WWYD?Radian position and recline

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
DD is nearly 3yo and 36lbs. RF in Radian XTSL.

I can get good installs using seatbelt in outboard and center position the the second row of my 07 explorer.

In the center, her seat is atthe 45 c=degree recline and does not interfere with the front seats.

OB it is more upright, however, it needs the passenger seat very far forward so that its not touching (cant touch due to airbag sensors).

Would you keep her in the center at the full recline or OB with more upright recline? I'm concerned more about the recline that the center/OB positioning.

FWIW- She likes being OB so she can see out the window.

ADS

HayleyCPST

Well rear facing AND being in the center certainly will offer the most protection, even being at 45 degrees.

Is she super complaining or you just think she might like being outboard better?

I'd keep her in the middle. She can still look out the window and the trunk. You probably have tinted windows of some sort so even in the center it will still be hard to see really well.

canadiangie

Are you using a locking clip in the middle? In my '03 explorer my radian installs at 45+ degrees :thumbsdown: in the middle if I just lock my belt, but if I scoot the boot out a bit and use a lc it stays put at about 35 degrees.

Pixels

No, because of her advanced airbags. Unless it says in there that it can't touch the passenger seat but can touch the drivers?

In most cases, the weight sensors are only on the passenger seat. They use a seat position thing on the driver's seat, and assume that (1) there is a driver, and (2) that driver is an adult.

Chely7425

Yeah, my 2010 you can't brace on the passenger side but you CAN brace on the drivers side. If you can brace drivers side I would do that... I know my oldest prefers being OB even though he is center right now because it is easiest that way.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I might be able to do drivers side, if its allowed. It might put me too close to the airbag though. I'll try it tomorrow. I'll also have the try installing center with the locking clip, the recline is what worries me, but I'd prefer her in the center too. Thanks!

jess71903

Ambassador
I have an '06 and and 80SL. I let mine touch the headrest of the passenger seat, but not push on it. I don't think it messes with it since it's not touching the body part of the seat. I was able to get mine more upright as time went on, too because the seat cushion got more and more compressed.

Just a warning- I have yet to get an acceptible install FF with the Radian in my Explorer. It seems tight side to side, but will slip forward very easily. I haven't been able to remove my headrests. You're supposed to be able to by using a paper clip in a little pin hole, but mine are stuck. I don't *think* it would change being able to get a good install, but you never know. It might.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Thanks. I have only played with it FF, it was tight side to side, but I didn't pull it forward. I'll have to check thst out tomorrow too. As of now, my plans are to move her into a Nauti once she's FF, but we'll see what my options are when we get there :)

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Evie- have tried a MA ffing in your explorer? How does it do? Mine is loaned out, but at a glance it didn't look like it would do well FFing.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Thanks. I have only played with it FF, it was tight side to side, but I didn't pull it forward. I'll have to check thst out tomorrow too. As of now, my plans are to move her into a Nauti once she's FF, but we'll see what my options are when we get there :)

On my third row it will slip when you try to pull the harness adjuster while ff. I have found that it is ok on the second row with the recline activated.

Though, mine is a 2004.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC