Radian 65

1girltwinboyz

Does it recline in FF? I need 2 more carseats for my twinks for dh's truck. I have the MA for them in my honday ody and LOVE THEM. But cannot afford them right now. (See other post about graco comfortsport).

Anyways, reclining is an important aspect for me as my boys nap alot while riding. :)

TIA

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It does a bit. It has a little foot that comes down from the base (not the removable RFing foot) and gives about 20-30 degrees of recline.

Wendy

jennsmile

My youngest has the Radian65. We have a ford taurus. We have it reclined currently forward facing and he naps fine. He just leans his head on the side of the seat. I think I had more head problems in the snug ride and Alpha omega refacing then I have the Radian forward facing.
Jenn

scatterbunny

Those of you with Britax seats and the Radian--does the Radian, in FF recline mode, seem more reclined than a Britax in FF recline mode?

lovinwaves

Are your twins Forward-Facing or Rear-facing? They would sleep much better rear-facing (which is safer ;) ) in their carseats. My kids are rear-facing and love that recline. :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Those of you with Britax seats and the Radian--does the Radian, in FF recline mode, seem more reclined than a Britax in FF recline mode?

I haven't done a side by side comparison because DD2's Britax is installed RF next to DD1's FF Radian with the Radian's FF recline foot extended, but I do think the Radian would be more upright. :twocents:

Mom2nj

In my van the Radian is more upright than the Marathon, even with the recline feature. DD doesn't complain much because she doesn't sleep much in the car:( When she does, she usually puts her "teeny blanket" she has 4 all in different sizes that Grandma made, next to her head to help her sleep.

1girltwinboyz

I wish i knew about keeping them RF longer. Since its been a year FF, turning them around albeit safer is not an option now (for all of our sanity:( ).

Anyways, the MA recline I have a ? Do you install it and then recline it? Is it ok to recline the vehicle seat to get the MA to fully recline? All FF too.

TXZ

lovinwaves

I wish i knew about keeping them RF longer. Since its been a year FF, turning them around albeit safer is not an option now (for all of our sanity:( ).

My daughter went Forward-facing at 12 mths old (UGH, wish I had known better!), and then a year later at 2 years old I went to a CPS Check. They immediately turn her around rear-facing. She was *just* fine. :D

I have heard of some kids pitchin' a fit for few days, but after that they stop. I think your twins would be much happier rear-facing, since it sounds like they like that recline for sleeping. I like to think of my marathon's as large lazy boy chairs for my kids LOL!!

Here are some pix of my kids rear-facing:

4785589_200.ts1159586751649.jpg
4785521_200.ts1159586401079.jpg
8573465_200.ts1171777661495.jpg

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I agree with lovinwaves my youngest was ffing at 12 months, and turned rfing at 23 months old, didn't care for to long at all, and now much much prefers it for napping, it's really the BEST option for a reclining seat, FFing seats are safest when as upright as possilbe.

solmama

My 3yo loves her Radian. We have long car rides to visit family (12hrs) and do it all on one day. She doesn't have any problem napping in it-she just rests her head on the side.

tjham

I have both. Seems the MA is a bit more reclined.

I just installed the Radian FF with the recline. I had fits with figuring it out until Heather helped me! Her explanation was better than the manual's! I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:
"To recline the seat, turn it over (on its back). On the bottom, there's a metal bar that you pull forward toward the front of the seat. While pulling on the bar, pull the base of the seat out. The bar you're pulling will move in the "C" channel from the lower part of the "C" to the upper part of the "C" (look in the groove). Clear as mud? It's easy, just look at the seat or pg. 27 of the manual."

Last edited:

JaRylan

I had to use the recline in FF to get a tight install in my 2001 Malibu, centre, lap-belt only. I'm going to get my seat checked tomorrow and if the tech has time I would like to have them play with it and see if they can install it without the recline and get it tight. I'll probably reinstall it in recline because my son sleeps in the car frequently. Maybe they'll oblige me and install it rear-facing just to see how it fits just for kicks.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
It is generally considered that less recline is safer.

I still think you should consider turning them RFing, or atleast attempting to. I turned my ds RF after more than a year of FF, and he loved it, was actually happier that way, and was quite irked when he outgrew his seat RF.

The Radian is a good seat, if it can install correctly, but it sits more upright than some others.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Are your twins Forward-Facing or Rear-facing? They would sleep much better rear-facing (which is safer ;) ) in their carseats. My kids are rear-facing and love that recline. :)

I agree, RF they would get a good recline. And you never know they might think it is fun to RF again! My DS thinks it would be fun, but he now weighs too much to do it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC