Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radian 65

Carseat Crazy

Radian 65

Does it recline in FF? I need 2 more carseats for my twinks for dh's truck. I have the MA for them in my honday ody and LOVE THEM. But cannot afford them right now. (See other post about graco comfortsport).

Anyways, reclining is an important aspect for me as my boys nap alot while riding.

TIA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Radian 65

It does a bit. It has a little foot that comes down from the base (not the removable RFing foot) and gives about 20-30 degrees of recline.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

My youngest has the Radian65. We have a ford taurus. We have it reclined currently forward facing and he naps fine. He just leans his head on the side of the seat. I think I had more head problems in the snug ride and Alpha omega refacing then I have the Radian forward facing.
    Jenn

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Those of you with Britax seats and the Radian--does the Radian, in FF recline mode, seem more reclined than a Britax in FF recline mode?
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Are your twins Forward-Facing or Rear-facing? They would sleep much better rear-facing (which is safer ) in their carseats. My kids are rear-facing and love that recline.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    Those of you with Britax seats and the Radian--does the Radian, in FF recline mode, seem more reclined than a Britax in FF recline mode?
    I haven't done a side by side comparison because DD2's Britax is installed RF next to DD1's FF Radian with the Radian's FF recline foot extended, but I do think the Radian would be more upright.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

In my van the Radian is more upright than the Marathon, even with the recline feature. DD doesn't complain much because she doesn't sleep much in the car When she does, she usually puts her "teeny blanket" she has 4 all in different sizes that Grandma made, next to her head to help her sleep.
    Jane -
    DD - January 03-Seat belt
    DS1 - November 04- Seat belt
    DS2 - April 08- Graco Affix or Evenflo Amp

Carseat Crazy

I wish i knew about keeping them RF longer. Since its been a year FF, turning them around albeit safer is not an option now (for all of our sanity ).

Anyways, the MA recline I have a ? Do you install it and then recline it? Is it ok to recline the vehicle seat to get the MA to fully recline? All FF too.

TXZ

Quote Originally Posted by 1girltwinboyz View Post
    I wish i knew about keeping them RF longer. Since its been a year FF, turning them around albeit safer is not an option now (for all of our sanity ).
    My daughter went Forward-facing at 12 mths old (UGH, wish I had known better!), and then a year later at 2 years old I went to a CPS Check. They immediately turn her around rear-facing. She was *just* fine.

I have heard of some kids pitchin' a fit for few days, but after that they stop. I think your twins would be much happier rear-facing, since it sounds like they like that recline for sleeping. I like to think of my marathon's as large lazy boy chairs for my kids LOL!!

Here are some pix of my kids rear-facing:

Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

CPS Technician

I agree with lovinwaves my youngest was ffing at 12 months, and turned rfing at 23 months old, didn't care for to long at all, and now much much prefers it for napping, it's really the BEST option for a reclining seat, FFing seats are safest when as upright as possilbe.
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

My 3yo loves her Radian. We have long car rides to visit family (12hrs) and do it all on one day. She doesn't have any problem napping in it-she just rests her head on the side.
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"

I have both. Seems the MA is a bit more reclined.

I just installed the Radian FF with the recline. I had fits with figuring it out until Heather helped me! Her explanation was better than the manual's! I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:
    "To recline the seat, turn it over (on its back). On the bottom, there's a metal bar that you pull forward toward the front of the seat. While pulling on the bar, pull the base of the seat out. The bar you're pulling will move in the "C" channel from the lower part of the "C" to the upper part of the "C" (look in the groove). Clear as mud? It's easy, just look at the seat or pg. 27 of the manual."
    Last edited by tjham; 04-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.

I had to use the recline in FF to get a tight install in my 2001 Malibu, centre, lap-belt only. I'm going to get my seat checked tomorrow and if the tech has time I would like to have them play with it and see if they can install it without the recline and get it tight. I'll probably reinstall it in recline because my son sleeps in the car frequently. Maybe they'll oblige me and install it rear-facing just to see how it fits just for kicks.
    Jacqui ~ Rylan ~ 08.13.02 ~ 57.2lbs on 9/26/08 ~ Radian 65
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?

It is generally considered that less recline is safer.

I still think you should consider turning them RFing, or atleast attempting to. I turned my ds RF after more than a year of FF, and he loved it, was actually happier that way, and was quite irked when he outgrew his seat RF.

The Radian is a good seat, if it can install correctly, but it sits more upright than some others.
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinwaves View Post
    Are your twins Forward-Facing or Rear-facing? They would sleep much better rear-facing (which is safer ) in their carseats. My kids are rear-facing and love that recline.
    I agree, RF they would get a good recline. And you never know they might think it is fun to RF again! My DS thinks it would be fun, but he now weighs too much to do it!