Babies on planes msnbc article

ADS

xursusmaritimusx

I like when I see stories like this.
I wish that for the airlines it wasnt all about the $$$

If they could bring back child fares or for set a flat rate.

For instance, to encourage people to buy seats for their infants charge a flat rate of $50 for ages 0-2 and then like $100 for ages 2-10 or something like that. It would encourage more families to fly and keep kids safe!

In the long run I think airlines would see more business if it was cheaper for families to fly.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Great article. Is this state quoted from the article correct?

"Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children 14 and younger, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2009, 322 children ages 4 and younger were killed in car crashes."

I was under the assuption that car crashes killed more than 322 children. For some reason that seems like a very low number.

MomToEliEm

Great article. Is this state quoted from the article correct?

"Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children 14 and younger, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2009, 322 children ages 4 and younger were killed in car crashes."

I was under the assuption that car crashes killed more than 322 children. For some reason that seems like a very low number.

Here is what I found on the NHTSA site
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811387.pdf
During 2009, there were a total of 33,808 traffic fatalities in the United States. The 14-and-younger age group accounted for 1,314 (4%) of those traffic fatalities, which is a 3-percent decrease from the 1,350 fatalities in 2008. In 2009, there were an additional 179,000 children age 14 and younger injured, which is a 7-percent decrease from the 193,000 children injured in 2008.
In 2009, there were 322 passenger vehicle occupant fatalities among children age 4 and younger. Of those 322 fatalities, where restraint use was known (298), 92 (31%) were totally unrestrained.
L

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I just read a stat elsewhere that was five a day. But I'd presume that's "kids" under eighteen, whereas this is 322 or just shy of one child a day under four.

I hope and pray they pass the legislation. I was seated across from a lap child on a flight this summer and it just made me cringe. I was explaining to my friends (beforehand - not in earshot of the family) that I would never fly with a lap child, and why. I'd love for it not be a decision to be made.

BTW, the install of the seat in the picture looks odd to me. Seatbelts don't come out from the top of armrests - at first I thought it was somehow LATCHed to the armrests but it's too thick for that. Or maybe it's the seatbelt's tail?

DahliaRW

I didn't realize 3 of the 4 lap children survived that flight. Statistically, lap children on that flight had a better survival rate than those who were restrained either by the plane belt or child restraint. Now that is interesting.

Qarin

BTW, the install of the seat in the picture looks odd to me. Seatbelts don't come out from the top of armrests - at first I thought it was somehow LATCHed to the armrests but it's too thick for that. Or maybe it's the seatbelt's tail?

I can see the seatbelt coming up from where you'd expect it; I think it's either the Latch strap set out over there or, more likely, the seatbelt's tail.

I think it's unfortunate that they used a picture of a 2+ year old, rather than one who could legally have been able to fly as a lap baby (though the article misstates the rule as "2 and under" when it is "under 2").

jjordan

I didn't realize 3 of the 4 lap children survived that flight. Statistically, lap children on that flight had a better survival rate than those who were restrained either by the plane belt or child restraint. Now that is interesting.

I think the same thing whenever I read about that particular crash. 25% fatalities for lap children, 37.5% fatalities for (presumably properly restrained) passengers & crew. That one child that died is, of course, tragic. But the statistics of this particular crash aren't really doing them any favors if they're trying to make the point that it's safer to be restrained than to be a lap child.

DahliaRW

I think the same thing whenever I read about that particular crash. 25% fatalities for lap children, 37.5% fatalities for (presumably properly restrained) passengers & crew. That one child that died is, of course, tragic. But the statistics of this particular crash aren't really doing them any favors if they're trying to make the point that it's safer to be restrained than to be a lap child.

ITA. I think it totally has more to do with where you are in the plane when it goes down. That same lap child elsewhere in the plane may have survived. Just the opposite with the other 3. So if parts of the plane are "less safe" should we legislate that those seats cannot be used?

stephpook

I've been on four plane flights in the past two weeks and if I had a nickel for every time an airline employee asked me if my two-year old was a ticketed passenger I'd be a rich woman. Did they think if I was lugging a 22-pound Radian everywhere for the fun of it? Sadly, there was at least one other young child on three of the four flights and I'm pretty sure my son was the only one riding in a car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC