Hypothetical questions: Triplets and tour busses?

Jan06twinmom

Your sister sounds amazing! I nursed preemie twins and know how hard it is - but I also don't have much sympathy for people who think that bf a full-term singleton is difficult.

When we traveled with our twins, we found it was easier to be in the seats in front and back of each other. So DH rode with DS in the front seat and I rode with DD in the back seat. (Also made it so no one complained about DD's rf car seat since her twin couldn't recline in his ff seat.)

You might call the airport and find out what the regulations are about taking babies through security. When our twins were 18 months old, I was going to carry them both through while DH was dealing with our stuff. I was told I couldn't carry two babies. TSA might be more understanding with triplets. Or if they are not, maybe having someone go to the gate to just help get through security would make it more manageable.

Even if you can't meet your sister at the gate when she arrives, you might want to meet her as she exits security. It was nice having an extra set of hands to help with the children after a long day of flying.

ADS

Eclipsepearl

I hope she can manage a gate-pass for someone at the airport!

Have her look up the aircraft and look at the seating plan. Some aircraft have two seats alone in the back. So that would mean, take the row of three in front and the two seats on their own and no strangers have to sit with them. I agree with the front/back arrangement, instead of all across unless you can get 5 seats that way.

Some aircraft also have 5 across. United's 777 center section, for example. We've done that and had that poor stranger on the end! But, I'll admit, these are rare.

February is a quiet month for flying. Make sure she books a morning flight. Ignore any "tip" to "book when they nap". This goes wrong so many times. One small delay and she had 3 times the meltdown that I used to see! Children are in better humor in the morning (don't be too fixated on getting them to sleep) and flights are more likely to be on time. A winning combination.

To get through the airport, have one push the stroller and the other parent can pull a metal luggage cart with two, or if it can be managed, three seats on it. Use bungee cords and they can puzzle them together. Also, getting a gizmo to put a car seat on the back might be an option but I think between a luggage cart and a stroller, they can do this. Don't get a Gogo because it's basically the same thing, except more expensive and made of plastic instead of metal. It's also only designed to hold one, not two or more, car seats.

Each parent should have a diaper bag in case (we hope this doesn't happen) they're somehow separated. Also, one can head for the restroom to change without having to juggle it between them. I recommend backpack style ones, or use larger backpacks. Have your sister "lose" her purse and go for a small neck bag or fanny pack.

I also was into CDing but I didn't use them on the plane. I used biodegradable diapers (not sure if they're sold in the U.S.) If she does go for disposables, make sure she tries them before the flight. If any/all of them get a rash, a flight is not the time to find this out (says mom of very rash-prone children). For CD's, she probably uses zip locks when out and about. She could mix them but she needs at least some extras in case of a delay.

If they are 6 months old at the time, absolutely PUT OFF SOLIDS. They don't need them this young and it is a pain when traveling. I waited until my two girls were 7 1/2 months each to start solids, put off partly because of international travel but both girls are good eaters and never had weight issues. Of course she should talk to her ped but our's gave us his blessing. My girls were also purely breastfed (never had formula).

She will be so grateful for the breastfeeding when she flies. I've done both (my son had formula and bottles starting at 6 months) so I know. The formula was a lot of work. Breastfeeding in general is much easier IMHO.

Make sure though, that she tries out whatever arrangement she is doing to get through the airport at home first. Have them set it up and take it down again so she's ready for security.

Please share my flying tips with her. They're non-commercial and this board has helped a lot. See my siggy.

robbertbobbert

Wow! Thanks so much everyone!

She uses these: http://www.mobywrap.com/ which I'm pretty sure don't have any metal, so I do hope they let her through like that!

She's calling this week to see about a gate pass, that would make everyone's lives 800x easier.

She hadn't intended on CD'ing them in the first place, but she had so many problems with rashes in sposies, so cloth it is.

I told my sister that everyone here thinks she's awesome :) she says it's a whole bunch of work, but it's worth it!

And thanks for the tip on avoiding flying during naptime! I guess someone had already told Liz that and she was thinking about trying it. Now we know not to do it!

Stresch

Odds are very, very good that she will need to have the babies out of the wrap. Also, FYI kids are not expected to go through the scanners, but that seems to be inconsistent between airports.

robbertbobbert

Also, I think I already know the answer to this, but would it be a better idea to nurse on the plane with the babies (well, one baby at a time) in the Moby wrap, instead of just holding them? It seems like that'd give them at least a little more protection if they hit unexpected turbulence while one was out of its' seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It might or might not make a difference, and what difference it made would depend on the circumstances. Carriers are not prohibited during the cruising portion of the flight.

Mugsmom

Also, I think I already know the answer to this, but would it be a better idea to nurse on the plane with the babies (well, one baby at a time) in the Moby wrap, instead of just holding them? It seems like that'd give them at least a little more protection if they hit unexpected turbulence while one was out of its' seat.

Last time I flew (1.5 years ago maybe?) there was a mother who had her baby in a Moby wrap on the plane. They made her take him out during take off and landing. Just a heads up.

Pixels

It might or might not make a difference, and what difference it made would depend on the circumstances. Carriers are not prohibited during the cruising portion of the flight.

Carriers are prohibited any time the fasten seatbelt sign is on, but in that case the babies would all be required to be in their seats and buckled anyway.

mrdhollins

I'm very involved in a babywearing group and as long as the carrier has no metal, none of the parents have had to remove their children from the carrier to go through security (in the last 2-3 years). We live in a major city (Washington, DC).

Moby wraps have no metal in them. They are a long, stretchy piece of cloth.

If she is capable, I would nurse in the carrier on the plan and keep her seatbelt on. The carrier will afford some protection that the kid stays attached to her and her seatbelt keeps her in the seat.

She is Wonder Woman!

Pixels

I have an Ergo (only metal is a zipper, no more than in a pair of pants) and have had to remove DD every time I went through security.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC