Expired booster seat.

U

Unregistered

I just found out about carseats expiring and not to take used carseats. Well I have both! My son’s booster seat expired in 2007 and I got it at a 2nd hand store. It’s a centery booster with a harness.
I don’t have the money right now to get a new carseat. I do have a back less booster I could use but my son is only 2. He does weigh 37 pounds & is 40 inches tall.
What should I do?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You need a harness seat that goes beyond 40 lbs. He CAN NOT ride in a booster, and the Century one is atleast 8 years old. You will have to find a way to buy a seat.

Where do you live?

U

UnregisteredOP

Judi: I live in KY. the booster I have says it can be used for a child over 1 year and 30 pounds. I don't want to use it but I didnt know which was better.

Wendy: I tried the health department and they're out of seats. there is no safe kids coalition in my area.

Thank you both.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd give the state police a call, see if they know of any programs. Same with any local hospitals.

Wendy

momtoo3

A car seat makes a great holiday gift from a caring family member. Is there one you could ask? Since he is forward facing an Evenflo Maestro ($79) would be the cheapest seat the comes to mind and would harness him for 13 more pounds. It harnesses to 50 pounds and becomes a booster but does not last very long as a booster. Otherwise a Graco Nautilus ($140) has a 65 pound harness and becomes a high back and no back booster when he is older and ready. It could be the last seat he needs. There are also several convertible (rear face/ forward face) that go to 40 pounds rear facing (much safer than forward facing for a 2 yr old) and 65 pounds forward facing. If you go that route just ask for recommendations. HTH!

U

Unregistered

I don't have anyone to ask for that kind of thing(more then $20 is too much for my family).

Thank you for the ideal though.

What should I do until I can get a new seat for him? Do I let him use the expired carseat or the backless booster? The booster was given to me for him. it was my nieces but she rides in a seat belt now.

Thanks.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can your family give you a $20 card, then a friend do the same? Or multiple people? Then you can go to walmart or target and get a Scenera.

In the meantime, I have no idea. Which backless, and does it have a shoulder adjuster strap? I'd probably say the backless. Fewer things possible to go wrong.

Wendy

SignCuer

A car seat makes a great holiday gift from a caring family member. Is there one you could ask? Since he is forward facing an Evenflo Maestro ($79) would be the cheapest seat the comes to mind and would harness him for 13 more pounds. It harnesses to 50 pounds and becomes a booster but does not last very long as a booster. Otherwise a Graco Nautilus ($140) has a 65 pound harness and becomes a high back and no back booster when he is older and ready. It could be the last seat he needs. There are also several convertible (rear face/ forward face) that go to 40 pounds rear facing (much safer than forward facing for a 2 yr old) and 65 pounds forward facing. If you go that route just ask for recommendations. HTH!

:yeahthat: I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a 2 year old in a backless booster because they definitely do not have the maturity for that.. HOWEVER, if I had to choose between an expired seat or a backless, would choose the backless. But IMO, I wouldn't go anywhere unless I got a proper seat for him.

Maestro or Scenera are your best bet... However the Scenera may not last very long since he's 37 lbs and Scenera goes up to 40 only.. but it may last long, who knows?

My suggestion is to get a Scenera for now then maybe ask for a car seat (like the Nautilus because it will last him for a GOOD while, maybe the last one he needs!) for Christmas for him since it's only 3 weeks away (yikes!) :eek: so it will give you time.

Good luck! :)

U

Unregistered

it's a cosco backless booster. it doesn't have a adjuster strap. I've tried him in it but he just won't stay and my seat belts don't lock so he can get out. he just turned 2 in Nov so he's only 25 months. I think I'm gonna have to use the carseat and hope I don't wreck. I know it sounds bad but he's only in the car like once a week at most.

thank you all for your help!

I'm going to try and borrow some money and get him a Maestro.

christineka

I, personally, would risk the expired seat, provided that you install it properly. Car seats don't go bad on the date of expiration. There was a horrific crash involving a big van. The two kids in expired and recalled car seats were the only ones to survive the accident. (I think.) I would not put a 2 year old in a backless booster. I'd choose the harness and save up every penny I could to buy a decent seat. I would also keep checking the swap board here. Sometimes people need to get rid of older seats for cheap.

jess71903

Ambassador
it's a cosco backless booster. it doesn't have a adjuster strap. I've tried him in it but he just won't stay and my seat belts don't lock so he can get out. he just turned 2 in Nov so he's only 25 months. I think I'm gonna have to use the carseat and hope I don't wreck. I know it sounds bad but he's only in the car like once a week at most.

thank you all for your help!

I'm going to try and borrow some money and get him a Maestro.

This just made me wonder- how do you have the seat installed? Are you using a locking clip? What vehicle do you have? (year make model)

U

Unregistered

jess71903: I've got the seat in the middle with a lap belt. it locks. but I can't use a lap belt with the backless booster, right?

Kat_Momof3

that's right, you can't.

and I agree... for a 2yr old, I'd rather an expired seat over a backless booster... and don't kick yourself... when we know better, we do better... so just concentrate on the good... you now know, so you can save for the new seat... and in the meantime, at least he's safer than kids that aren't restrained properly in the seats they have or using a seat that doesn't fit him.

andre149

I think everyone has given you good advice so far. What I would do is tell family members that instead of toys or other things for Christmas that they get you a gift card to whatever store works for you (just make sure you tell them all the same one) and explain the situation to them, saying that this is what he needs to be safe. Honestly, I would absolutely sacrifice on my child having things they wanted for Christmas to have something they needed, especially at 25 months old. Your best bet for the money and for lasting him a decent amount of time is probably an Evenflo Maestro. It harnesses to 50lbs I believe. I would try not to ride any more than you have to until you can get him a seat. Also, contact police departments and safe kids coalition (if you have one in your area) at the links above, some of them give seats to families in need. It will likely only be a seat that will get him to 40lbs though, so I would still try to get a Maestro, but that could help in the meantime.

skaterbabs

I disagree that the expired seat is the safer choice in this instance. If we were talking about a seat that expired in Sept of THIS year, sure. But the seat in question expired three years ago. A $25 high back Turbo Booster would be preferable in this case, although I admit that I really hate the idea of a 2 yo in a booster.

OP, do you by any chance have a church/community center/etc that could aid you in purchasing a seat?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree that I can't, in good conscience, recommend either a 3 (or almost-4) year expired seat or a backless booster for a new 2yo. Both are potentially deadly choices. I'd be calling around tomorrow morning -- police departments, SafeKids in neighboring counties, relatives to get $10-$15 from each even if it means returning Christmas gifts, anywhere I could think of.

cso1997

Consider not taking him anywhere until you get a new seat. There are some very scary drivers on the road that should have their licenses revoked (if they even have one). It isn't necessarily if you can drive safe enough. The "other guy" is a real threat.

A seat that is newly expired is one thing but yours expired years ago. I wouldn't use that seat because who knows how it will actually hold up when force is applied to it. If he won't sit properly in a booster and tries to get out, that is a huge distraction to your driving.

If you take him somewhere and he is hurt, you will always think of the what ifs. If you can keep him out of the car, then you will never be put in that position. Good luck!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC