how long will your kids fit the maestro

mamakc

I was looking at growth charts to try to guess when my DD will be 50lbs. She's about 70th percentile for weight (down from 85th most of her life!) The chart I looked at was for ages 2-5 and said she'd likely be 45ish lbs at age 5. My guess is that she'd outgrow it by weight somewhere between 5 and 6. As far as torso growth goes, if I go by 1" per year of torso growth, she'd fit until she was 7 or 8, but she's one of those rare kids who always outgrows things by weight before height.

I know the Maestro's tall harness slots are an advantage, but I keep seeing folks warn against buying a Maestro because it "only" goes to 50lbs. Even with my DD being on the heavy side, it'll get her well into a safe boostering age. So I am wondering at what age all of your kids would likely outgrow it, and by height or weight?

ADS

courtfrog2

My daughter is 6 (very average size) and she is just out of it. Her shoulders are perfectly lined up with the harness but she is 51lbs. I am impressed with the height weight ratio of this seat. Many seats are outgrown in height before weight.

And it makes an alright booster, although we have not used it as such.

fyrfightermomma

My kids both fit still. Evelyn is insanely tall for her age (46") but even if she were a normal weight for her age (around 45 pounds) she would still fit. She obviously still fits being only 28 lbs. LOL

Sophia is average. 40" and almost 40 lbs. Still fits fine with plenty of room. Both girls have plenty of growth and height weight. It should be no issue getting to 5-6 booster age with them

E is 5 1/2. Sophia is almost 4.

flutie128

I had DS sit in it and the seat seemed nice. I don't remember where he was compared to slots since we were really seat shopping for DD to RF in. He is however 52 pounds last time I check so the seat is a no go either way. He will be six in July.

mamakc

why is it referred to as just an "ok" booster? It's on the best bet list. Is it because most will have to buy a dedicated booster later on? In my specific case, DD will probably fit in it in booster mode until she's around 8 (but I understand she's short torsoed). But is it really a big deal to buy another booster later? Whether it's a $45 hbb or a $15 backless? I realize this might sound argumentative, but I don't mean it to be lol I'm genuinely curious as to why it doesn't seem to get as much love as the Nauti.

abacus2

The "only 50lbs" thing matters for kids who are already on the heavy side and/or who have been gaining weight quickly. We don't want to recommend it to someone with a 40lb 3 year old, for example, but 65lb weight limit seats we usually consider competitors to the Maestro are fine. My oldest was 41lbs at her 3 year check-up and hit 50lbs before she turned 4, so the 50lb limit of the Maestro would have made it a poor choice for her if it had been available then.

ETA: The Maestro would be a fine choice for my 34lb 4 year old Emily, but isn't likely to be a good choice in the future for 32lb almost 2 year old Naomi.

Pixels

If a booster is a "best bet," that just means it does a good job positioning the belt on the crash test dummy. What's more important is how the belt fits on your child in your vehicle.

Kat_Momof3

my daughter is 6.5yrs old (she'll be 7 in March)... she IS 50lbs... from how she lasted in the Nautilus and how she fit in the house when we tested her in the CA, I'd say she'd have outgrown it probably last year right about this time... because that's when (in the car) she outgrew harnesses with the height of the top slots of the Nauti/CA/Maestro.

HOWEVER... I will be doing some shopping next weekend... and if I can remember to take either my phone, camera, or both, I'll see if I can get her to test it out for me (it may require bribery, but I'm okay with that)

Most kids outgrow the booster about the same time as the harness... so not much sense in planning to use it as one.

AtTheSouthDam

DD1 would have out grown in her fourth year by weight but might have made it to 5 for torso. She outgrew the Regent, post advisory at 6 so her torso then was about 19.5ish inches.
DD2 will out grow it around 7 and a half by weight, 9 or so by torso height. It would be a great seat for her :)

karlatta

My two oldest will probably outgrow it at around the same time, and each by height and not by weight. They both have around an inch and 3/4 of harness height left right now, so I'm guessing around 2 years. That would put DD at just over 5 and DS at 6.5. Based on their current weights, I guess they'll be around 40-45 pounds at that point. I have thin kids with long torsos. It's possible, because my DD has a crazy long torso, that she might even outgrow the harness and not meet the 40 pound minimum for using the Maestro as a booster.

Interestingly, even though the Nautilus and the Maestro have similar harness heights, they install in my car differently enough that there's about an inch difference in remaining harness height. (The Nautilus gives more room.)

Mommy2Marcus

I have no clue, but I am quite sure that he will not outgrow it before he is booster ready. My guess would be around 7ish. He is 4 years old, weighs 35lbs fully dressed, is 42 inches tall & has a 14.25 inch torso right now. He is still well under the 3rd slots with probably about 1-2 inches to grow before he hits them. I know we can get another 2 years out of the harness. But probably 3-4 if I wanted to.

April

I have exceptional tall, average weight children, and they all wouldve outgrown it between 5 and 6 years old.
Posted via Mobile Device

April

I have exceptional tall, average weight children, and they all wouldve outgrown it between 5 and 6 years old.
Posted via Mobile Device

monstah

I'm trying to remember when DS hit 50 pounds. He was 4 though. Not sure how close it was to his 4th birthday. He turned 5 two months ago and weighs 57 pounds. He outgrew the MA by height while he was still 3, IIRC.

DD1 weighs 35 pounds and just turned 3. After dealing with her big brother, I feel like she would fit into the Maestro until college! :p

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Another year at least and he just turned 6. I'm going back and forth on moving his straps to the top slot on his GN and he's only 40#. AJ would've hit the weight max at 5.5 or so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC