Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

<Air> protect install

I tried installing an Air Protect in a 2000 Neon...if I make it level to ground it touches the driver and passenger seats is this ok? - I don't have an owner's manual for the car.

In a crash would the seats touching have a negative effect on his seat... Any info would be greatly appreciated (as my hubby is trying to figure out the physics).

My LO is 11.5 months old 23lbs.

Do you need a locking clip using a lap belt?
    Are pool noodles required or is that just if you can't get a good install?
    I have already contacted my local health unit to ask when the next inspection clinic will be.

Thanks!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: <Air> protect install

Quote Originally Posted by visioner View Post
    I tried installing an Air Protect in a 2000 Neon...if I make it level to ground it touches the driver and passenger seats is this ok? - I don't have an owner's manual for the car.
    I assume you mean a Complete Air? The Air Protect is their technology on their infant seats, convertibles, combinations, and boosters.

In a crash would the seats touching have a negative effect on his seat... Any info would be greatly appreciated (as my hubby is trying to figure out the physics).
    They can gently touch, but they don't need to. Those lines are for a newborn. For an 11 month old you can sit it up much more upright, as upright as 30 degrees. And I would.

Do you need a locking clip using a lap belt?
    No, you never use a locking clip on a lap belt. All of your seatbelts lock anyway, so you won't need a locking clip.

Are pool noodles required or is that just if you can't get a good install?
    They're to achieve the proper angle rear facing. If you're using some, remove some of them.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Welcome to car-seat.org!

The manual does say that the seat must be installed with the lines level to the ground and Dorel (maker of Safety 1st products) sticks to that. The tech manual indicates that a more upright install for older babies is preferable safety-wise, and obviously for convenience sake as well, so most of us are comfortable telling parents that it's okay to install it more upright.

In a crash, the front seats will be moving in the same direction as the car seat, so touching isn't a problem as long as it doesn't mess with advanced airbags, which you won't have in a 2000.

You never use a locking clip with a lap-only belt. Lap belts usually lock at the latchplate. You just buckle through the belt path, pull the tail to tighten, and you're done!

Noodles are just used to help you achieve the right angle for rear-facing. If you can do it without noodles, that's fine.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

I didn't use pool noodles or the locking clip so glad to hear I did it right! I read a lot of reviews saying installation is hard so I was confused how I did it without hubbies help so I thought maybe I was missing something.

And it is Complete Air...on the CT website is called Air Protect.

Thanks.