Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 47lb 4 1/2 y/o

47lb 4 1/2 y/o

Hi and thanks in advance.
    My son is 47lbs, about 40 inches, 4 and 1/2 and in a Frontier in our Sienna and a FPSVD in our CRV. So he has 3lbs left in the FPSVD (exp early 2013)and we need a new seat. I was wondering if a Radian XTSL would last us long enough until he is able to be in a booster. I have a 1 year old in a Marathon (Exp 1/13) that could probably use a radian after the those 2 expire. I also like the idea of the super latch because it would make it easier to install in the captains chair of our new Sienna. (Once installed with the belt, I can't move the seat up to get to the 3rd row).

Anyway. I didn't know if the Radian would be useful for him at all or if i should wait until after the MA and FPSD expire for the radian and get something else for the 4 1/2 y/o.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 47lb 4 1/2 y/o

The FPSVD goes to 55 pounds, not 50.

The Radian has top slots just over an inch taller than the FPSVD. It'd get him until he was ready for a booster, in all likelihood.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Re: 47lb 4 1/2 y/o

You also need to take into account what year car you have. You can only use SuperLATCH to the full abilities of the car seat if your car was manufactured after September 1 of 2005. Make sure that you're looking at the manu date, not the model year. To see your DOM, it's usually on the inside sticker of the driver's side door, along with how much air should be in your tires.

Often times, even though a car may be an '05, it was manufactured in '04.
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

5. Thank You from: