Alberta Occupant Restraint Manual

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm wondering if this is part of the course material for getting certified in AB?

There's some good info in there, and some old info that isn't best practice - mainly the recommendation for using shield boosters if the vehicle only has a lap belt. It was put together in 2003, and does emphasize the importance of rf'ing. Goes through different seatbelt types and the like - and I can now say I know what a seatbelt shortener is... I imagined it quite differently.

I must say though, the law here in the province is dumb. The law to be out of a harnessed seat is 40lbs or 6yrs old, whichever comes first. So a 40lb 2 yr old could be in a booster, but a 35lb 5.5yr old would still legally have to be harnessed... doesn't make much sense to me - maybe the 40lb thing is there because we don't have a lot of high weight harnessed seats?

Anyways, I thought you guys would find this interesting & I'm curious to hear if those of you taking the tech course get the same info.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
With booster seats sold in Canada, they have a minimum 40lb weight requirement. So if parents/cargivers would look at the seat requirments and not AB's law then really there shouldn't be 2yr olds in boosters.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I read that manual too. Overall, it was done pretty well.

I have found out that the tech course we take is national... meaning there should not be any variances province to province.

I'm taking my certification next month in Regina because it is next to impossible to find a course here in Calgary, let alone a seat check. No one offers seat checks here anymore. I'm hoping to rectify that once I am certified.

snowbird25ca

With booster seats sold in Canada, they have a minimum 40lb weight requirement. So if parents/cargivers would look at the seat requirments and not AB's law then really there shouldn't be 2yr olds in boosters.

It only says 40lbs, with no age minimum is what I was meaning. ;) So 40lb 2yr olds can legally be in a booster, but a 38lb 5 yr old can't. (Obviously because of the minimum weight of 40lbs requirement, but does seem dumb that 2yr olds can be in a booster if they're over 40lbs... I met one person who had a 41lb 2yr old and yep, he was in a booster. Dad had no plans to move him even after I told him of higher weight harnessed seats available. :whistle:

QuassEE

In British Columbia it's legal to drive a 20lb infant without a restraint, as long as it's not your own child. They do legally have to be in a seatbelt (how the heck would you get a 6m old to sit in a seatbelt, anyways?)...

Can't say Alberta's too lacking, now.. ? :)

-N.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It only says 40lbs, with no age minimum is what I was meaning. ;) So 40lb 2yr olds can legally be in a booster, but a 38lb 5 yr old can't. (Obviously because of the minimum weight of 40lbs requirement, but does seem dumb that 2yr olds can be in a booster if they're over 40lbs... I met one person who had a 41lb 2yr old and yep, he was in a booster. Dad had no plans to move him even after I told him of higher weight harnessed seats available. :whistle:

DUH!! Yes now that I have come back and read it agian I knew what you were talking about, LOL! I was having a too early of a morning moment! Sorry bout that :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC