Question Is he old enough for a no back booster, pics included

mlohry

So after taking pics of my 6 year old in a HB booster, it was determined that he best fits in a HB TB, which I already own for his brother, we are going to order a Cars cover for it from Graco to make it his own seat. My question now is brother who is 8, average height, about 55lbs will need a new seat. Can I go with a no back booster for him? He is getting close to outgrowing the TB HB, so I really don't think it would last him more than a year with the back, so I don't know if it would be worth it to buy and I don't want to shell out a whole lot of money for a more expensive higher height one. I took some pics of him to show what he looks like with the back and without.

OK, 1st 2 pics are in the TB with back on, the back is maxed out, if it is lower he complains it hits him in the shoulders.

#'s 3 and 4 pics are in the TB no back

Last pic is a Harmony I just picked up at Walmart for my mom's car, not sure if I like it, it was hard to make sure the belt was thru the path.

Let me know if you think he is ready to go backless. If not, what would you suggest we get for him. If he is OK backless, what seat would you suggest that is backless?

Last edited:
ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My 8yo outgrew the TB HB also. At age 8 and not before, I'm okay with a backless (if they are tall, my dd will be in a HBB forever lol).
I personally like the Harmony. I have 2 now. The only thing is you have to make sure he knows to thread the belt under the guides (arms) since they are small. It's nice and light though and my son loves his camo boosters (they look more grown-up).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The fit is good with the backless. At eight I'd have no problem with that.

The Harmony's fit is good as well, if you guys like it.

Wendy

ya know I just recently made the choice to switch Julianna (also 8) to a low back turbo booster in my husbands car, basically cause of space issues with the tight 3 across in his passat. she still has room with the back but I feel like she is old enough to sit once in a while with out it.

I wouldn't have been comfortable with it before age 8 for her.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I agree. I like the fit of both backless. Whichever you prefer. :thumbsup:

At 8yo I think it is safe to put him in one. ;)

Splash

I don't care about the booster (no, I do, they both look fine), but I just want to know what kind of story you were telling to get all those faces out of him!

Kat_Momof3

I think he'd do fine in a backless (as long as he doesn't fall asleep... if he does, I make no promises)... but if you WANT to keep him in a highback, and you already ordered and have a Monterey, why not give HIM the monterey?? his brother can inherit it when he outgrows it!

mlohry

[I don't care about the booster (no, I do, they both look fine), but I just want to know what kind of story you were telling to get all those faces out of him]

That's funny! We live in MN and when I was taking these pics it was about 10 degress out and he was freezing! That is why I am sure the faces got a little interesting!

Regarding the Monterey, we just went to look at them, we don't actually own one. Do you think a Monterey would fit him better, I guess it didn't fit my 6 year old very well. Maybe I should swing by that store again and take some pics of Sam in it.

[I think he'd do fine in a backless (as long as he doesn't fall asleep... if he does, I make no promises)...]

This is my kid that basically hasn't ever slept in the car, since birth. I remember when he was about 6 weeks old he stayed awake, basically screaming the ENTIRE 4 hour trip to visit my in laws, it was pure torture! I think the last time he fell asleep in the car was after a long camping trip, and that was 2 Summers ago, he just is not a car sleeper. Now his brother, does sometimes, different story there.

April

8 year old in the nbb looks fine to me. My oldest has been in a nbb since 8.5 due to space /tight three across issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kat_Momof3

Regarding the Monterey, we just went to look at them, we don't actually own one. Do you think a Monterey would fit him better, I guess it didn't fit my 6 year old very well. Maybe I should swing by that store again and take some pics of Sam in it.
I think it would fit him better than his brother, simply because he is older and taller... and if you want to keep him in a highback, then I'd go try it out... or try the parkway SG... both are taller than the turbo... HOWEVER...

This is my kid that basically hasn't ever slept in the car, since birth. I remember when he was about 6 weeks old he stayed awake, basically screaming the ENTIRE 4 hour trip to visit my in laws, it was pure torture! I think the last time he fell asleep in the car was after a long camping trip, and that was 2 Summers ago, he just is not a car sleeper. Now his brother, does sometimes, different story there.

since he doesn't sleep in the car, I'd be fine with him in a backless booster... it's that lovely conundrum... extra SIP vs. being seated further back in the seat and giving more room between him and the front seat in the event of a crash. I think it's a toss up and really depends on what you and he want.

For Damian, when he outgrew other highback boosters at 7/7.5, I was fine... he rarely slept in the car and was able to sleep in a no-back booster fantastically... so when the Monterey came out, even though he still had room in it, I bought it for his brother (mostly as I couldn't have put two in the van, anyway, unless I put my youngest in the third row by herself, and with her being ff, that wasn't happening)

I chose to leave him backless for space, but also because he preferred a backless and was fine being in one... combined with that I knew he'd outgrow it as fast as he did.

Whereas with his brother, I would give ANYTHING to rationalize finding an original frontier and getting it for booster use because that boy can sleep upright in his backless for small amounts of time... but after 10-15 min (and he's a BIG car sleeper... he drifts off easily), his head bobbles from the slanted headrests and he's woken up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC