Upright Radian installs?

Aurezalia

I need a vehicle. I'm running out of time and getting more desperate - my Elantra's transmission is going, and it'll be more to fix it than the car is worth.
Thus, I'm less picky in what I'm looking for. I don't want crappy gas mileage - around 18 city. I need a big trunk for dog crates, strollers, etc. And I want to be able to get upright Radian installs in it. I don't even care what I'm looking for - Minivan, SUV, wagon, whatever (Just not another Sedan). It needs to be in the under $8,000 range, and it needs to be reliable.
So, spam me please. Do you drive a vehicle that installs Radians well? What do you like/dislike about it? I just need ideas!

Last edited:
ADS

Rebelnicky04

My car fits it well FF but I haven't tried RF. I have an 07 Chrysler Sebring and purchased it with 65k miles on it for $9,000. It's very dependable and it gets great gas mileage between 25-30mpg w/ the V6. The trunk is HUGE and can fit a bunch of stuff in it and I can fit 2 Marathons and an 80SL on the backseat and 2 adults over 6 ft in the front :eek: They usually go for a reasonable price and I love mine. Good luck car shopping- I absolutely hated having to car shop!

Aurezalia

My car fits it well FF but I haven't tried RF. I have an 07 Chrysler Sebring and purchased it with 65k miles on it for $9,000. It's very dependable and it gets great gas mileage between 25-30mpg w/ the V6. The trunk is HUGE and can fit a bunch of stuff in it and I can fit 2 Marathons and an 80SL on the backseat and 2 adults over 6 ft in the front :eek: They usually go for a reasonable price and I love mine. Good luck car shopping- I absolutely hated having to car shop!

I can't do a sedan, can't fit Labs in the trunk. ;) :p

Angela

I have a Kia Rondo. They don't make new ones anymore, but I'm sure you could find a used one for under 8,000. Not great for 3 across, but doable. Radians install pretty upright, but can't be installed passengers side. Middle's a bit tilted, but works fine. They have 5 and 7 seater versions. 3rd row is good for boosters or adult riders, but that's it. It's nice to be able to have it up or down though. AWESOME trunk space!

Aurezalia

I dragged myself out to look at the GC this morning. (Mae's going to kill me. :duck:) I actually really liked it, the Radian went in easily, upright, and rock solid. The '05 has stow&go seating, so folded down that leaves plenty of room for crates, but I can take them out and seat 3 more if I need to. And I :love: the price. I'm liking this idea more and more. :p And the fuel economy isn't bad, either!
I'm going to find one at another dealer or private owner, though. This place was way skeevy. :eek::thumbsdown:

Rebelnicky04

Just be careful ;) I've been raised in a Chrysler/Dodge family but the thing is... my mom has an '07 Dodge Grand Caravan and it has like 70k miles on it now and she's had it since it was new. It has been a nightmare! The transmission has been in to the dealer at least twice, the automatic doors have closed on my 80 year old grandmother and me, and there have been little squeals (grinding) and electronic problems once it got past 36k miles. It has had a couple recalls too. I usually am ALL for Dodge products like I say- I would just do some research on them because I ALWAYS wanted one until she got hers. Sorry to be a debbie downer :rolleyes:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We looked pretty seriously at the '08 Dodge Caravan before buying my car, and it was *ok* but certainly nothing exciting :eek:. FWIW, the Radians fit very well, very upright in the 2002-2006 Explorers (and they have plenty of room for dogs). The Radian was *made* for my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, too ;)

Aurezalia

Just be careful ;) I've been raised in a Chrysler/Dodge family but the thing is... my mom has an '07 Dodge Grand Caravan and it has like 70k miles on it now and she's had it since it was new. It has been a nightmare! The transmission has been in to the dealer at least twice, the automatic doors have closed on my 80 year old grandmother and me, and there have been little squeals (grinding) and electronic problems once it got past 36k miles. It has had a couple recalls too. I usually am ALL for Dodge products like I say- I would just do some research on them because I ALWAYS wanted one until she got hers. Sorry to be a debbie downer :rolleyes:

Well, there are lemons in every batch. :) Whatever I get I'm going to be really inspecting beforehand though, because I can't be paying for a bunch of costly repairs.

We looked pretty seriously at the '08 Dodge Caravan before buying my car, and it was *ok* but certainly nothing exciting :eek:. FWIW, the Radians fit very well, very upright in the 2002-2006 Explorers (and they have plenty of room for dogs). The Radian was *made* for my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, too ;)

Yeah, the '02/03 Explorer is another one I've been looking at pretty seriously. The fuel economy makes me :eek: though.

Aurezalia

I guess so... But I'm gradually stepping down more and more! LOL.
Well, I'll have to go try it out soon anyway. I found an '02 I really like I'll have to go take a peek at.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Drag the Radian with you...you will fall in love with the install.

We have a 2002 Explorer that has been sitting in our driveway for 5 months, not running, and I still drag the Radian out there about once a month to install it and sit in the front seat with the seat alllll the way back, and marvel at all the room. It is in the shop right now getting the engine replaced, and I can't wait for it to be done so ride in it gangsta-style to enjoy all the room. In my car, the Radian makes the front passenger seat a little cramped, and since I can't drive for the next few weeks, it's driving me crazy :eek:

Aurezalia

Drag the Radian with you...you will fall in love with the install.

We have a 2002 Explorer that has been sitting in our driveway for 5 months, not running, and I still drag the Radian out there about once a month to install it and sit in the front seat with the seat alllll the way back, and marvel at all the room. It is in the shop right now getting the engine replaced, and I can't wait for it to be done so ride in it gangsta-style to enjoy all the room. In my car, the Radian makes the front passenger seat a little cramped, and since I can't drive for the next few weeks, it's driving me crazy :eek:

ROTFL! Yeah, definitely taking the Radian to try it out. It went in easily to the GC, but there was something bothering me about it that I couldn't put my finger on. I've seen people raving on the '02 Explorer install on here which is why it went on my list in the first place.

Also? Can I point out I've been trying to decide on a car for the last 2 - 3 and the Explorer is what I first looked at... If I end up with one everyone is going to kill me out of annoyance. :ROTFLMAO:

manateesmom

I like how the Radian XTSL installs in my 2003 Mazda Tribute, but I only have one, and install it in the middle seat, so I don't know if it would be an issue with front seat legroom. It doesn't protrude into the front seat between the seats at all. I also haul an 80 pound dog in the back. I've had, seriously, no mechanical issues with this vehicle in the 7 1/2 years I've owned it, other than the liftgate occasionally sticks and I need to bump it with my fist to get it open.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm satisfied with the Radian install in my Pilot (though I'm not sure how upright you're looking) -- with the third row down you could certainly fit some dogs. They're normally out of your price range, but I got mine (NADA value 18k) for 12k, and it's a 2006, so if you look at a 2003 or so and get a good deal, it might be workable.

I get 18k mixed driving and 23-24k exclusively highway. I've never done a tank exclusively city, since I live 25 miles away (20 of it highway) from work. (But I do a decent amount of 'city' drving AT work.)

The thing is great for 3-acrosses in the second row.

Aurezalia

I'm satisfied with the Radian install in my Pilot (though I'm not sure how upright you're looking) -- with the third row down you could certainly fit some dogs. They're normally out of your price range, but I got mine (NADA value 18k) for 12k, and it's a 2006, so if you look at a 2003 or so and get a good deal, it might be workable.

I get 18k mixed driving and 23-24k exclusively highway. I've never done a tank exclusively city, since I live 25 miles away (20 of it highway) from work. (But I do a decent amount of 'city' drving AT work.)

The thing is great for 3-acrosses in the second row.

I've been drooling over the Pilot since it came out, but had ruled it out because I didn't think I'd be able to afford it... but you're right, it may be workable.
Do you have a picture of the Radian installed in yours? Or approx. how many degrees you're able to install it at? The third row folds in, it doesn't have to be taken out, right?

HayleyCPST

How about a Volvo? The Wagons are great, they will fit your doggies. Some of them come with the 3rd row jump seat which comes in handy for older kids. I only use mine if I've got a full house and the kids are out of boosters. We don't go on the freeway either-I'm too anal.

Specifically an XC70 or a v70. the 240 is a timeless classic-not sure how old you want to go though!

960, 850, 740...the possibilities are endless!

I agree with an Explorer. My boyfriend has one and it's just beautiful. I can fit 3 Britax's across (maybe not the advocate), facing any direction! AND radians install beautifully. I'm considering switching cars with him because the boosters don't work in my Volvo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC