quick questions CA65, Brown Plastic booster?

turtlemama

I just got a CA65 for my almost 4 yr old. Does it have to have a vehicle head rest behind it for FF? He is RF for now, but I want to make sure I didn't waste my money on it for down the line. I couldn't find anything when I searched the site for this. Also how far is it allowed to come up off the seat if I push the top of the car seat forward? It comes up pretty far so I didnt know if that was ok or not. I had a hard time getting it tight enough in my captains chair since there is plastic things on the side of my chair that make the CA slide around. I'll post pics as soon as I can get some uploaded.

Also today I saw a car with two boosters, they looked like the Cosco hbb, but one had brown plastic and some kind of brownish plaid cover and it had armrests. The other one was black and had no cover. It also appeared to not be made out of the same plastic as the Coscos are. It looked more like the plastic from a Regent?
I was just wondering what those were and if they were expired since I've never seen a brown seat before.

ADS

HayleyCPST

Also how far is it allowed to come up off the seat if I push the top of the car seat forward? It comes up pretty far so I didnt know if that was ok or not. I had a hard time getting it tight enough in my captains chair since there is plastic things on the side of my chair that make the CA slide around. I'll post pics as soon as I can get some uploaded.

Also today I saw a car with two boosters, they looked like the Cosco hbb, but one had brown plastic and some kind of brownish plaid cover and it had armrests. The other one was black and had no cover. It also appeared to not be made out of the same plastic as the Coscos are. It looked more like the plastic from a Regent?
I was just wondering what those were and if they were expired since I've never seen a brown seat before.
I don't think any convertibles require head support for FF. Only 1 combination that I know of and several boosters. Pictures would be helpful. I'm not sure what you mean by "how far is it allowed to come up off the seat". Usually for FF if the head rest is getting in the way, we remove it.

As for the booster, it was probably either an old evenflo booster or an old dorel. here's a site you can look through the pics. http://www.carseat.org/Pictorial/4-Boosters-np.pdf

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm pretty sure several of the Dorel combo seats require head support, but the convertibles don't.

You never test for movement by pushing on the BACK of a rear-facing seat, if that's what you're asking. Only pulling with one hand, at the belt path (where the seatbelt or LATCH belt goes through the seat, by the child's feet.)

turtlemama

Ok Thanks! I wasn't sure if the "must have headrest" thing applied to the CA's or not. I knew about the belt path thing. So even with lots of movement at the back of the seat RF it's fine? I just want to make sure. Right now I have it installed with the seatbelt since there was so much movement with the LATCH.

ETA the booster I saw was not in that list. I have a feeling it was a really old booster. I'll see if I can google it.

HayleyCPST

Ah it's fine. It's supposed to move up and down like that. Just not side to side like ketchupqueen said.

The Apex is the only combination to have head support. Plus all the dorel boosters. Don't even worry about the complete air.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There is at least a few other Dorel combos that require head support, besides the Apex, last time I checked. (But they're short enough it's not usually an issue.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC