Vent Cannot get this right!!!

mamakc

I cannot seem to find the right seat for DS! I thought the Complete air LX was perfect, but I was (oops) installing it wrong by accident and now that it's right it doesn't fit in the car! I thought I had the base all the way reclined for RF, but it was on the 3rd setting instead of the 4th. Now it's at 45 degrees and I can't get it anymore upright and the passenger seat is ALL the way forward (not comfortable for us up front!). The radian we had before had the same problem w/ being too reclined for him (our seats are very flat and don't compress much) and we had the SL issue.... Not to mention we HATED it with a passion. :)
We are returning the CA LX. Should we try the regular CA without the base? I really liked the seat and I'm SO bummed about this.

I am open to suggestions. He is 31-32lbs 33.5 inches tall, 13.5 inch torso. I want him RF for at least another year, longer if possible. Need a 40lb RF seat w/ a tall enough shell and can be installed more upright. I really like infinite harnesses, and really dislike continuous harnesses (one thing I didn't like about the CA), but I can make do either way. I tend to move seats somewhat frequently so easy no-brainer installation would help too. :) Did I just describe a myride?
I keep saying this, but WHY oh WHY doesn't the TrueFit go to 40lbs RF? :crying:

ADS

cookie123

Well there's the Graco My Ride, which everyone seems to love and it rf to 40 lbs. I haven't used it, but I'm tempted by it! Otherwise, the Britaxes, which don't tempt me. What about the Evenflos? I'm not sure if any of those rf to 40 lbs. Off to check!

Okay, the Momentum 65 and Triumph 65 rf to 40 lbs. Your other choice is the Target model Scenera, which you probably won't want. I'd say your best bet for taking up less front to back room would be the Triumph 65, just going by what I've read on the board here. A lot of people love it here. It has lots of leg room. Oh, it's best if your seat back is flat or the knobs can dig into the seatback, making them difficult to turn.

Can you make a trip to Babies or ToysRUS? They'll let you try some out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it's just the base causing the problems, I'd say yeah, get the non LX CA and you'll have no problem! On a FLAT seat, totally flat, it sits at about 30-32 degrees. So, um, yeah, in almost any vehicle it needs a rolled towel or pool noodle(s) to get a decent recline but OVERRECLINE is not usually a problem!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree, a regular CA with no base you can install more upright...I also like the triumph65 and with such a short torso, it could work.

abacus2

A regular complete air should be perfect. I was able to get a beautiful upright rfing install when I tried one in my little car.

mamakc

OK so here's the thing. I sometimes need to install his seat in friends' vehicles. It is not practical to attempt to remember to bring pool noodles along just in case I might need them. I need something that can be installed most of the time w/o a noodle (why I picked the LX in the first place... grrr...) I'll go to toys r us today and try them out. I hope they have a myride. I know they have the CA and Triumph65

jjordan

I'd also try one of the new Britax seats. You'll get an easy install and a seat that takes up very little front-back space. When I tried my 4 year old in various seats on the test bench at BRU, she was exactly *at* the RF height limit in both the BV70 and the MyRide, and her torso is maybe 16" or so (guessing based on growing room left in her current seats).

mamakc

I'm kind of assuming that I cant afford a Britax. Is there any way to get one down into the $170-200 range?

jjordan

The roundabout 55 is easily $160 on sale (20% off MSRP), and if you get lucky, you might find a marathon70 for about $200 (it is $225 at 20% off MSRP).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just wanted to throw out that it's not that hard to bring a towel along. If you don't need it, you can throw it over the seat to keep it cool while you're out of the car. ;)

But yeah, with a short kid a Roundabout 55 might work for you. An Evenflo Triumph Advance (or Triumph 65) could work too. :)

hrice

Just throw some noodles in your trunk and keep them there. That way you can't forget them. You wouldn't leave until the seat is installed anyway.

mamakc

Is he short? I mean I know hes on the short side overall, but I assumed he has a long torso because his is the same as his sister's. Is a 13.5 inch torso short on a nearly-two year old? If so that would mean his sisters is BEYOND short lol. Thank you for all the suggestions. Off to BRU to try out some seats!

Keeanh

Is he short? I mean I know hes on the short side overall, but I assumed he has a long torso because his is the same as his sister's. Is a 13.5 inch torso short on a nearly-two year old? If so that would mean his sisters is BEYOND short lol. Thank you for all the suggestions. Off to BRU to try out some seats!

I don't think his torso is short. My daughter is taller & older than your son, same weight, and has a slightly shorter torso. She looks pretty average to me, so I'm thinking you're right about your son having a long torso.

mamakc

Alright, well I happened to sell some cloth diapers today so the MA70 just fell into our price range (provided it's on sale). It has all the features we desire except the super tall shell, but I am wondering how much time he might have left before he outgrows it RF? What do you think?

JackMA702.jpg

The other one we tried was the Triumph65.

JackTriumph651.jpg

Are the shells the same height or is the Triumph a little taller? Hard to tell. Hard to choose.

swtgi1982

If you can push from behind the seat the CA can be done without noodles or towel. I know you said the seat was flat and firm but if the seat back is not so firm you canpush from behind and get it in without noodles or towel that is how I do all three of mine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC