Hypothetical questions: Triplets and tour busses?

robbertbobbert

Tour busses:
One of the bands I listen to (Weezer) got in a pretty severe bus crash last winter. They had the singer's wife and baby on the bus with them. The singer and his assistant were pretty severely injured (broken ribs, legs, punctured lung). They said the baby wasn't injured because she was harnessed into her "crib unit." Has anyone heard of these? If so, how safe are they? I know several other artists (like Gwen Stefani) travel with their kids on busses too. I would hazard a guess that that the majority of them don't do it safely.

Triplets:
Some of you may remember that my sister has triplets. They're four months old now. She's planning on coming up to Seattle (from Arizona) in February with her babies and her husband. They'd be flying.

She has no idea how to go about transporting the babies and their seats. She already knows she needs to buy seats for each baby, so that's not an issue. She's planning on bringing the coccoros, but has keyfits too.

She wanted me to relay a few of her questions:

1) how should they go about getting through the airport? They babywear a lot, so she's thinking maybe wear one baby each, put the third in their double stroller and try to put one car seat in the unoccupied side of the stroller. What about the other seats?

2) How should they arrange themselves on the plane? They don't have enough adults to sit one with each baby. She was thinking one row going (from the window out) baby, baby, DH. Then another row baby, her, some random poor sucker sitting between a family with infant triplets.

3) Is installing seats on planes similar to cars? How should she go about doing this? Any tutorials anywhere?

4) Is it safe to take the babies out of the seats during the flight besides just to change diapers? Obviously she'd do it as little as possible, but what about soothing babies and nursing?

Sorry this is so long! She's super overwhelmed and no one knows how to help her.

ADS

vonfirmath

(1) Their plan sounds great. Getting through the airport probably WILL be the hardest part. They will need to take the babies off to go through security -- and I'm not sure how that will work since no one has 3 hands to hold them all :(

Does the double stroller take their keyfits? If so, might want to put one baby in one of the keyfits in the stroller then try to stack the other two in the other half -- or put two babies and use the extra person space freed up to carry the third car seat.

(2) Again, sounds like a good plan.

If you get an airplane that is 3 on one side and 2 on the other, they might want to consider taking up one full row.

(3) Installing a seat on the airplane is JUST like installing it in a car with a lap-only belt. I don't know how easy/hard it is to install a Cocorro.

(4) It is fairly necessary to take the babies out when necessary for soothing, and such. Obviously, all the time they are out they are subject to possible go flying in the case of turbulence. But you also can not just let them cry if you can do something about it with everyone else on the plane having to listen to them.

This is a do the best you can type of situation.

She might want to see if this would be a case they could get a 3rd person to go to the gate with them/meet them at the other end.

The last flight we were on, my just-turned 3 year old actually spent a fair deal of time out of his seat playing in the seat well in front of it. NOT when the seatbelt lights were on. But the alternative would have been noisy. he was at his LIMIT for car seat time.

You might look around and notice when the stewardesses are up doing stuff (distributing food, etc). Then its probably fairly safe.

robbertbobbert

Thanks!

I'm not sure if the stroller takes the keyfits, but I can ask.

Could she walk through with two babies at once? Or do they need to be individual? I'm not sure what TSA expects them to do otherwise!

I'll be sure to tell her to ask if they could maybe get a gate pass for this situation. That would be ten million times easier.

The keyfits can be installed baseless on the plane, right? If they end up taking those, she wants to use the bases that my mom has up here so it's not another thing they have to shlep through the airport.

VoodooChile

When I flew with dd and ds, back when ds was an infant, the TSA was really accommodating and actually didn't make me take him out of the sling when we went though security. I was really surprised, but it made getting through security a lot easier.

geekKT

I don't have a lot of answers to your questions, but now I'm feeling lucky for only having to take 1 baby and his gear through an airport!

As far as TSA/Screening...when we went through they were pretty accommodating. I would think she could walk through with two of them, there isn't really another option. I was wearing DS in a ring sling and they had me take him out, but I've heard varying accounts as to whether people have had to or not for different carriers. Either way, they were very patient with me and our load of gear, and I would hope any other passengers would be as well.

ETA: I don't know how strict they are about gate passes these days, but it sure would be helpful in this situation. Barring that, I'd be renting a luggage cart or strapping carseats to the stroller, I think.

VoodooChile

I know that at every airport, from O'Hare to the tiny one where I live now, they were all adamant that I would not have to be separated from the kids at any time.

MomToEliEm

Make sure they take a copy of the FAA regulations for carseats on airplanes:
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 120-87B.pdf

Here is a good blog discussing what is allowed via the FAA regulations:
http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-blog-flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

Within the FAA document, it states that the preferred location for a carseat is in the window seat, but other seats are allowed as well as long as it doesn't block anyone's access to exit the plane. They should be able to install the two infant seats together with a parent in the aisle without any issues, though they might need the FAA regulations to help convince the flight attendant that it is allowed.

BananaBoat

I know that at every airport, from O'Hare to the tiny one where I live now, they were all adamant that I would not have to be separated from the kids at any time.

While this may be 100% the case, I have yet to go through security with DD & be allowed wear her in a carrier. Every time I have been required to take the carrier off, put it through the Xray machine & carry DD through the scanner & do up the carrier on the other side.

These airports include, but are not limited to: Boston, Newark, Toronto, Nassau (Bahamas), Provo (Turks & Caicos), Munich (Germany), Frankfurt (Germany), Zagreb (Croatia) & Sarasota/Bradenton.

vonfirmath

I do not think by this they mean that you can remain physically attached. Rather the child will not be taken away.

What I have seen done at the airport is dad goes through first, momma hands baby through the screener to the dad, then momma goes through.

I do not know what happens if the mom is on her own. By the time I was on my own, my son was on his own two feet and could walk through on his own. (though easily distracted) I sent him through. Then walked through myself.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Coccoro is fairly easy to install on the plane. I'd still take the Keyfits, just for the ease of getting the carseats through the airport.

They can practice installing them a bit with the belt baseless before they go. That'll help. And preboard. For pete's sake have the gate agent preboard them. LOL I think saying, "I have triplets in carseats, can I go on early to install?" will be her magic ticket. Or, "I'd rather not hold up the line by installing my newborn triplets' carseats during general boarding. May I go on earlier, please?" Like, first. It's not tough, but it's still three seats.

She's nursing three babies? She is a goddess!!! Please tell her I said that. That's awesome.

Wendy

Mom2three

Maybe a cheap luggage cart from Walmart. We flew with 2 kids in carseats, and 2 older girls. I attached 2 carseats, a small duffel bag, and a diaper bag to a little metal luggage cart with bungee cords. Carried DS in an Ergo on my back, DH carried DD in a Beco on his back.
Depending on what type of carriers they have, it might be easiest to have each parent carry one baby, put the third in the stroller and then bungee the seats in/on the stroller. Do you know what kind of stroller it is? Depending on what type of handles it has, they might be able to hand 1 or 2 KFs on the handles.
Minimizing extra stuff is key for us. I have flown recently with my 2 youngest, but it was easier because DD is almost 4 now and can walk, and listen, and carry a backpack. Empty pockets, except for ticket info and ID, no belts, easy to remove shoes, and as few carry ons as possible.

ETA: the KF and Coccoro install very easily on an planes we have used them in.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Wow-that sounds like a lot of work!

I flew with a family that I babysit for. It was the Mom, an almost three year old, and an 11 month old. She only brought a car seat for the 11 month old (a Britax Marathon). We had that on GoGoKidz. Going through the airport, the baby was in the stroller and then we pulled the GoGoKidz with the car seat. It took a while to get through security (taking off shoes, hats, etc). Once we were done going through security, we moved up into a little seating area and got situated again.

When we got on the airplane, everyone was so helpful. I held the baby while the Mom installed the seat, and the stewards showed the 3 year old the back of the plane (since we were the 2nd to last row). They were incredibly helpful. The baby ended up getting really sick (vomit) while on the plane, and the stewardesses and stewards were just incredible.

We waited to get off until most people had already filed out. The steward who helped in the beginning ended up holding the 3 year olds hand and walking out with him and another woman even helped carry stuff off.

There will be helpful people there and when people offer--they should accept (within reason, of course!). It's very exhausting!

cat mommy

That is the best set up for sitting on the plane. If there are some empty seats, random guy will probably get moved. Otherwise, too bad--sometimes your seatmates are just better than on other flights.

She can hold two babies as she goes through the metal detector--one in each arm. She would turn sideways and shimmy through so that no one touches the metal detector (which is not allowed and why I suspect sometimes TSA has issues with babies being carried through). DH would go through with the third baby.

And she should pick an airline that offers preboarding for kids. When I fly have flown alone with two, we preboard and I am just finishing up with seat installation when the final passengers are boarding.

robbertbobbert

Wow thanks for all the responses!

1) I just remembered about the new body scanners. Can she take babies through those with her or will they have to go for the pat down? I think that might just be easier anyway.

2) I'll let her know that the keyfits sound like the best option!

3) They use the Moby wrap things, so there's no metal, maybe they'd be more likely to let them through?

4) Yup, she's nursing them! At first she was getting some donor milk because she couldn't keep up, but she's got herself on a strict pumping/nursing schedule. She rotates who gets a bottle when, just because it's not always possible to fit 3 in at a feeding. I about died when she told me about some girl complaining about nursing at her work. She said it was "too hard" and "too time consuming" and was amazed that Liz would even consider it. My sister said something along the lines of "WELL, formula is heinously expensive and I have THREE BABIES TO FEED, breastmilk is the best for them, I can nurse in my sleep, and how do you think I got back to my pre-triplet weight?!" They also cloth diaper! My sister isn't joking around.

5) She just broke down and bought a new stroller today because it takes two keyfits and she thinks it'd make it a whole lot easier that way. (http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/strollers/cortina-together/cortina-together-cubes.aspx).

6) They're gonna have carryons/diaper bags in addition to the seats and babies themselves, so I think a luggage cart is gonna be a great idea!

robbertbobbert

Oh and i can't imagine that anyone would give them grief for asking to preboard.

"Oh what's that? You don't want to let me on early to load in my 5 month old triplets? Well THAT will be fun for everyone else!"

cat mommy

I haven't been through a body scanner but apparently they ask you to stand still for several seconds....I'm not sure if the babies will be able to do that at their age.

soygurl

4) Yup, she's nursing them! At first she was getting some donor milk because she couldn't keep up, but she's got herself on a strict pumping/nursing schedule. She rotates who gets a bottle when, just because it's not always possible to fit 3 in at a feeding. I about died when she told me about some girl complaining about nursing at her work. She said it was "too hard" and "too time consuming" and was amazed that Liz would even consider it. My sister said something along the lines of "WELL, formula is heinously expensive and I have THREE BABIES TO FEED, breastmilk is the best for them, I can nurse in my sleep, and how do you think I got back to my pre-triplet weight?!" They also cloth diaper! My sister isn't joking around.
I'm afraid I don't really have any advice to offer... just wanted to say that your sister is my hero! Nursing AND cloth diapering triplets? OMG... :love:

babyherder

I do not think by this they mean that you can remain physically attached. Rather the child will not be taken away.

What I have seen done at the airport is dad goes through first, momma hands baby through the screener to the dad, then momma goes through.

I do not know what happens if the mom is on her own. By the time I was on my own, my son was on his own two feet and could walk through on his own. (though easily distracted) I sent him through. Then walked through myself.

I've seen parents be allowed to carry their baby/child when they go through the medal detector. I was behind a family with a toddler once and parents tried to coax her to walk through on her own but she wouldn't go even though she physically could have. After a minute one parent just scooped her up and went through. They got wanded on the other side. TSA wasn't upset at all. I don't know how they handle the new rules but from everything I've seen TSA seems to be interested in not having screaming kids and will do their best to avoid kids having to do anything they could perceive as scary.

jnamommy

Wow. Nursing and cloth diapering 3 babies at once. Your sis is amazing :love:

What type of carriers does she use? It seems all airports are diff, but when I flew with dd in a ring sling, I had to take her out and take it off (and wake her up, not fun). When I had her in a babyhawk, TSA let her stay in since there was no metal in it.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC