what to bring to tech training?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I've seen some threads with advice like "bring a water bottle" but I'm wondering about the "class" portion also....??
do i need pens? Paper? Am I supposed to get a book before hand or will they give something to us there? Water bottle...do the classes break for lunch? Will i be allowed to leave, or do i have to stay at the site? for the outside portion...um, can i decline politely to have them use my (thoroughly trashed to an embarrasing level of filth) vehicle? Also...i only wear skirts due to personal reasons, hopefully that will not be an issue?
Also, do i need to bring my receipt or anything with me? I registered online....I have these fears of showing up and them going "nope, names not on the list!" or something like that!!
LOL, I am so nervous!!
calm me down!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Everyone's bottoms/behinds stick out of car doors repeatedly during the hands on stuff -- you will want comfortable pants so as not to show off your "goods" :eek: :p

It can't hurt to bring water, extra paper or pens & a snack or cash JIC, but my class provided everything :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wear long skirts to install car seats all the time. If you wear skirts enough, you are used to it! Bring a water bottle and receipt. The class supplies should be provided. Also, clean your car! Bring any car seats you have, it provides more for everyone to play with!

scatterbunny

I didn't bring anything to class except for comfy clothes (LOL), a clean car and all my carseats. Once in awhile something to drink, but drinks and snacks and even lunch were provided, as well as the training manual, highlighters, pens, and everything else needed. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Judi, you must be more woman than I because I wear skirts all the time & no way in #e!! was I about to be climbing in vehicles in front of a bunch of burly men in one :ROTFLMAO: My instructors told me to wear jeans, but cloth pants are so much comfy than jeans so I ignored that :whistle:

scatterbunny

I wore jeans every day (well, one day some stretch khakis that stretch too much throughout the day and end up falling down by lunchtime, ugh those were annoying!) and loose-fitting, lightweight (because you get HOT wrestling with all those carseats in all those unfamiliar seating positions), long-ish (so it didn't ride up when I was bent over a seat) high-cut shirts (no low scoop necks or V necks).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
long-ish (so it didn't ride up when I was bent over a seat) high-cut shirts (no low scoop necks or V necks).

DITTO :cool: I was all about the long breathable shirts with tank top underneath + comfy cotton workout pants or drawstring pants (that stay on the waist but don't cause weird thick painful creases to dent my knee when I'm puting my weight into a seat like jeans do) :twocents:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I know -- you're not clumbsy like me :rolleyes: :p Mine are also below knee but not ankle length & while I can do everything else in them just fine ... I can't install my own carseats in them without literally falling on my @$$ so I can just imagine how jumbled up I'd get in them when nervous :eek: :whistle:

scatterbunny

Hehe, I think I could install seats wearing a skirt without showing too much skin, but I don't think I could do it in a skirt without getting all caught up in the skirt and acting like a dork. :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Exactly & then comes Tiffany falling out of the car backwards with skirt above her head, LOL!

Actually, this is painfully reminiscent of my only time riding in a rikshaw (sp?) to see a Broadway show in Montreal -- the guy put the handles on a taxicab rear bumper & wasn't paying attention: the light turned green, the cab took off & I went FLYING onto the pavement (everyone on the street saw my panties, LOL)

bbartlettnfld

Unless your skirts are really loose I would try for a long skirt, or if you can manage it pants, or at the very least wear tights! You are going to have to kneel in the seats which will mean hiking your skirt up unless you want to rip it.. You are going to be in the vehicle with one and possibly 2 other people, you won't want to be worried that your showing too much leg.
Other than making sure you are comfortable, as depending on where you live it could be hot in the vehicles, I always put on a tonne of skin cream before hand as I hate it if my skin is ultra dry.. Avoid hand cream until after though!
BethAnn

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, wear skirts, it's any kind of top that people can look down that's going to be way more embarrassing ;) Give yourself a 'lean forward' test... ask your dh if he can see down your shirt and if he can't you're good to go

Bring a light sweater/jacket even if it's warm out, you never know how much airconditioning they'll be blasting you with :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Our lunch breaks were long enough that I drove home for lunch every day. I think most of the other people in my class went out to eat. I did bring snacks for the mid morning and afternoon break times.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
My class provided pens, pencils, highlighters and the manual, plus lunch everyday. If you're picky, you might want to bring a snack or something.

They used my car - and I hadn't had time to clean it out, but they said once I do a few check up events I'll consider my car clean, LOL! They never touched my seats. They had about 30 demo seats to use and I don't think they wanted the liability of other people playing with my Britax's. I did remove my MA so they could use my car for installs one day.

I wore jeans or khakis every day, but I'm not a skirt person. It was tight quarters being in the back seat with another person who was also installing a seat. I agree with the recommendation of tights or leggings under your skirt.

Our classroom was always cold and it snowed too (this was last week!). So I'd recommend a sweater too.

Good luck and enjoy it!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Okay..well, i think i'll probably bring some pens JIC...i'd hate to be the only dork that doesn't have a pen! And i'll dress appropriately for the weather, which, given that it can change from 70 and sunny to literally snowing within 24 hrs here right now, will likely involve layers, LOL! And yes, i'm very used to wearing skirts, I don't even own any pants, lol, and they are floor-length, so nothing "shows" lol!!!! the only seat i have right now that is usable is our Vision, oh, and our crappysport, plus 2 "lovely" ones my helpful parents picked up for me secondhand...i'm saving them until i find out where they can be taken to be destroyed!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You can destroy seats yourself (very therapeutic, LOL) or just donate them to the instructors for training :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
If you don't want them to use your car, which I think is totally resonable, just act like you don't have one there. At our class they had everyone who drove hand their keys to the instructor so she could note seatbelt types and LATCH locations. We had over 15 cars to choose from so don't feel bad if you don't want to offer yours up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC