Anyone have/ have used this?

MySillyKids

StandardPackage.jpg

I need to get something for my 14 month old who only crawls. I find myself carrying him all the time, and he's getting heavy!

This would help a TON!

If you have used it, if you did, or didnt like it, have something else to recommend?

ADS

SPJ&E

I have one and love it! Joshua just turned 1 and is about 20 lbs. and I can carry him comfortably. I can also carry Pacey in it at 27 lbs., but not for as long as Joshua.

I have a bit of discomfort in my shoulder/neck area where the strap goes, but not enough to REALLY bother me. It's a million times better than a front carrier...that's for sure! It doesn't really leave both hands free (I think it advertises that it does) because the baby is in the way (you can see it in the picture), but it doesn't break your arm like carrying baby does, lol. The straps you tighten don't really have anywhere to go, but you can just tuck them under, no big deal.

I think it's extremely easy to put on, get baby in, and get it tightened. Once you do it a few times, it's nothing! When we go to the store, I just buckle it around my waist, then get Joshua out of his carseat and sit him on my hip (just like I would if I were carrying him) on top of the carrier, pull the carrier up and over my head, and tighten it. Believe me, it sounds more complicated than it is...it takes me 30 seconds! Plus the instructions are right there on the carrier if you need them. Oh and it's just as easy to get baby out of and take off.

SPJ&E

They both were a bit in awe when they first seen it and played in it. Of course, I've had to get in it with them a few times and they just LOVE that! It's not as big as it looked in the pictures (not as big as I'd hoped), but still a good size and I'm happy with it. I meant to post some pictures of Joshua's birthday and everything and just never got around to it!

Thanks for remembering and asking!

Splash

It's going to really throw your body out of alignment. How long term are you thinking of using it? If it's just around the house or for quick errands, it'll be fine. If you're talking about all day, or even several hours at a time, you're going to hate it. If you're going to wear him for an extended period of time, you're best off getting a back carrier. Even if you're not, I'd still go with a sling or pouch worn on the hip than this. At least a sling you can flare out over your shoulder instead of one small strap pulling at your neck.

broken4u05

i just got an ergo and i love it. I have not done the hip side yet but on the back i can put jack or drew in it and i am fine. Drew i think is 26 pounds by now

mamato2

I used a Hip Hammock with my youngest. She absolutely loved it and I found it easier to carry her in it as she got older than the sling I used with my first dd. I did have some discomfort at my neck/shoulder at times but it was very easy to use and secure. I found myself readjusting from time to time but it wasn't enough of a bother to not use it. When she was little I used it for several hours at a time but as she got mobile and just wanted to be with me I used it for shorter periods of time. I still have it and dd sometimes mentions how she remembers it (and the back carrier - that was GREAT for sleeping in) even at 5 years old!
I used it to carry my sleeping 4 1/2 year old once years ago but she was/is such a peanut she hardly weighed anything and fit pretty well!
C.

cpsaddict

I have also used a Hip Hammock with a 21lbs 1 yr old. I loved it and not many carriers work for me. I have a herniated disk in my back and my back gets tired fast. With this one, I carried him all over the mall and was fine. Most of the weight is on your hip, rather than the neck. I also have a sling and it works, but the Hammock is more comfortable for me.

TRU and BRU carry it and I got mine at Target.

Mama2J

Yes we had the Hip Hammock and used it until Justin was about 2 years old. After that he wanted to walk everywhere. I liked it, it is a bit hard on the shoulders though especially with a heavier child, and I would switch it from one side to the other occasionally. Probably a back carrier would have been better as he got older, but all the ones I saw were so expensive I made do with that one, and he loved being carried in it.

Another thing I found to make life easier was to use a backpack instead of a diaper bag. Even though he is 3 1/2 now, I continue using the backpack to keep our stuff in and use as a work bag.

Loves2sing

I have tried a similar product recently, only around the store, with my 23 pounder, and I thought it worked great, really helped take the strain off of my back! it seems to distribute the weight more evenly somehow.

Lea_Ontario

I have tried the Hip Hammock once - but found it quite painful to wear. I much prefer my ring sling, as it distributes the weight over a larger area and isn't painful at all to wear.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
The Right Start carries this.

I bought one for my 1st, and thought it sucked. I felt that he was too loose... I'm not sure that's the right description, but it didn't feel secure, and it was very painful.

I'd sooner use a ring sling, much more comfortable.

My preference for my 12 month old is a mei tai, it spreads the weight over my shoulders and back better.

lovinwaves

I think you would be happier with a Mei Tai. When a child gets older and heavier you want the weight more distributed across your body. With the hammock carrier it is across one shoulder and the strap or padding is not very wide.

With a Mei Tai you can carry your child in all different positions. It is extremely versatile, and even Hubby can join in on the fun! :thumbsup: I also carried my kids on my hip using a mei tai carrier.

Here are some pix of mine. Starlight is the proud new owner LOL! :cool:

eb326b29.jpg
eb00ddc9.jpg
eb3294fa.jpg
eb329119.jpg

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Those pictures just remind me: I want a mei tai so bad!!! I just don't have any use for one now, but they look so nice & comfy!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have used the hip hammock and the Nojo swling. The sling, for my son, 13 years ago and the hip hammock a few weeks ago. I like them both. I have a bad back from to car accidents, one while I was pregnant and one when my son was 9 monthes old. I used the hammock for a 2 yr old girl I was baby sitting while mom took the tech class. I was in and out of cars, checking installs. It worked great!

scatterbunny

I saw Judi with the Hip Hammock and was jealous. :) Wish I'd had one of those when Hayley was smaller. The Mei Tai looks really nice, too!

skipspin

I got a really nice WAHM version of the hip hammock.
http://www.hippanda.com/

You can get one that distributes weight better over the shoulder and there are more colors. (I mean, colors ARE important!)

I used it with DD when she was 15-24 months and for a baby I babysat who was 6 months. It works really great. I could wear it comfortably for at least two hours.

jennsmile

I have and Ergo and love it. I can use it as a hip carrier or i can use it as the back pack or front carrier. It is 3 in one and cheaper than buying three seperate things. I think there is also a place to try out the Ergo for 3 months.

Jenn

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC