My car is frustrating me, seat belts are wacko

HayleyCPST

The way that my seat belts are in my car make the turbo fit funny. The base of the seat is pretty wide that it sort of covers the female end and it ends up jetting out at a harsh angle. If I center the seat it does this.
If I make the seat fit right, then it tips and the kids lean out of position, which we are having problems with anyways.

So, is this ok or should I look into getting a booster that has a smaller base? My seat belts are just funky.

Oh also, the seat belt is twisted 1/2 a twist and I don't remember it doing that either. I just noticed a few weeks ago. I've been putting the twist so it's not on the child, but should I talk to a mechanic to switch it back right? They'd have to unbolt it down by the hip.

ALSO, the way the turbo sits, when the kiddo is in the seat, it comes out of the belt positioner really easily if they move (which I can't avoid). They are very small children so could it just be they aren't "filling out" the seat well enough so that it stays threaded?

I hope this makes sense.

ADS

Keeanh

I don't know about the turbo at all, sorry. But about the seatbelt, has it always been twisted? I think some belts can swivel around the bottom anchor point, so that might be what happened. Or is it just the latchplate that is backwards?

HayleyCPST

I have that bolt thing that swivels. But if I swivel it around once then it will be twisted the other way.

I don't remember it being twisted but I also thing I didn't take notice until recently. This is the first time Ive used boosters regularly. It's not the latch plate.

HayleyCPST

A picture would be helpful - I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing.
Just saw this, we cross posted!

Ok so here is where the seat is centered and the seat belt is funny.
5e96015a.jpg

This is when I make it so the seat belt looks right.
7cbcdc89.jpg

Here's the twist:
402c42d9.jpg

And here's what I mean about the seat belt coming unthreaded and the seat tipping (it's much worse when the kid is in it):
c25fbd78.jpg

Let me know if you want more, it's right outside and it's still sunny (well, sort of)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It doesn't look like the TB is a good fit for your car. The seat belt latchplate probably just got flipped around though. Fold the seat belt webbing in half and force the buckle down over the fold and it should be fine.

HayleyCPST

It doesn't look like the TB is a good fit for your car. The seat belt latchplate probably just got flipped around though. Fold the seat belt webbing in half and force the buckle down over the fold and it should be fine.

OK, so would you say incompatible or just not a good fit? If I do that, then there's the 1/2 twist at the shoulder portion.

HayleyCPST

ok that's what I'm afraid of. I already made the mom buy 2 new turbo's for her car since she gave me horrible dorel boosters (one was expired).

Am I supposed to make her buy another one for my car or should this be my expense? I don't even know what would fit.

Pixels

If Mom already provided boosters for your vehicle, and you didn't tell her they were incompatible within time to return the boosters, I'd say this time it's on you.

HayleyCPST

Ok, thanks. This is so frustrating! I've never had huge problems in my car before. With Convertibles it's so easy and there's no tipping issues or buckle problems. But once they went to boosters...problems!

HayleyCPST

What are the safety risks for having the booster slanted and/or the belt fitting that way? Assuming the kids sit properly and the belt fits them fine.

Pixels

Having the belt come from behind the booster is an incompatibility. On top of that, your rigid stalks make a gap at the side, leaving slack in the belt.

The tipping itself would just be annoying, but fine as long as the kid didn't mind. However, the shoulder belt isn't staying in the guide, interfering with proper function of the booster.

Last edited:

Chely7425

I don't know how old your nanny kids are but can you just keep them harnessed longer? I know I will be keeping my oldest harnessed as long as possible simply because getting a booster into my car with 2 other seats is going to be a huge PITB!

HayleyCPST

They are 6 and 7 and have probably been in boosters for 3 years or so. The mom does not want me to harness them because they will complain To her that they are sitting in "baby seats". Trust me I've thought of it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC