Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

iPod virgin needs help!

I confess: I'm an iPod virgin

But, I think I'm ready to pop my cherry & am asking for one for Xmas from DH. I also think I'd like the Touch because I could use it for travel with DD & load some episodes of Sesame Street on it. I'm not super-attached to my electronics, so I don't forsee needing it for everything, KWIM?

Please school me on what I need! Help me understand how much memory I need, what the differences between the generations are & where you've found a good price on one!

nervous n00b
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: iPod virgin needs help!

Just get the newest one, 4th generation, with 32megabytes (or more, but 32 holds tons...I have hundreds of podcasts, 2 movies, and 20 free mg to fill with anything else I want, eventually). You can find them for $295, but shop around for the place with the best gift card deal (TRU had a 50$ gift card with it, Target had $30, sometimes it comes with a big iTunes gift card, too, that you can use to buy apps or buy/rent movies).
    I paid $261 a couple months ago for a 3rd gen and of course I'm crying I don't have cameras on mine now for only 30 bucks more (that's the major difference, the cameras, possibly a higher definition display).
    Once you get it, it's easy... just plug it in to the main computer you want to attach it to where you want your iTunes/videos/music and follow the simple instructions. Then you can post asking for all the (mostly free!) apps and podcasts the rest of us like (free sesame street word of the day! I love that one...heck, you can download itunes now and find loads of things to watch and listen to right on your computer).

HTH
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

Excellent info!

I've seen 2nd & 3rd generation around for <$200 with 16G. Besides storing a boatload of stuff on it, what are the other disadvantages of the 2nd or 3rd generation Touch?
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Basically, above the 1G, here's a quick laydown (info from Wikipedia):

2G: Nike+ functionality, volume buttons, and built-in speaker added. Bluetooth support added but not made active until iPhone OS 3.0, which requires an upgrade fee. Support for external microphone and remote added.

3G: Updated to include the upgraded RAM, CPU and GPU internals from the iPhone 3GS; the 32GB and 64GB models include Voice Control support, VoiceOver, included OS version 3.x, and bundled remote earphones with microphone.

4G: Front-facing camera, Retina display (same as my iPhone 4), can record 720p video via the back-facing camera.

IMHO, the only huge advantage of having the latest one, aside from the Retina display, would be the fact that you can actually sort-of use it as a phone. How? Buy a microphone/headphone combo, load Skype on it, and anywhere you have a Wifi connection, use Skype to call people. OR you can buy the new 'sled' that Sprint is selling, which essentially does the same thing.

As far as the touchscreen goes, I held off for the longest time on getting a touchscreen device, simply because I didn't want to pay a lot for a device like that unless it was goign to be 'the' all-in-one device. As soon as I got my iPhone 4, however, I realized it saved me a LOT of time. You don't have to ensure you're positively pushing down a button; and the autocorrection is really something; you can be 'off home row' and it'll still understand what you're trying to type, for the most part.

In short, unless you're a techno-geek, if you just want support for videos and audio, a 2G or 3G will get you by; if you want more than that, and like the idea of kind-of using it as a communications device, go with a 4G.
    "I pursue my faith with a lack of remorse; I stand resolute to embrace the cause." -- Project 86

The 4th gens and iPhone 4 can do Face Time between each other as well. And after seeing a retina display, you will not want a previous generation. The display is gorgeous and so easy on the eyes. Although the Touch doesn't have an IPS (in plane switching) like the iPhone 4 does, it's still so much nicer than previous displays.

3rd gen and 4th gen can do multitasking with iOS 4.x. 2nd gen cannot. Also can't change the backgrounds on 2nd gen models.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

8. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

If this makes a difference in what you end up buying it looks like they have Facetime in Beta for Mac's as well.
    So you will be able to use Facetime on your itouch to talk to not just a iphone/itouch user but a imac user as well. For me this is the main reason I would get the latest generation of the itouch.

http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

Quote Originally Posted by BudgieStew View Post
    If this makes a difference in what you end up buying it looks like they have Facetime in Beta for Mac's as well.
    So you will be able to use Facetime on your itouch to talk to not just a iphone/itouch user but a imac user as well. For me this is the main reason I would get the latest generation of the itouch.

http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/
    Right, I forgot to mention that! DH has it on his MacBook and after DD and I have storytime, we FaceTime him from my phone while's in the living room on the computer so she can say good night one last time.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

One BIG caveat to Facetime, however (and not sure if this has been changed):

The Facetime ONLY works over wifi - not over 3G currently.

But yeah, that's why I got it. Once they okay it for 3G, I'll be good to go; I'm one of the lucky ones that held onto unlimited data plans, so I can Skype and Facetime to my heart's content.
    "I pursue my faith with a lack of remorse; I stand resolute to embrace the cause." -- Project 86

Right now Amazon has the 32 gb 4th gen for $269.99 plus a $25 gift card.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA1O18?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20"]Amazon.com: Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL: Electronics[/ame]

Apple themselves has the same thing for $229, free shipping. It is refurbished, but to be blunt, I can tell you as an IT professional that 99% of the time, 'Refurbished' means that some little old lady ordered one, said "Oh dear....I just don't like the color...." and returned it. I'll almost always buy refurbished over new, especially if it comes with the same warranty;.