Farmers insurance- won't cover car seats

HayleyCPST

My stupid derelict neighbor backed up into my parked car over a year ago. No one was in it and there were no injuries although it watched the whole thing. I had to replace all 3 cars seats. The stinky head had no insurance but I luckily had uninsured motorist coverage.

Farmers will not cover my car seats because it's personal property. They would only cover it if I had like an integrated car seat an it's part of the car. Those seats were so expensive.

Help? Anyone have farmers?

ADS

HEVY

I just got Farmers, needless to say, I'm not happy with that policy :thumbsdown: I'm going to have to ask them.

HayleyCPST

Farmers has already fixed my car and whatnot, I'm just looking back after the fact. I realized They will not cover them. So I called and they said no way it's personal property. She gave an analogy to having an owner plug in their iPod which gets damaged in a crash. They won't cover it. She said I will have to use the homeowners insurance but it will make my moms premiums go up too high for such a small claim.

I looked at that thread and it was helpful but farmers believes they need to be replaced, they just won't cover it. I didn't ask for a letter though stating about further injuries and such. That's a good Idea. There is NO WAY my neighbor will pay either. I'm currently stalking him to pay me back for the rental car. I made him sign a contract and everything. He has until January before I take him to court.

Last edited:

emntheboys

Farmers has already fixed my car and whatnot, I'm just looking back after the fact. I realized They will not cover them. So I called and they said no way it's personal property. She gave an analogy to having an owner plug in their iPod which gets damaged in a crash. They won't cover it. She said I will have to use the homeowners insurance but it will make my moms premiums go up too high for such a small claim.

This is absolute total BS.... A carseat is NOT the same as an iPod. A carseat's ONLY intended use is IN the car. An iPod can be used everywhere, not just in the car. I have talked numerous times with my insurance company and have had many people within that company confirm that a carseat IS a part of the car and NOT personal property. This means it is covered under the car policy, not your homeowners! This makes me soooo mad. I would seriously think about contacting your lawyer. :twocents:

MySillyKids

Farmers does replace seats. They go by NTSA's guidelines, however. I had an adjuster come to my house to check out the damaged seat.

They did, based off of 1 seat, pay for all of them. I had to fax in a receipt.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Insurance companies might have different guidelines in different states, but it might help to cite how others have had seats replaced by Farmers.

I would put up more stink, but I, too, wonder what seats they were and what the collision was like.

What seats have you been using for the past year?

HayleyCPST

I'm not sure how fast he was going, but pretty darn fast. I think what happened is he mis-shifted and actually went into reverse instead of drive. He always floors it when he's leaving so we all know he's gone.

According to the NHTSA's guidelines, only 3 of them really apply to me. I don't have airbags and there weren't injuries (does emotional count??). For some reason, even though my car was hit from the front, my rear driver door had to be replaced. There wasn't any apparent visible damage to it but after the incident, I had a very hard time opening and closing it due to the hinge falling off so it was replaced. I could drive the car away but the entire grill of my car fell off.

As for the car seats, I had a como, marathon and radian. The radian had to be replaced regardless of damage so I didn't even look at that one. I remember looking at the como and marathon and for some reason the como became unbuckled which was very strange to me. There was a little grey stress mark on the belt path but I think it was because of the buckle. For the marathon though, the red webbing showed on the tether a little. The seat itself was tan so I couldn't see any stress marks even if there were some. It sucks because I had just purchased the MA and como literally a month before this happened. And the radian was 2 months old also.

ETA: just to add, this case isn't closed yet because my neighbor still owes the deductible to Farmers. It's been sent to collection. Since the seats are long gone, how can I have an adjuster come out to see the damage?

Just my luck I ended up buying a Signo for the replacement which got recalled, so they sent me a G2. I had lots of covers...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
This is absolute total BS.... A carseat is NOT the same as an iPod. A carseat's ONLY intended use is IN the car. An iPod can be used everywhere, not just in the car. I have talked numerous times with my insurance company and have had many people within that company confirm that a carseat IS a part of the car and NOT personal property. This means it is covered under the car policy, not your homeowners! This makes me soooo mad. I would seriously think about contacting your lawyer. :twocents:
Add to that, a child is required to sit in a car seat by law in most places and it is required to be closely coupled to the vehicle by installation via the vehicle's seat belt OR anchors designed for that attachment.

HayleyCPST

Add to that, a child is required to sit in a car seat by law in most places and it is required to be closely coupled to the vehicle by installation via the vehicle's seat belt OR anchors designed for that attachment.

Yeah I'm with you here. From their website: Under the Comprehensive and Collision portion of your policy, optional equipment (a CD player for example) is covered only if permanently installed in the opening of the dash where the manufacturer would normally install such equipment. (what if it is permanently installed in the seat with the seat belt?

An endorsement is available to provide coverage for optional equipment not permanently installed in the dash and for theft of items such as tapes, discs or other equipment designed for the reproduction of sound. So why didn't they cover my car when someone broke into it and stole my sound system??

HayleyCPST

That sounds to me like enough damage where the seats really do need to be replaced. Good luck!

Yes, I agree. Hence why I replaced them all!

I'll call them back again later and see if they will agree. Maybe if I talk to a different person.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I didn't even notice any repairs to your car. Your body shop must have done a spectacular job to find exact parts in your color.

I didn't have anything to offer to this thread when I saw it a few days ago. Someone had posted a link to help with insurance companies, which was more than I would have done (I would have just said to have them write a letter).

But after a year I'd probably just suck it up and let it go. We never got our deposit back from our landlord after they went under last year. It's not worth the court fees and lawyer fees for a $1900 deposit. We'd end up paying well over that to get it. Our bad to rent from someone who was so far gone. We'll check out anyone better in the future. We learned something important to the tune of $1900.

Wendy

HayleyCPST

I didn't even notice any repairs to your car. Your body shop must have done a spectacular job to find exact parts in your color.

But after a year I'd probably just suck it up and let it go. We never got our deposit back from our landlord after they went under last year. It's not worth the court fees and lawyer fees for a $1900 deposit. We'd end up paying well over that to get it. Our bad to rent from someone who was so far gone. We'll check out anyone better in the future. We learned something important to the tune of $1900.

They did a great job fixing the front. They even fixed things that weren't broken from the accident! My rear drivers door is actually a different shade of blue than the rest of the car. It's not that noticeable but I can tell.

OK, I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC