Would you turn her ff?

featherhead

S will be 3 1/2 just after Christmas. She is a skinny thing. She's only about 30 lbs (maybe a bit less as she just had the flu), and fits well rear-facing in the TFP as well as the Radian. The problem comes because of the cold. Because she is so skinny her fleece jackets are really wide on her. Combined with her legs being so scrunched, it causes a lot of extra bulk by her hips, which makes it very difficult to buckle her. My husband will not do the coat trick, and he is usually the one to buckle her. I tried it out yesterday (finally put the seat back in after it being puked in on Monday) and it was WAY easier to buckle with her legs straight. I was hoping to make it to 4 years. What do you all think?

ADS

nevaehsmommy

I think she is at an age that it is up to you. We would all be safer RFing but the real world does not allow for that.

That being said if the issue is the coat trick, then I would be talking to DH about that.

andre149

I think she is at an age that it is up to you. We would all be safer RFing but the real world does not allow for that.

That being said if the issue is the coat trick, then I would be talking to DH about that.

:yeahthat:

If it's an issue with dh, I would talk to him and not turn her. However, if it's just an all around issue and it would be easier with her turned she's at an age where I would be perfectly ok with it :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I agree completely. Ask yourself honestly: is this a DH issue or a RF issue? And then you'll have your answer. Just know that if you can work through this hurdle, she could easily make it to age four RF because she's so small.

Lea_Ontario

I'd talk to your DH, take over buckling her in myself, get a couple of blankets to keep in the car, all before I'd turn her FF.

It's not a RF/FF issue, it sounds more like a communication issue.

emandbri

Elizabeth had the same issue with her fleece jacket, it would bunch up when rear-facing. I decided not to let it bother me figuring that even having the harness slightly less tight because of the bunching she would still be safer rear-facing. She also wore a car seat poncho most of the time.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I don't use even jackets on my harnessed kids. It's much easier to just put a blanket on the top. Once the car gets warm, they toss the blanket and they are fine.

I would also be okay turning a 3 1/2 yo although mine will be 4 in March and is about 29 pounds. She's going to RF forever lol.

featherhead

She does have a carseat poncho that I made but when it is regularly -20 - -30 (Celsius) and then windchill on top of that, just a poncho is not enough. If it was summer, I would have no problem keeping her rear-facing, but right now it's just not working well.

Mom2three

My DD is about the same size. She will be 4 next month, and I am going to turn her then. She cries that her legs hurt, or her back hurts. And her coats bunch and get in the way too. It is a constant battle. I am waiting until she is 4. I know at this point it doesn't matter...but for some reason having the date set and knowing she will be 4 makes me more comfortable, even if it is irrational. If you are comfortable with her FF then you have to make that decision. I wouldn't have turned my DD at 3.5 yrs, but I also wasn't in your situation.

Mommy0608

I turned my DD in one of our vehicles last winter when she was 3.5. We got to a point where it was a nasty battle every single time we had to go somewhere. Now, at 4.5 she's 34lbs and I turned her seat in the other vehicle as well. Figures, now of course she prefers being RF. :rolleyes:

At that age, I think convenience and the child's preference can be a factor. Maybe once you get past winter you could even turn her back RF if she's not opposed. Of course, I'd do whatever you can to keep her RF, but if it's just not going to work, then it's not going to work. Pat yourself on the back for doing all that you reasonably could.

canadiangie

Can she still fit an Ursus one piece? Or could you sew her a one piece fleece suit? My Soph is still squeezing into an 18mos one piece Ursus at 4.5, 36lbs, and 42". I prefer a one piece whenever possible to avoid the bulk and fuss you speak of.

Kat_Momof3

what about taking the coat in??

you could probably find a place that will tailor it pretty cheaply if you can't do it yourself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC