such good seats since they won't expire until 5/2012 and the other 6/2012 and I know their background. I will probably end up just buying the harness from Britax for the RA and using it until it expires. I was very lucky to have some super helpful mamas with spare EPS, just can't seem to locate a used RA harness that hasn't expired or been washed. I had just hoped to be able to use these seats until after the holidays when I could get him a new MA 70 or Blvd 70. Then these could go into my MILs vehicle to use until they expire so I could get full use out of them. I hope that all made sense.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's up to you, of course, but you can spend $33 to get 1 year of use out of the Roundabout or $45 to get six years out of a Scenera (the Roundabout and Scenera have the same weight limits and roughly the same height limits).

Baylor

Yep. It does now.. It is still worth it to buy the harnesses.. you will know they are safe and get 1.5 years out of them or so..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC