Dangers of wearing a coat in a car seat

mommyof3tx

Ok so I know the dangers, there is a discussion on another forum where I have shared the videos on you tube about it and told them about putting the jackets on backwards, fleece, blankets, etc. Which they seem to get but one is asking for actual evidence and research showing the dangers. Anyone have the link to anything like that for me :)

ADS

rachelandtyke

This is a recent thread with videos http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=146707&highlight=winter+coats (in case there are any that you haven't seen or posted).

Did any of the videos you posted show the slack created by puffy coats? And explain how that slack could lead to ejection in an accident? (I"m assuming they did). That "should" be evidence enough, but sometimes people are bound and determined to be argumentative no matter what is said or shown or posted, etc.

mommyof3tx

Thanks I'll pass that on too.

Anyone have anything else that actually shows statistics or some sort of evidence proving it. I know these show it and it completely makes sense to most but she really wants actual evidence found by some research

mommyof3tx

This is a recent thread with videos http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=146707&highlight=winter+coats (in case there are any that you haven't seen or posted).

Did any of the videos you posted show the slack created by puffy coats? And explain how that slack could lead to ejection in an accident? (I"m assuming they did). That "should" be evidence enough, but sometimes people are bound and determined to be argumentative no matter what is said or shown or posted, etc.

Yeah it was this video that I posted

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1LJaOIu34"]YouTube - Snowsuits/Winter Coats and Carseats[/ame]

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks I'll pass that on too.

Anyone have anything else that actually shows statistics or some sort of evidence proving it. I know these show it and it completely makes sense to most but she really wants actual evidence found by some research

I doubt you will find research of this type. Like many issues, there simply isn't the funding to prove or disprove every possible risk. This one seems more like a common sense issue. For example, I doubt you will find independent, peer-reviewed and published research comparing the self-stabbing rate among kids in houses with unsecured drawers vs. those that have child-proof latches on drawers with knives in them. Plus, with carseats, there are other factors involved, like how well adjusted the harness was with or without the jacket. That's something almost impossible to determine after a crash. It's a risk, it's real, but there's probably not much proof in terms of actual evidence.

Coats aren't always a bad thing in a child seat. Where much of the risk comes in is if when you loosen the harness to accommodate the coat. One comparison is to leave the harness adjusted for the coat, then put the child in the harness without the coat. If the harness seems really loose, especially to the point to where the child could wiggle out of part of it, then it's down to common sense that there is a safety risk.

mommyof3tx

Thanks I figured that might be the case, it just makes sense, it can be shown in those videos and we know that that type of material would compress...like you said common sense. She seems to have accepted it and says she won't be using the big puffy snow suit in the car anymore so that's good :)

simplychels

My most solid "proof" of the danger was listening to a paramedic in my course (who was taking the course) explain the accident scene when he came upon the vehicle, bucket intact, snowsuit intact, straps buckled, baby ejected. The sound of his voice wavering as he was trying to finish the details was solid enough proof that it DOES happen in real life.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
My most solid "proof" of the danger was listening to a paramedic in my course (who was taking the course) explain the accident scene when he came upon the vehicle, bucket intact, snowsuit intact, straps buckled, baby ejected. The sound of his voice wavering as he was trying to finish the details was solid enough proof that it DOES happen in real life.

That gave me chills. Seeing something like that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC