It's snowing, and I want to re-RF

NannyMom

Sofi has been forward facing. It's snowing now. The 1st snow of the season, and it's starting to lay. People here don't know how to drive in the snow :rolleyes: I have a newer, safe vehicle (Sienna), and Sofi's in the center, in a properly installed and tethered seat. Is it crazy that I have the urge to go turn her TFP back rear facing before I pick her up from school? :whistle:

ADS

Lea_Ontario

NOT at all.

I so wish Bear was light enough to keep him RF for the winter, but he's not.
He's got a TF, and it only RF to 35lbs, and he's over 40lbs now anyhow.

lovinwaves

I totally want to rear-face my kids this winter. But I have no seats that are convertibles anymore :p Well, I do have the Roundabout50, but then I would be picking and choosing who goes rear-facing and I'm not going to do that.

NannyMom

In my car, she would still be RFing. DH pushes it a little more than I do.
What does DH push? FF?

I totally want to rear-face my kids this winter. But I have no seats that are convertibles anymore :p Well, I do have the Roundabout50, but then I would be picking and choosing who goes rear-facing and I'm not going to do that.
That's why I was trying to sell my convertibles and get Nautiluses :whistle:

I kinda want her rear facing, period. But she's 4, the benefits have started to go down, and I feel it's ok for her to have an opinion now. And she does, she wants to be forward facing. She's still RF in SIL's car because I just haven't switched it around yet. She's still RF in Grandma's car because there's no TA yet :rolleyes: She has a couple inches in her My Ride, and she's about 33 pounds, so she has room in her TFP. Grandpa and DH have Nautiluses.

I have about 25 mins before I go get her. hmm..... decisions decisions.....

emtb79

Oh no the snow Id RF and then she could have the choice again after snow. Is the snow coming south?

pepsicola

I have a newer, safe vehicle (Sienna), and Sofi's in the center, in a properly installed and tethered seat.

Considering that the study that found toddlers are 5x's safer rear facing applies to side impacts, and the fact that she is 4, I say she is super mega safe.

NannyMom

Oh no the snow Id RF and then she could have the choice again after snow. Is the snow coming south?

I don't watch the weather. I didn't even know it was supposed to snow today :eek: My Mom saud it was snowing in Carroll County, I'm in Baltimore. I heard in Balto County it's already stopped. It looks to be slowing here.

I think you guys are going to push me over the edge and I'll have to go turn her seat....

ETA: Soon we'll all be livng together. Me, DH, Mom, Dad, Sofi. All except SIL who also has a carseat. So, if she's FF in some it won't matter. Between the 4 cars, she will have 2 RF seats.

ETA Again: I just mentioned it to DH. DH wants her forward facing. He was all for ERF, but thinks 4 is old enough. My Dad wants her RF because she talks too much FF (LMAO!), Mom wants her FF because she likes talking to her (so much so that she wouldn't let me turn her back around in Dad's car, lol).

babyherder

I think its reasonable to let the driver have some say. If your dad wants her rf and your mom wants her ff let her rf with your dad and ff with your mom (after she gets a TA). You have a lot of seats. I'd install one rf and one ff and when its snowing/there's snow on the road she rf. When its stops snowing she can ff.

andre149

DH pushes RFing longer than I do.

Can your DH talk to mine? lol. He's ok with it, but literally counting down the pounds until we can turn her because he wants to be able to interact with her more. :rolleyes:

ETA: I didn't mean the eye roll at interacting with your kids lol just at the fact that he wants to turn her for that sole purpose.

rodentranger

At four, I let the kid get a say. She is in a properly used and installed seat. She is safe.
My ODS is super excited to turn four on Sunday so he can be ff in my car again....which confuses me because he wanted to be rf in September and complained about it enough that I bought him an XTSL.:confused:

NannyMom

I think its reasonable to let the driver have some say. If your dad wants her rf and your mom wants her ff let her rf with your dad and ff with your mom (after she gets a TA). You have a lot of seats. I'd install one rf and one ff and when its snowing/there's snow on the road she rf. When its stops snowing she can ff.

That's what I'm doing. Except, when I was going to turn her back RF in Dad's car, My Mom nixed it before he even knew, lol. Everyone else can choose (Mom can choose after her TA). It's only my car that the snow has me wanting to turn her. Luckily it stopped snowing, so it's not something I have to decide today.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My 3.9 year old is RF'ing and will be through the winter. She was FF for part of the year, but it's just too scary when it's slick out there.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Considering that the study that found toddlers are 5x's safer rear facing applies to side impacts, and the fact that she is 4, I say she is super mega safe.

Particularly for any lurkers reading this thread, I did want to point out that when the authors of the study looking at 0-23 month olds used that "5 times safer" line, they were not referring to side impacts; they were referring to a statistic that showed that 12-23 month olds were safer rear-facing in all crash types.

There are several stats from the study that looked at 0-23 month olds. While one of those stats is about rear-facing in side impacts for 0-23 month olds, that's not the one being referenced by the authors of the study in the article which mentions the "5 times safer" line.

:eek: With all that dorkitude out of the way, I do think that a 4 year old is safe forward-facing. I totally understand the instinct to want to re-RF, though.

pepsicola

bree, I've seen this mentioned before by several cpst's, they were quoting the Sherwood study, I thought that is where the 5x stat came from? That first link does not name the study. :confused:

Edit- I see the second one is the Sherwood.

Also, op, sorry to de-rail your thread, I know how annoying that can be!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
bree, I've seen this mentioned before by several cpst's, they were quoting the Sherwood study, I thought that is where the 5x stat came from? That first link does not name the study. :confused:

Edit- I see the second one is the Sherwood.

Also, op, sorry to de-rail your thread, I know how annoying that can be!

I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean to derail the thread, I just didn't want any lurkers who stumbled upon the thread to think that rear-facing was only shown to be beneficial for toddlers in side impacts. I've seen people only reference the side impact stat, too, so I just wanted to make sure that the info about RF being safer in all crash types (as touted in the the article used to share the stats from the Sherwood study to encourage pediatricians to recommend rear-facing beyond 1) was out there, too. Sorry to derail and confuse; I'm a dork about this topic. :eek:

susanx4

I totally know what you mean! i have had Caroline FF for a few months now, and the other day she asked to go backwards but its so cold i didn't want to go out and do it! Well today with the snow it really stuck hard to the roads here when it started, and i was out driving, all i could think was i should of turned her Rf!!! a friend of mine that is a tech was at the party i was going to and when i saw her i told her the i reallllly need to go turn a seat around LOL... maybe tomorrow i will for winter... she has 10 lbs to go in her xtsl... i just don't like the location her seat has to be in to RF in my van and be upright enough

NannyMom

I told Sofi tonight that when it snows, she will have to be RF in my car. The TFP isn't that hard to flip from FF to RF in my van. I even have a 2nd TFP latch strap, maybe I could leave 1 in each belt path (bad idea anyone?) Since we will soon have a 1hr commute to get her to school, I'd feel better with her RF in the bad weather.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That definitely makes sense to me to RF her when it snows/bad weather.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC