i'm somewhat bitter

JamieB

Besides the fact that my friend was given a hard time by a police officer in town for using a Snugride without the base because they CANNOT be installed without a base, and even if it could be it is not safe to install your own carseat. You must get a police officer to do it. Hopefully one a little more informed:mad:

Anyway, besides that, I am somewhat bitter because I was explaining to another friend the danger of big coats in carseats and she mentioned it to her friend who is a firefighter therefore "trained in carseats". When she told him what I said about the coats he looked at her as if she had grown twon heads and asked where I was getting my information. And of course she believes him and I am crazy for even thinking that it could be true. Ugh.

So is it true that some carseat manuals actual have right in them not to wear bulky coats? Or is it on the websites? I looked but did not have any luck. Could anyone link me please? I saw on a video on youtube that Britax says this and Graco says that but I can't find it in writing anywhere thereore it means nothing.

ADS

canadiangie

My goodness. I hope your friend fights her ticket if she received one, because her Snugride can in fact be installed safely without the base. It takes a few minutes, and requires a person to determine how their seatbelt locks (and lock it manually if applicable) but it is absolutely safe, if done correctly.

In terms of the winter wear question, I always chuckle when someone needs proof. Isn't it logical? :eek: Anyway, it's a highly googleable question. I typed in "is it safe to wear winter wear in a car seat?" and got an entire page of sites with relevant info on the subject. You are in fact correct that bulky winter wear is unsafe and not recommended. A harness made loose enough to accomodate a bulky winter coat will allow for too much movement in a crash. The bulky coat compresses on impact and what seems like a tight harness is far too loose and the child moves too much. Too much movement and the child can be partially or fully ejected from the seat.

I'm not sure if any manufacturers have this in their FAQ section and don't have time to check right now.

mam521

Besides the fact that my friend was given a hard time by a police officer in town for using a Snugride without the base because they CANNOT be installed without a base, and even if it could be it is not safe to install your own carseat. You must get a police officer to do it. Hopefully one a little more informed:mad:

You can install your own carseat. You need to read the manual as well as your vehicle manual to ensure you understand the instructions on how to do it properly. There are many police officers that aren't familiar with proper carseat installations and you will find they would defer to the owners manual for the child restraint as well. Its recommended you have a CPST check your install is all. A police officer can ticket for incorrect usage but its usually gross misuse of something required (like not using a top tether on a FF seat).

selinajean

You can install your own carseat. You need to read the manual as well as your vehicle manual to ensure you understand the instructions on how to do it properly. There are many police officers that aren't familiar with proper carseat installations and you will find they would defer to the owners manual for the child restraint as well. Its recommended you have a CPST check your install is all. A police officer can ticket for incorrect usage but its usually gross misuse of something required (like not using a top tether on a FF seat).

That quote about not being able to install your own seat is what the police officer was telling her friend! :eek: It sounds like the OP is fully aware of how things really work but her friend ran into some issues when a law enforcement officer spread some misinformation.

ninejr

So is it true that some carseat manuals actual have right in them not to wear bulky coats?

I can only speak for the seats we have, which are Graco, but the manual has a warning that says the children should not wear clothes that interfere with the harness function (or something like that, I don't remember the exact words and DH has the car right now so I can't run out and check the manual). Anyway I would think a bulky coat would definitely count as clothes that interfere with the harness function.

tjham

This thread may be helpful.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522

And maybe this Children's Hospital site will carry some weight;

http://www.chhsblog.com/2009/12/winter-coats-and-car-seats/

And this from the AAP site:

http://www.healthychildren.org/engl...fety-Seats-Information-for-Families-2010.aspx

I wish it was more specific and mentioned older children as well as infants.

About a third of the way down:

Q: Can I adjust the straps when my baby is wearing thicker clothing, like in the winter?

A: Yes, but make sure the harnesses are still snug. Also remember to tighten the straps again after the thicker clothes are no longer needed. Dress your baby in thinner layers instead of a bulky coat or snowsuit, and tuck a blanket around your baby over the buckled harness straps if needed.

Last edited:

JamieB

That quote about not being able to install your own seat is what the police officer was telling her friend! :eek: It sounds like the OP is fully aware of how things really work but her friend ran into some issues when a law enforcement officer spread some misinformation.

Thank you. Sorry if my initial post was confusing. I was pretty worked up at the time. And yes, this quote was coming from the police officer. Meanwhile the police officer and her wife have a baby and the wife has no idea how to install their carseat because only police officers can do it. Hopefully the wife and child never break down somewhere and need a ride because she will have NO IDEA what to do with that seat...

Anyway I know that bulky coats don't mix with carseats and that parents should know how to install their own seats. I wouldn't let the police officers in this town touch my carseat with a ten foot pole! My friend also knows too and was very upset to be confronted and accused of putting a baby in danger. This police officer is a friend who assumed she had the snugride just sitting on the seat in the truck because she didn't believe they could be installed without a base. We cleared that up pretty quickly. Sorry, i'm rambling on. lol

This thread may be helpful.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522

And maybe this Children's Hospital site will carry some weight;

http://www.chhsblog.com/2009/12/winter-coats-and-car-seats/

And this from the AAP site:

http://www.healthychildren.org/engl...fety-Seats-Information-for-Families-2010.aspx

I wish it was more specific and mentioned older children as well as infants.

About a third of the way down:

Q: Can I adjust the straps when my baby is wearing thicker clothing, like in the winter?

A: Yes, but make sure the harnesses are still snug. Also remember to tighten the straps again after the thicker clothes are no longer needed. Dress your baby in thinner layers instead of a bulky coat or snowsuit, and tuck a blanket around your baby over the buckled harness straps if needed.

Thank you very much:thumbsup:

tam_shops

Not to worry, I'm a bit daft & I understood what you said, had a good laugh & eye roll over it! Maybe the officer's wife had a Peg Car seat for their first babe, I was so annoyed when I realized my friend's SRs could be installed w/ out the base & my $$$ Peg seat didn't! But, back then what did I know about car seats, I bought the $$$ one b/c surely it was safer & better! In my defence, it went w/ my stroller! LOL :whistle:

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
About bulky winter wear, Britax does have it in their manuals, and I saw a commercial the other day that actually mentioned it - I think it was health Canada that had sponsored the commercial?

Of course a lot of people just ignore that warning in their manual because we live in Canada and winter coats are necessary to keep kids warm.... but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.

K's Mama

About bulky winter wear, Britax does have it in their manuals, and I saw a commercial the other day that actually mentioned it - I think it was health Canada that had sponsored the commercial?

Of course a lot of people just ignore that warning in their manual because we live in Canada and winter coats are necessary to keep kids warm.... but that doesn't make it any less dangerous.

Yup - absolutely necessary :rolleyes: The looks I get b/c my DD only wears a fleece jacket during the winter in Saskatchewan... She hasn't frozen to death yet :whistle:

mam521

Yup - absolutely necessary :rolleyes: The looks I get b/c my DD only wears a fleece jacket during the winter in Saskatchewan... She hasn't frozen to death yet :whistle:

Yup, everyone at preschool looks at me like I'm nuts when my kid comes rolling in in her fleece, touque and mitts. Believe me, she'd tell me if she was freezing!

Luckily I live in Leduc and we don't have the same idle law that Edmonton has...IF your neighbours actually call to rat you out for warming your vehicle ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC