Homeschoolers

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Since we're staying in NY & there are a few co-ops here, I've decided to homeschool Leila ... although I'm sooooo nervous because I'm transferring to a bigger college (added stress?) + my parents' home (we live with them) is for sale so our indoor creativity is really limited!

My only income is from rental payments by my tenants & that's not even enough to cover my car payment + mortgage :( Any tips for homeschooling when you're BROKE & also any tips on being a college student, single parent homeschooler :confused: :eek:

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Tiffany,

Someone posted a similar concern on a homeschool message board that I'm on. Here's a response by someone on the list:

WORKandHOMESCHOOL@ yahoogroups. com

This is the group I just joined....someone else recommended it off another yahoo group (can't remember where). It seems to be pretty active--all types of situations and homeschoolers from all over the country. I'm looking to start working again doing something !!?? as I continue homeschooling as a single mom.

Good luck - I'm sure it will all work out in the end - it's just a matter of figuring out how to get there! :thumbsup:

scatterbunny

I wish I had some tips for you, but we're approaching homeschooling very relaxed--almost unschooling. I never thought it would work for us, but Hayley is still progressing nicely with reading and writing and math, without doing much actual workbook or "sit-down" type work.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I'd like that -- I just don't know if that's as likely while I've got a class schedule + my parents' TVs are forever always on.... She's learned some math & is recognizing new words etc. just since we've been home for her spring break, all simply through play! I deinitely want our time together to be ENJOYABLE, not "sit down do this now no laughing" type stuff :eek:

Michi

There are numerous FREE curriculums and resources available online.
If you are looking for a Charlotte Mason/classical/literature based curriculum - you might want to try http://amblesideonline.org/
Another good one is http://oldfashionededucation.com/

Here are several other great sites that you might want to check out:
http://www.starfall.com/
http://www.abcteach.com/index.html
http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html
http://www.tlsbooks.com/mathworksheets.htm
http://www.aplusmath.com/
http://www.peepandthebigwideworld.com/

By using the internet and your library - anyone can homeschool for FREE - if they are willing to put a little time and effort into it!

Best wishes!
Michi

Paperdragon

Hi,

There may be cyber schools you can sign up for. A cyber school is a public school that provides curriculum, computer, internet connection etc to your child at home. The hitch is that you have to turn in tests, assignments or whatever at their schedule, and record attendance daily. This can be very minimal (ours requires daily attendance and tests in math and LA once every month and one writing assignment per month to be turned in). Some cyber schools require many assignements/day to be faxed in. The pros for us was the computer, supplies and DSL paid for (we don't have much money either). The cons is remembering to get things turned in on time and record attendance daily. Hope this helps.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Brooke:
I sat in on a full day of Kindergarten & then some -- unbelievable how intimidating it was, how uninterested & miserable the kids seemed. Leila's PreK teacher is already saying that she might not be ready academically although her progress report was excellent :confused: The issue being our frequent travel. That's not likely to stop & the school isn't willing to offer traveling parents related activities to do away from school. Leila is a smart kid & likes school now because the PreK department is separate from the elementary school -- they're more flexible, involved with each individual child. After observing & talking to a whole slew of homeschooling families vs. those using public school, I believe that Leila & I will actually have more quality time together homeschooling. Especially since the school she's in now is 1/2 hour away. I could save a lot of $ avoiding that steep winding cliff road trip twice a day! The closer school was just horrible! All the doors except the main front door are supposed to be locked from the outside, visitors are supposed to get a name tag, etc. I couldn't even find the front door & every other door was unlocked -- I ran into at least 3 staff members in the hallway & none of them asked if I needed assistance or had signed in! My absuive ex has threatened on numerous occasions to kidnap Leila -- I am not letting her into that school :eek: Since I can't afford Montessori or Waldorf (they don't have enough financial assistance funds), homeschooling actually promises less stress if I can just convince my parents to keep the freakin' TVs off at least sometimes :rolleyes: My life has been so busy for years now & I'm still planning to travel overseas when the chance arrises anyway, so I think homeschooling will be easier on both me & Leila.... If I lived in a less supportive community, I probably wouldn't homeschooling, but this area has a sooooo MUCH local support for homeschoolers.

Michi:
THANKS for the links, we've been using Starfall for about a year now :thumbsup:

Well, I commend you. I love homeschooling. DS loves it. DD's beg to do it with us (even though they can't do much yet, they insist on it!) We fit it in here and there throughout the day/week. I use sonlight curriculum, but it's not a very inexpensive option. I have several friends here who use it, so we usually trade back and forth. There are tons of websites with good free stuff. Also, if she's in the kinder age range, we started out with the $4 workbooks from Wal-Mart and just other "life" stuff. The pearls (nogreaterjoy.org) have tons of fun at-home ideas. She wrote words like "door" and "window" on 3x5 cards and taped them to those items to help her kids learn to read. Count forks as she sets the table. Look at letters/words on street signs. There's so many fun and non-stressful ways to do it. And I know lots of single moms who do it...so you'll be fine!!!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Just a suggestion about the TV being on while you're away. One thing that might help is educational CDs/games for her to do instead of staring at the TV...? Or another activity? It's hard to tell someone else what to do in their home - we've been through that with both sets of grandparents, but if you have something as an alternative...? Maybe eductional things on the computer is not as great as manipulatives, original art, etc, but it's a lesser evil IMHO. :)

BrookeSLP

QUOTE=papooses;123086]Brooke:
I sat in on a full day of Kindergarten & then some -- unbelievable how intimidating it was, how uninterested & miserable the kids seemed. Leila's PreK teacher is already saying that she might not be ready academically although her progress report was excellent :confused: The issue being our frequent travel. That's not likely to stop & the school isn't willing to offer traveling parents related activities to do away from school. Leila is a smart kid & likes school now because the PreK department is separate from the elementary school -- they're more flexible, involved with each individual child. After observing & talking to a whole slew of homeschooling families vs. those using public school, I believe that Leila & I will actually have more quality time together homeschooling. Especially since the school she's in now is 1/2 hour away. I could save a lot of $ avoiding that steep winding cliff road trip twice a day! The closer school was just horrible! All the doors except the main front door are supposed to be locked from the outside, visitors are supposed to get a name tag, etc. I couldn't even find the front door & every other door was unlocked -- I ran into at least 3 staff members in the hallway & none of them asked if I needed assistance or had signed in! My absuive ex has threatened on numerous occasions to kidnap Leila -- I am not letting her into that school :eek: Since I can't afford Montessori or Waldorf (they don't have enough financial assistance funds), homeschooling actually promises less stress if I can just convince my parents to keep the freakin' TVs off at least sometimes :rolleyes: My life has been so busy for years now & I'm still planning to travel overseas when the chance arrises anyway, so I think homeschooling will be easier on both me & Leila.... If I lived in a less supportive community, I probably wouldn't homeschooling, but this area has a sooooo MUCH local support for homeschoolers.

Michi:
THANKS for the links, we've been using Starfall for about a year now :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

We live in a high support place as well, which is nice. I wish you the best of luck! I am ordering our curriculum (Sonlight) next week. We are going to start in June. Let us know how it goes.

Yay! Another sonlighter! (Warning, they also have a very addicting "board") If I'm not here, I'm there!!!

Also, I think sonlights boards are open to anyone. If you haven't purchased new curriculum from them, there's a small fee, but it allows you access to other parents who are homeschooling with all sorts of curriculum, as well as sonlight.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sonlight: that's one I'd requested free info from last summer just to gather more resources JIC one day I decided I'd like to homeschool -- lost it during my move, though :eek: I think I did check out their forum, too & had free access to some threads :thumbsup: I'll check that out again, too....

Just a suggestion about the TV being on while you're away. One thing that might help is educational CDs/games for her to do instead of staring at the TV...? Or another activity? It's hard to tell someone else what to do in their home - we've been through that with both sets of grandparents, but if you have something as an alternative...? Maybe eductional things on the computer is not as great as manipulatives, original art, etc, but it's a lesser evil IMHO.

Yes, yes! The TV in Leila's playroom is set only to the Sprout channel so at least my parents don't have to worry about teenage programming coming on when they're not looking. Our big Xmas theme was board games & cards, etc. so now Leila bugs my dad to play those with her instead -- he still keps his TV on, but was glad to compromise by sticking to sports instead of reality murder mystery stuff :eek: Leila is very into sports now, though :whistle: (I never was as a kid, but that's probably because I had orthoses + asthma :p) Leila does have a bunch of preschool workbooks, a mini karaoke thing, kids singsong learning "computer" & Leapfrog, etc. She also has her own account on my laptop -- I leave it home all the time because the battery just doens't last anway: Starfall is the default URL & my mom likes to help her access the other kid stuff in the favorites folder :) My parents also just replied to my email announcement about staying in NY & wanting to homeschool -- she actually asked me to write out a sort of schedule and/or list of rules that *they* should follow to help make this a succes :love: Wow!

Just talking about this is making the decision easier. At least for a summer long trial run, LOL. We didn't make the local funschoolers' learning center activites for this summer, but we're on the waitlist for fall so I actually feel like I'm ahead of the game somehow, LOL. I also found about 1/2 dozen homeschooling families only about 5 miles away with kids Leila's age :D

Before she was old enough for the inexpensive nursery school (through the highschool technical & Special Needs center where each young child had a 1:1 ratio with a highschooler + 2 adult lead teachers) she came to work with me & very early on showed signs that she was very ready for a more engaging environment than I could offer at work. The local homeschoolers helped us so so so so so much with ideas on how to have enough hands on activities & involvement in an office setting without taking up too much space. I was also inspired to learn how to use my cell phone alarms with fun ring tones so that every so often I would stop whatever I was doing to read to her, play a game, take a walk, etc. I'm thinking of starting off our "official" homeschooling just about the same way. Our favorite thing before was to choose a weekly theme of some sort that fit the season & some holiday (celebrated anywhere in the world by any culture), setting that theme to song & dance, writing, reading & even making various forms of artistic creation to blend it all together (often in the form of food rather than paint). Leila still remembers when we were learning about apple harvest -- we marched around the trees naming the different creatures we saw, collecting different things from the ground & made a collage to look like an apple, then learned an apple song in American Sign Language as well as the basic notes on the piano & dressed up like a farmer to put on a show for my parents. That's the kind of stuff I'd like to do again & I think all the writing we'll need is to tell Daddy about it in a letter ;)

Last edited:

Suzibeck

You have already been given my good free links.

I use my library a TON!

My main curruculum (Social Studies, Language Arts, Science, Art, Applied Math) is Five In A Row. I buy the manuals, which are not really expensive http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=59009&event=1016FIR|67069|84657 and then borrow all the books from my library. You may be able to get a manual from your library to get a feel for how it is done and then do it on your own. It really isn't hard, I just like to have someone else do the work for me.:whistle: I love FIAR because it is such gentle learning with real books and hands on activities. My kids remember an amazing amount of stuff because they are relating it to the books they have read.

I also use some of the Rod and Staff materials. My youngest loves the Preschool Workbooks that pablomichi mentioned, which is basically Kindergarten material. Their math, reading... curriculum doesn't start until 1st grade but it is anything but delayed even with officially skipping K. I'm currently using their math and english with my oldest and she is WAY ahead of the public schools here. I'm using their 2nd grade reading with my middle and that picked up pretty well from where she was last year at a very strong reading charter school.

Good luck! I LOVE homeschooling!

Ooops! Link didn't work, cut and paste or search for Five In A Row at Christianbook.com

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oooooooh -- does anyone know the website that starts with an "E" ... enchanted somethingorotherorsomethinglikethat :confused: I used that before for song lyrics & remember there was a maybe monthly calendar + tons more printable stuff for all ages! (I think a $20 fee per year?)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
She wrote words like "door" and "window" on 3x5 cards and taped them to those items to help her kids learn to read. Count forks as she sets the table. Look at letters/words on street signs. There's so many fun and non-stressful ways to do it. And I know lots of single moms who do it...so you'll be fine!!!

Oh yeah, as soon as Leila turned FF we started reading road signs :rolleyes: It was the only way I could keep her from complaining about her dangling legs -- the hitch was that she quickly became a bossy backseat driver :p We also had everything labled in the house with the women's clinic downstairs (we lived upstairs), but my parents didn't like that for their house ... I'm going to present the idea again :whistle:

southpawboston

he still keps his TV on, but was glad to compromise by sticking to sports instead of reality murder mystery stuff :eek: Leila is very into sports now, though :whistle: (I never was as a kid, but that's probably because I had orthoses + asthma :p)

are you saying that with disappointment? i wasn't sure... what's wrong with exposing her to sports and seeing if she enjoys it? sport can be a wonderful, wonderful thing if introduced and taught in a way as to not teach that competition is not more important than the game itself.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
are you saying that with disappointment? i wasn't sure... what's wrong with exposing her to sports and seeing if she enjoys it? sport can be a wonderful, wonderful thing if introduced and taught in a way as to not teach that competition is not more important than the game itself.

No, not dissapointment, really (only insofar as all the local Prek/K spring sports teams are full) ... just a sort of "well, huh" kinda thing because I was so different ;) & you hit it on the head in that last little bit about appreciating the game itself rather competition (my dad is a total competitive NUTCASE -- everyone's blood pressure spikes around him + sports :eek:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC