Thinking boosters again - need verification please

Raegansmom4

Since I'll be ordering a booster for dd1 in a few months for this spring (or whenever I catch a great sale), I want to know exactly what I want so I can price watch (she won't go in it until all winter weather is over - about April or May). I've had my eye on the Monterey for her and pretty much had my mind set on it, but I like how tall the PW SGL goes, but I'm afraid it would be too squished for my dd. My dd is SOLID - 60 lbs, 45 inches at her 5 yo checkup last month (wears size 7/8), so I'm concerned that she would feel smushed in the PW SGL, especially in a couple years. Am I right to think this? Should I stick to the Monterey? I've never seen a Monterey or PW SGL in person, so I will be buying on recs from you guys!! Thanks so much!! :)

ADS

munchkin

I don't have any experience with the PWSGL, so take this with grain of salt. I have Mya in the Monterey with me and a regular parkway with her parents (because of no arm rests and it won't turn into a NBB). Mya is solid too, around 55+ pounds at 5.5. She is so much more comfortable is the Monterey. The parkway doesn't necessarily squish her, but she just has more space in the Monterey and I haven't even opened the wings yet. The height doesn't really bother me because I know she will be in a NBB around age 8 and she isnt very tall so I don't need a super tall booster.

So if you can't try them out first I think in your position I would stick with the Monterey.

melniemi

I'm just curious which seat in your venture you are trying to fit a ffing seat? I have a venture so maybe I can help?

Raegansmom4

I have the 8 pass with 3 captains chairs in the 2nd row (I removed the middle one w/ lap-only belt). The only seat there is issues with is the driver's side. Here is why - the lever to flip the seat up is on the same side as the buckle, so the buckle cannot get more upright and puts the seatbelt at an even worse angle compounded with the forward-of-the-bight buckle. I can get great, rock-solid installs with my Regent and GN on the pass side b/c the lever is opposite of the buckle. The Regent and GN were both absolute no-goes on the driver's side. When dd2 was rfing, I had no problem installing a seat on driver's side, but when she had to ff - ugg. I can get a passable ff install w/ her MR. I have thought of switching out that buckle with a more-flexible one (got consult w/ Chevy dealer), but it's spendy. I may just try to live w/ the MR until dd1 goes in a booster and just put the booster on driver's side and put dd2 in a GN on the pass side.

melniemi

Ok, I get it. I have those same seats now - my van came with captain's chairs and I could install quite a few seats ffing(though it wasn't particularly easy). Since I bought the 3 across seats from someone with a Venture, I've only put a booster in that position. I have 2 rfing seats in the other 2 in the center row.

I haven't tried a ffing seat in that particular location, sorry :( And yes, swapping out the buckles is expensive. I thought maybe you were struggling with a captain's chair and I might be able to help :)

Raegansmom4

Ok, I get it. I have those same seats now - my van came with captain's chairs and I could install quite a few seats ffing(though it wasn't particularly easy). Since I bought the 3 across seats from someone with a Venture, I've only put a booster in that position. I have 2 rfing seats in the other 2 in the center row.

I haven't tried a ffing seat in that particular location, sorry :( And yes, swapping out the buckles is expensive. I thought maybe you were struggling with a captain's chair and I might be able to help :)

Thanks, though! I would have been open to any tricks!

Aprilmom

I used to have a 2003 Venture, I switched out the middle seat buckle for the more flexible one and it was free here in Canada! I am sorry you have to pay for it. It certainly was better than the rigid ones, but still a challenge for installs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC