What I overheard at the hospital today...

Joddle

A woman next to the lady I was caring for, on the phone to a relative/friend.

"The midwife said I HAVE to leave today, they have no room for me to stay tonight. So I'll have to get a taxi. It won't have a car seat but someone told me I can just put the baby on the floor".

Ok, so maybe it's "legal", but WHO would put a 4 day old newborn on the floor of a taxi!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Better than holding them on their lap!! Wrap them up snugly and put the baby at their feet. They're compartmentalized down there.

They will sometimes recommend the same thing for lap babies on airplanes in emergencies.

Wendy

Joddle

Ok yes, so better than the lap lol!
But still, I cannot even begin to believe that someone would do that with their newborn.
The way this lady was talking, she had a car seat somewhere. I would have gotten that dropped in to use in the taxi.

Jennee

here they dont let babies leave the hospital unless they are in a carseat. it doesnt matter if you are going home by car, taxi, bus or walking, the baby does not leave the hospital unless they are in a carseat and the nurse will check.

vonfirmath

here they dont let babies leave the hospital unless they are in a carseat. it doesnt matter if you are going home by car, taxi, bus or walking, the baby does not leave the hospital unless they are in a carseat and the nurse will check.

The hospital I am looking at says you can not leave without an INFANT Seat:

"In accordance with state law, FDA-approved infant car seats must be used to take your new baby home."

Does Texas have a law requiring an infant seat to go home?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The hospital I am looking at says you can not leave without an INFANT Seat:

"In accordance with state law, FDA-approved infant car seats must be used to take your new baby home."

Does Texas have a law requiring an infant seat to go home?

There's no such thing as an FDA approved seat.

But a convertible that fits an infant is an "infant car seat."

tanusscott22

Wisconsin also has laws that won't allow new parents to leave with out a car seat, but the nurses will not check to be sure the child is strapped in properly. It is a liability for the hospital if something happend.

kitkatkc

This makes me like our hospital even more- they checked the straps, made sure they were the right height, that DS was in tight enough and everything.
Now, they didn't make sure that I put the actual car seat in the car correctly... we had the infant seat in the hospital room... so I guess I *could have* left and put the baby on the floor of the car :O

Keeanh

Back in 1979, when I was born, my parents lived a couple blocks from the hospital. My mom walked to the hospital in labour, and was planning to walk home with me a couple days later. The nurses made my dad walk home, install the car seat, and drive back to the hospital to pick me up. My mom says she always wondered what would have become of me if they hadn't owned a car :p.

The strangest part to me was that car seats weren't required until 1981, so presumably it would have been okay for them to drive me home without a car seat. But not okay for them to walk home :confused:.

Baylor

Back in 1979, when I was born, my parents lived a couple blocks from the hospital. My mom walked to the hospital in labour, and was planning to walk home with me a couple days later. The nurses made my dad walk home, install the car seat, and drive back to the hospital to pick me up. My mom says she always wondered what would have become of me if they hadn't owned a car :p.

The strangest part to me was that car seats weren't required until 1981, so presumably it would have been okay for them to drive me home without a car seat. But not okay for them to walk home :confused:.

I have a similar story. I was born in the 60's. No car seats really.. So When my parents drove from TX to Pa, They put me in a box on the floor in the back. My mom said, I slept the whole time practically.

My father drove my mom to hospital, Walked home and then called my mom the next day to tell her someone stole the car.... LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC