TFP After Total Loss Collision

bella_1818

I'm a big car seat nerd and after my resent total loss accident I was really excited to strip my car seat and see how it performed. Here's my show and tell if there are any other interested car seat nerds out there:

My Jeep Liberty was rear ended by a drunk driver while I was stopped at a red light. The drunk driver was traveling at a high rate of speed and the Jeep was eventually declared a total loss. My TFP was unoccupied and installed backseat center using the seatbelt installation method. Here are pictures if anyone is curious. I'll be throwing it away in pieces over the next three trash pick up periods, so if there is a picture you'd like to see, ask quick.

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/bella_1818/

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Did the seat belt come unbuckled to that position in the car seat during the crash? Or is that from the body shop trying to pull the seat belt out of the belt path?

Hope everyone was unhurt, and sorry that you had to experience this!

rodentranger

I'm glad you're okay!
I'd be interested to see pictures of the beltpath and where the tether strap connects to the seat.
I wonder if there would have been more evidence of a crash if it had been occupied and weight bearing.

bella_1818

Posted the pictures of the belt path and tether point. I wonder how it would have done occupied also, but glad I didn't have the opportunity to find out first hand.

bella_1818

Did the seat belt come unbuckled to that position in the car seat during the crash? Or is that from the body shop trying to pull the seat belt out of the belt path?

Hope everyone was unhurt, and sorry that you had to experience this!

My husband was the only one in the vehicle at the time of the crash, so I don't know if it came unbuckled. He said that it was still in place and looked normal. :rolleyes: I suspect that the body shop unbuckled it but couldn't remove it because they didn't know about the belt clip so they just cut the seat belt.

geekKT

I find this interesting!

Really glad to hear everyone was okay, and that it was unoccupied, even if my own curiosity wonders what differences there might have been.

smackeen

Glad to know you DH is ok. Interesting to see the pics too.

Btw, did you mention to the mechanic that seats in crashes are no longer safe to us?

Kobain's Mommy

Glad everyone is OK!

I think it's a positive that they had to cut the belt with the seat. Now when the SUV goes up to the salvage yard the person possibly redoing it will have to buy a new seat belt! My dad's friend rebuilds crashed vehicles for a living and I know first hand he doesn't check out any of the seat belts.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
That's really interesting, and it illustrates how little visible damage there often is even after a severe collision. A visual inspection of a seat with unknown history tells us exactly nothing.

Thanks for sharing!

bella_1818

That's really interesting, and it illustrates how little visible damage there often is even after a severe collision. A visual inspection of a seat with unknown history tells us exactly nothing.

Thanks for sharing!

Totally agree! If I were a horrible, unethical person (I'm not :D) I could put this seat on ebay and pass it off as an almost brand new seat. I'm so afraid somebody would steal it out of my trash and use it that I've been throwing it away a few pieces at a time and I've written all over the shell in sharpie just in case someone finds it at the dump.

It is okay to sell the cover though right?

disbugsmomma

Yes, it is perfectly fine to sell the cover. :thumbsup: Is the harness removable? If so, since it was unoccupied you could sell that too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC